Good or bad business name? Purple Pig Properties

Good or bad business name? Purple Pig Properties

Rental Property Investor · Venetia, PA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 47 votes

My LLC for Kentucky buy&hold is "purple pig properties, LLC".

Question is, use that for branding, or no? This would be letters and postcards.

I think it's unique and memorable. I have one opinion saying it's not serious enough. Thoughts?

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Sorry all but I will be the douche here...

Let me give you an actual marketer answer.

The fact that 100% of the people here "like it" is completely irrelevant. That is not going to make you money or get anywhere. What is more important is whether or not that name and logo will produce results.

If someone is about to lose their house and willing to sell it for below market value, the last thing they will have is a sense of humor. So the fact that it will make someone laugh will give the OPPOSITE effect. They will throw away the postcard if they feel like they make light of the situation. 

"Well glad it made you laugh but I am losing my damn house"

The fact that this is for letter and post cards is irrelevant. People WILL look for you online and if they can not find you, or worse, they find inconsistent info online they will easily pick the next post card in the mail. You NEED to use the same brand on your site and online. If you do not have a site, do not sent the mailers out, you WILL waste your time! So my answer is a more deeply rooted answer that goes off on basics, that you NEED to have your business online when you do any kind of marketing.

So here is an actual factual answer and not an "opinion". Well the opinion will come after my answer.


So Google will tell you that the name is great. Sure. Why? Because it is brandable. 

Now .. what makes a name brandable? GOod you asked.

A name that means nothing is brandable.

Nike, Levis, Apple, Carrot..

But monkey breath, apple means something. Yes my silly muffin, Apple is a fruit, and if that name was used in a apple processing plant, that name would not be brandable. But it is used for computers.. meaning, it has nothing to do with  what the business is about.. and thus it makes it brandable.

Google sees a brand as this" If someone explicitly wanted to look FOR YOU therefore typing it into Google you are considered a brand.

Now.. MY opinion..

I wouldn't use that name. It does nothing for you other than being different. And being different doesn't mean you are better. Am I saying it is a bad name? Absolutely not. Like most here I think it is wicked cool and awesome. I still wouldn't use it for my marketing campaign. COuld it work? Yeah it absolutely could. Again, I am not willing to take that risk sending out huge amount of mailers.

So my advice is.. send out 1500 mailers first. 750 this logo and 750 a more serious solid REI logo. See what performs better.

Consider this name

ABS Property solutions. BAD name

Alpha Omega Holdings BAD name

These names could represent anything really. A contracting company, painting company termite killing company...

Now consider this: PhilBuysHouses. GREAT name! why?

Anyone that needs to sell a house fast that desperately needs someone to buy it and they see a google search result looking like this:

Pink purple monkey with stinky breath

We are home buyers and can buy fast

va.

PhillBuysHouses

Hi I am Phill, and I have just bought my 123th house from a seller that needed to sell fast. If you need to sell call me 1-203-bubblebutt

Chances are Phill will get a lot more clicks!.. or open rate

I would remove the "rentals and rehabs".

If you are sending out letters you have a laser focused list. Then you only will confuse the receiver with that statement.

Just say.

We are home buyers in... just visit our website if you want to find out how we can ease you of the stress of owning a home.

Done.

More info is often bad.

Provide as little info as possible. Not more. (EVERYONE makes this mistake, even the pro DMM companies).

You want to make them JUSSSSST curious enough to check out your site. If you have too much info there you sound desperate and they wouldn't have no need to visit the site for more info on you!

The point for a successful DMM campaign is to direct people to your site PERIOD. NOT to convince them to sell their house to you!

Hope this helps man.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Hey @Chris Gordon! I think it can work if you play it right.

    I actually just bought a car from a car dealership, and the guy goes by the nick name "The Pickle Man", he gives a large jar a pickles away with every car purchase. 

    He said after he learned to play it right, it was a priceless branding play, as he was able to differentiate himself from all the other car salesman. Is it a competitive advantage thing? Obviously not, but customers remember him!

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    I love it. Rolls off the tongue, easy to remember. Where are you buying in Kentucky?

  • Rental Property Investor · Venetia, PA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Brad Noe recently relocated to Lexington from Pittsburgh...anywhere I can drive easily from Lexington, so Lville included...I'm exploring and learning the area.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon I think you should go with it. It definitely stands out, and being from KY, I think it would make people laugh and get you business.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon awesome man, welcome. Come check out a KREIA meeting in Louisville (Kentuckiana Real Estate Investors Assn.), great group there. Lots of opportunities in Louisville and southern Indiana for flipping and cash flow investing. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I like it.

  • Specialist · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2017 · 365 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon I like it. It stands out and is easy to remember. 

  • Specialist · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2017 · 365 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon I will say it is a very neighborhood friendly name. If you are ever looking to invest in commercial properties it might seem a little less professional. But if it fits your target audience and resonates with your area then I say go for it.  

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Gordon:

    My LLC for Kentucky buy&hold is "purple pig properties, LLC".

    Question is, use that for branding, or no? This would be letters and postcards.

    I think it's unique and memorable. I have one opinion saying it's not serious enough. Thoughts?

    I like it and think its cool and catchy.  

    With the way society is today, I could just imagine how some people will say its offensive.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Georgetown, KY · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    There is a meeting tomorrow night of the Lexington Landlord Association. Also, you should look up the Bluegrass Real Estate Investors Group on Facebook, it's the Lexington REIA.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Sorry all but I will be the douche here...

    Let me give you an actual marketer answer.

    The fact that 100% of the people here "like it" is completely irrelevant. That is not going to make you money or get anywhere. What is more important is whether or not that name and logo will produce results.

