Direct Mail Saturation Strategy

Direct Mail Saturation Strategy

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I spend a lot of time sorting and analyzing my farm data in order to target motivated sellers. One reason is to control marketing costs. The other is so to make sure the right message gets to the right target.

I'm wondering about replacing the targeting with saturation instead. I have a new farm with 10K SFHs. For the sake of discussion, let's say I don't eliminate any addresses except corp owned, very highly valued props, and props purchased within the last 2 years. Say I end up with 8K SFHs. If I hit each address three times a year and my piece costs $.50, I'd be spending $12K on marketing for a year for this farm. I don't have to do but one deal to make it pay for itself.

There's a ton of waste in there because it includes all owner occupant and owners with no known distress. That being said it saves a ton a time on the lead sort and analysis. It also takes out the subjective nature of the sort. Currently, I don't send to most owner occupants unless I determine a possible motivation. So the owner occupant with a distress or motivation that I can't determine from data doesn't hear from me.

Thoughts?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
14y

The marketing I do is actually very simple, but...I've done it for so long that...I don't even think about it.
The biggest number of questions I get involves the marketing.
Can I get a copy of your brochure?
How do you market to MLS properties?
How do you work with agents?
Although it's outrageously simple, it actually goes beyond the scope of a simple reply on a forum.
I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I will put together a video of how I work with agents and I'll figure out a way to send you a link to it.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Do you hire someone else to do your direct mail?

  • Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
    14y

    K.Marie, I no longer do any marketing and my marketing experience is in another business, but when I did market, I found that a key element is Branding.

    If you put yourself out there as a resource in the right way, when someone has a need or has a friend in need you will come to mind.

    Your post discuses how much the mass mailing would be but how much would the normal mail be as opposed to the mass mailing. So part of the $12K you are already spending. The consideration then is the incremental cost of adding to that mailing.

    With regard to mailing to distressed situations only, I find that the obvious candidates, pending foreclosures and bankruptcy etc. leave out a large segment of the distressed homeowners who don't even consider that they have options in this market.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    I ONLY do direct mail, but I do to anything on the MLS, within price ranges.
    I think your marketing depends on what you are planning to DO with the property.
    Are you focusing on one angle, or various angles.....

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Michael Lauther:

    With regard to mailing to distressed situations only, I find that the obvious candidates, pending foreclosures and bankruptcy etc. leave out a large segment of the distressed homeowners who don't even consider that they have options in this market.

    Michael: I feel that focusing on certain distresses that are known to me is leaving out so many possible leads. I have several targets that I've focused on over the years and some of them show up multiple times on one property. For example one property could have: deceased owner, code violation, mortgage default, out-of-state mailing address. My response rates on targeted mailing suggests that they are motivations. But they are a small percentage of properties in any farm I've ever worked.

    I bought a property in December that was owner occupied with no apparent distress. She got a letter because I was targeting everything on the street. She owned free and clear, she had bought it in 2008 and wasn't going to be able to sell for what she paid. She had put on a new roof, and had done a lot of repairs. But her biggest challenge was severe pet damage and not wanting to show the house. There was no way I could have known that from targeting. Sometimes I get calls from people about their primary residence, when the the target was their rental property.

    So for me, it seems marketing is what is working first and targeting second. I'm also thinking that repeated mass mailing, if done right, is branding. My new farm is a small town and assuming I'm not competing with a ton of other mail marketing, or that mine is better, I think hitting all addresses could really pay off.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    John Jackson I want to know more about marketing to sellers on the MLS. I get a call from an agent every time an owner gets a letter from me and shares it with the agent. They call all ruffled and accusatory about going around them. I then have to explain that I send lots of letters, etc. Only once did an owner call and beg me to make an offer, any offer, through her agent. Is that what is working for you?

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    The marketing I do is actually very simple, but...I've done it for so long that...I don't even think about it.
    The biggest number of questions I get involves the marketing.
    Can I get a copy of your brochure?
    How do you market to MLS properties?
    How do you work with agents?
    Although it's outrageously simple, it actually goes beyond the scope of a simple reply on a forum.
    I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I will put together a video of how I work with agents and I'll figure out a way to send you a link to it.

  • Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
    14y

    You have me thinking K. Marie, I cant buy all the property that fits my strategy in my farm area. Perhaps with a little marketing I can become a wholesaler too. My problem is once I have a money money making property I don't want to sell it. Sooner or later I will run out of cash. I am much better at buying than I am at selling.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    John Jackson I'm guessing if you've got a site called "lease option classes" that you've probably thought a lot about marketing. Or at least enough to create a product or service that teaches it. "Outrageously simple" but "beyond the scope of this forum"? I'll pass.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    HA!!! No no no....K.Marie...what I meant was...if I were to try to TYPE what I do...the responses I give etc....it would put people to sleep....
    It really is easy and simple, but to TYPE OUT what I do, or how I present this or that, although simple, would BORE PEOPLE TO DEATH!!!

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    Sometimes things are easier to see/hear than to read, so if I put a video together on how we work with agents I'll send you a link.
    Believe me...I refuse to sell you anything.....although...I do have a 2002 Excursion that I'm thinking of selling if the price is right....

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    OK..quick update...Ford found 2 connectors that need to be replaced on the AC harness...so...the Excursion is no longer for sale....meanwhile, I'll still post how I work with agents/brokers.

  • Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
    14y

    Good morning John, will be glad to read your post , boring or not.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    I'll record me discussing how we work with agents, since we only market to listed houses, then I'll have my VA transcribe and I'll post the transcription here in the next few days, or I may post as a new post to help others.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    K. Marie Poe Michael Lauther and whomever else cares....I recorded myself discussing working with listed properties and the agents, and my VA did the transcription. I didn't edit it, so forgive any "um".."err..." or whatever...hope this helps...

    Yea I’ve tried every type of marketing I think that there is but for years and years all I’ve done with ‘Leasing to Buy’ is direct mail marketing

    We get the lists of properties that are for sale on the MLS and we print those off. We print those labels off and send out brochures or postcards and hit the direct mail; or I'm sorry listed properties.

    We don’t sort by expired or out of state owners. We just hit them all; out of state owners, those that have been on the market for 30 days, 90 days, 120. It doesn’t matter we just hit them all- as long as they are in a certain price range

    Now often people will ask how that work does. How do you work with agents? And; how does that come into play? Doesn’t that irritate the agents?

    When I first started off years ago doing the direct mail, I did get calls, on occasion, from agents that were furious: Just foaming at the mouth furious. And I would try to explain ‘Here’s what we do, here’s how this works’ and they didn’t care. They didn’t want to have anything to do with it. I could have told them the sky was blue. It didn’t matter to them; they didn’t believe me. And they were just furious that I was trying to; they felt that I was trying, to go around them to get at their client. This is actually not true. Our brochures and our information clearly states that we will work with the agent. We never ever tell any homeowner, any listed homeowner; to cancel their listing. Never! We’re not here to limit their marketing ability. We’re here to expand it to a whole other pool of people that the agents aren’t hitting. So were not trying to go around the agents, or step on toes. We’re trying to expand the marketing capability and options the owners have. So, we will certainly work with agents and have no problem working with agents.

    Now I don’t, matter of fact I honesty can’t remember the last phone call, you know angry phone call; I got from an agent. Years ago they would call very, very angry. Now if I get a call they want to know how we can work together. In some cases I’ve actually had them ask how, or can we go to work for you. So I don’t get the angry calls anymore. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been around for so long now or if maybe it’s the combination of that and the fact that the markets have changed a lot and the agents are realizing what used to work isn’t always, isn’t necessarily working now. They’re saying, ‘We’ve go to revamp some things and try to change some things’. So I just rarely get a, I just, I can’t remember the last time I got an angry call from an agent.

    Now, the truth is I rarely, rarely, rarely, ever talk directly to the agent. We direct, we send the direct mailing to the owner. Then if the owner wants to respond he will call us. On a very rare occasion, I will have the agent that calls us. That wants to, that’s polite, just wants to know ‘Hey my client got your information and wanted me to give you a ring and I just kind of want to find out what you do. And so I talk to the agent and explain what it is we do and our company and our program and how everything comes together and just leave it at that. That’s on a rare occasion.

    Normally my communication is only with the seller. I don’t mind talking to the agent but there’s really no need for me to. I don’t market the agents; I’m marketing to the seller. But again if the agent calls me I’ll certainly discuss with them about our company our program and what we do etc. But at the end of the day, what the agent really wants to know is, how do they get paid? How does the agent get paid?

    And now if the agent calls me then I will certainly let the agent know that we do pay a referral fee. We will typically pay, you know if it’s a transaction we bring from fruition to close. We’ll actually pay them ½ of one month’s payment. What they would expect on a straight lease anyway. And it’s not uncommon for the owner to also pay the agent ½ of one month’s payment depending what they work out on their end. And so it’s very feasible for the owner, I’m sorry; the agent to get a full month’s payment if we actually do a lease option, do a deal with the owner. Again that‘s if the agent calls me. If the owner calls me, you know, I don’t have any discussions with the agent which is normally, that is about 99.9% of the time, then I’m not going to pay the agent anything. That’s between the owner and the agent-whatever they work out. Which is normally some flat fee or 1/2 a month’s payment. Depends on again what they work out.