    If someone is about to lose their house and willing to sell it for below market value, the last thing they will have is a sense of humor. So the fact that it will make someone laugh will give the OPPOSITE effect. They will throw away the postcard if they feel like they make light of the situation. 

    "Well glad it made you laugh but I am losing my damn house"

    The fact that this is for letter and post cards is irrelevant. People WILL look for you online and if they can not find you, or worse, they find inconsistent info online they will easily pick the next post card in the mail. You NEED to use the same brand on your site and online. If you do not have a site, do not sent the mailers out, you WILL waste your time! So my answer is a more deeply rooted answer that goes off on basics, that you NEED to have your business online when you do any kind of marketing.

    So here is an actual factual answer and not an "opinion". Well the opinion will come after my answer.


    So Google will tell you that the name is great. Sure. Why? Because it is brandable. 

    Now .. what makes a name brandable? GOod you asked.

    A name that means nothing is brandable.

    Nike, Levis, Apple, Carrot..

    But monkey breath, apple means something. Yes my silly muffin, Apple is a fruit, and if that name was used in a apple processing plant, that name would not be brandable. But it is used for computers.. meaning, it has nothing to do with  what the business is about.. and thus it makes it brandable.

    Google sees a brand as this" If someone explicitly wanted to look FOR YOU therefore typing it into Google you are considered a brand.

    Now.. MY opinion..

    I wouldn't use that name. It does nothing for you other than being different. And being different doesn't mean you are better. Am I saying it is a bad name? Absolutely not. Like most here I think it is wicked cool and awesome. I still wouldn't use it for my marketing campaign. COuld it work? Yeah it absolutely could. Again, I am not willing to take that risk sending out huge amount of mailers.

    So my advice is.. send out 1500 mailers first. 750 this logo and 750 a more serious solid REI logo. See what performs better.

    Consider this name

    ABS Property solutions. BAD name

    Alpha Omega Holdings BAD name

    These names could represent anything really. A contracting company, painting company termite killing company...

    Now consider this: PhilBuysHouses. GREAT name! why?

    Anyone that needs to sell a house fast that desperately needs someone to buy it and they see a google search result looking like this:

    Pink purple monkey with stinky breath

    We are home buyers and can buy fast

    va.

    PhillBuysHouses

    Hi I am Phill, and I have just bought my 123th house from a seller that needed to sell fast. If you need to sell call me 1-203-bubblebutt

    Chances are Phill will get a lot more clicks!.. or open rate

    I would remove the "rentals and rehabs".

    If you are sending out letters you have a laser focused list. Then you only will confuse the receiver with that statement.

    Just say.

    We are home buyers in... just visit our website if you want to find out how we can ease you of the stress of owning a home.

    Done.

    More info is often bad.

    Provide as little info as possible. Not more. (EVERYONE makes this mistake, even the pro DMM companies).

    You want to make them JUSSSSST curious enough to check out your site. If you have too much info there you sound desperate and they wouldn't have no need to visit the site for more info on you!

    The point for a successful DMM campaign is to direct people to your site PERIOD. NOT to convince them to sell their house to you!

    Hope this helps man.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    I don't personally care for the name Purple Pig Properties. I think Purple Pig is memorable, but I don't like the term Pig used in a business, where you plan to rent or sell to people. A name like 'A Plus Properties' or 'Comfort Homes' has a much more positive vibe. People will get ribs at the Purple Pig, but they don't want to live in one. For the purposes of driving web traffic, using a URL that is a search term will be way more effective. KentuckyRentalHomes.com or WeBuyHousesKentucky.com is going to generate way more organic traffic than purplepigproperties.com. Organic traffic meaning people type "houses for rent in kentucky" or some other key phrase and your website comes up in the top page. Obviously the site content also drives organic traffic, but why not start with a solid name?

    But my main issue is that pigs are ugly and Purple Pig has nothing at all to do with investing unless you are a hog farmer. Just my opinion, you know what they say about opinions...

  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon Purple Pig Properties huh? lol Creative, fun, and probably memorable to people. However, I would side a lot with what @Jerryll Noorden, in his classic way of saying things, has stated. lol At the end of the day, what can you do with the name and can you build the brand you want around it. If you don't have the plan, then Purple Pig Properties may be irrelevant in its space. Can you make it work? Sure. Will it be harder than something more direct? Probably. The only way to know for sure is to test.

    I will disagree with @Joe Splitrock on the exact match URL for search terms though. Exact match domains getting extra SEO juice died out a while back. I wouldn't use the words that they are way more effective and today they really make little to no difference when it comes to your new website. Content and value is king when it comes to organic web traffic. However, when it comes to something a person may understand in a few seconds "buy houses" is easier to comprehend and there is probably an argument to be made in the name-value that way.

    I personally like a business name of something that is in the middle of direct and creative or has a good story or meaning behind it.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon definitely caught my attention there, so the first part is done, now you have to make sure that the work part is there also to make this run smooth and serious.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Chris Gordon,

    If you're doing wholesaling only, I'd say sure-- it's catchy and easy to remember, and the places you are getting are known to be in bad condition.  If I was selling what I thought was a POS for cheap, I'd be happy to work with you!

    For rentals-- I would say no--would you want to live in a house or sign a lease with Purple Pig Properties?  I immediately think it's a pig sty!     

    I like the idea, but  pick a different animal... who wants to live in a place called owned by a pig-- known for being messy, I mean-- what about Red Roach Rentals?   See how it kind of gives a gross image instantly? 

    IMO  Pick a better animal that's not immediately associated with dirt/mess.

  • Real Estate Broker · Melrose Park · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    I like it. And your little purple pig is cute

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.