    My focus is on our relationship, our agreement with the owner. And making sure this is a good property for our program and again assisting them in any way possible. So to be honest with you we just rarely, rarely, ever talk to the agent. Just because they don’t call us so we never have any communication with the agent. . On a very rare occasion have we ever had a communication with them unless maybe of course they are calling just to find out a little more information. And I’ll discuss our program and certainly offer to pay them a referral fee for that. Which is really what they are wanting to know-how do they come into the whole transaction?

    On the buyer’s side, sometimes we do have agents that call on behalf of the buyers and say ‘Hey, we have a buyer who is looking for a lease purchase. And which I’m more than happy to help them with and again we’ll offer to pay them a referral fee if they are bringing me someone that’s good for our program.

    Unfortunately we’ve tightened up our guidelines so much that it’s more common than not the agent has a buyer wanting to do a lease purchase and the buyer is not qualified to even do a lease purchase but the agent doesn’t know that yet because the agent may not know the mortgage guidelines or have seen a credit report from the buyer. So if an agent has a, is bringing a client to us to get into a lease purchase, I really try to get the application from the people first, from their client first. I direct them to our website, let’s get the application let’s see where they stand.

    This happened the other day with somebody who was very adamant about getting into one of our properties. I pulled their application and there was no way I could help them in the next 4 years, 3 years probably and who knows how long this agent had been showing them houses. So but is an agent brings a buyer to us, I really try to get an application on file first to make sure it’s a good fit before anyone wastes time; is this a good fit for our program or not. And if it is hey, that’s great.

    But most people who have an agent aren’t looking for a lease purchase. At least that’s the way it is here in Texas-agents really just don’t mess with it. So I just don’t get irate phone calls anymore. I honestly can not remember the last time I got a rude call from an agent.

    They really are, have really opened up more to trying to get more creative and figure out how we can work together or in some cases work for me. So I just don’t get the rude calls. Again, if someone did call and they are irate, because their client got a brochure or a mailing from us I’m not going- you can tell from the tone of voice, I’m not going to try and explain what we do, I’m just going to apologize and explain that we do send out thousands of those every couple of months or so and so I apologize about that. Sometimes I’ve gotten them myself and I leave it at that. You don’t want to drag it on out with anyone who has a rude attitude. You just want to cut it short and be done with it. But anyway, so hopefully that helps a little with how we work with agents or how that comes into play with the sellers agent.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y

    Hey Marie (do you go by "Marie" or something else?),

    We're actually planning to do some pretty serious direct marketing starting next month, and this is one of the things my wife and I have recently began discussing (blanket campaigns to all addresses).

    We decided that we're going to start with those subdivisions where we know we'd like to buy, and blanket those first (probably about 15 subdivisions for about 1500 addresses). If we get a decent response in the first couple months, we'll expand to all addresses within a zip code, etc.

    Just something else you might want to consider -- blanket specific smaller areas first to see what kind of response you get, and then scale up to the full 10K addresses.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    ditto what @ J Scott said....I focus on specific areas, rather than just blanketing 5k listings. Years ago though...I would do 3k pieces of mail and I was swamped...but a number were $120k houses, which I really don't mess with any more.

  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
    14y

    Marie

    It will be interesting to see how it goes for you, My experience is marketing to everyone is wasted time and money because as you say your trying to hit those your target marketing is missing. The few that my target marketing misses don't add up to a hill of beans overall.

    An investor friend of mine did a geographical farm of 30k homes and finally decided it wasn't worth it. I suggested he get his license and use his name recognition as an agent for the area besides being an investor. He did and then the cost was worth it due to the extra income.

    John

    I'm a broker besides being an investor and with my listing agreement you would be tough out of luck with any of my listings and if you interfered you would find out what tortuous interference is. And being an investor is the reason I created the clause. Your peanut size one-half of a month offer to forgo my business would get you a laugh though.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    14y

    YEA!!! I love making people laugh!! I wonder if I included an autographed picture of me with the 1/2 month's payment...who wouldn't want that?

  • Real Estate Investor · OR · Member since 2012 · 390 posts · 133 votes
    14y

    Hey John Jackson,
    I am surprised there wasn't a thank you for the great info you shared here. So I'll be number one to say thanks so much. I've followed you on other forums and know you have super success.

    I appreciate you help offered to all----for free----here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.