Excessive Pet Paint Damage, Wear and Tear or Security Deposit?

Excessive Pet Paint Damage, Wear and Tear or Security Deposit?

Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I'm a single property landlord. Tenant recently moved out and the pets left a bunch of claw marks in the paint. The paint was last done in 2017. This tenant moved in 2019 and the walls were in good condition minus normal wear and tear when they moved in such as touched up nail holes. During the three years the dogs did a lot of damage to the walls. It seems to mostly hidable by repainting but is excessive how it and may still leave permanent scratch marks.

My goal is to be fair and follow best practices. Some people are saying it's excessive and should take the repainting of pet damage from the security deposit. Others saying that the paint is more than three years old and should be repainted anyways, scratch grooves may not be noticeable.

See pics, looking for advice from experienced landlords. Thanks.

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y
I would touch up and move on. I've seen *a lot* worse than that. It looks like you have orange peel or stucco walls, and no one is going to see that once it's touched up. If that's the only damage you've got in a house from 3+ years with a pet you have done very well. I've had houses with animals, both human and non-human, that had far worse in far less time. I just turned one of our properties that had significant wood floor damage and significant ceiling repainting requirement from kids drawing on the ceiling with permanent sharpie markers. Fun stuff!
Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    I would touch up and move on. I've seen *a lot* worse than that. It looks like you have orange peel or stucco walls, and no one is going to see that once it's touched up. If that's the only damage you've got in a house from 3+ years with a pet you have done very well. I've had houses with animals, both human and non-human, that had far worse in far less time. I just turned one of our properties that had significant wood floor damage and significant ceiling repainting requirement from kids drawing on the ceiling with permanent sharpie markers. Fun stuff!
    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    I would touch up and move on. I've seen *a lot* worse than that. It looks like you have orange peel or stucco walls, and no one is going to see that once it's touched up. If that's the only damage you've got in a house from 3+ years with a pet you have done very well. I've had houses with animals, both human and non-human, that had far worse in far less time. I just turned one of our properties that had significant wood floor damage and significant ceiling repainting requirement from kids drawing on the ceiling with permanent sharpie markers. Fun stuff!

    Yes - I cannot complain as it could've been far worse. Just getting feedback to do what's fair and appropriate. Thanks! 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    There's more to it than that.

    How long should paint last? Three years is ridiculously short. Do you know any home owners that repaint their entire house every three years? Five years? Good paint in a rental should last 7-10 years.

    Regardless of paint life, if the paint was in really good condition when they moved in, then it should be in really good condition when they move out, minus ordinary wear-and-tear. A dog scratching a door is abuse and should be charged. The damage to the corner of the wall is from someone/something rubbing against it as they rounded the corner and would probably be considered ordinary wear after three years. the damaged baseboard is excessive.

    It's an art more than a science. In this case, I would definitely charge for the door damage. The wall and baseboard are simple touch-up jobs that cost you less than 15 minutes of time and $10 in paint. If that were the only damage, I would probably let it slide. If there's more, I would probably add these charges in.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Houses do not need to be repainted every 3 years.  Do you have leftover paint from the last time?  If so, plaster and repaint the areas.  If not, are they isolated so that you can get a close match to the current colour and just paint a few walls?  I would charge them.

    Looking at the photos, a lot of that isn't necessarily paint coming off-get a Mr Clean magic eraser and try cleaning those areas.  I bought a house where the owner had a lot of dogs and one door was beyond disgusting.  About 20 minutes of washing it and it was like new. I thought we'd have to paint it, but it was all gunk from the dogs.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    The door is not normal wear and tear, baseboards and paint i would say is 

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Houses do not need to be repainted every 3 years.  Do you have leftover paint from the last time?  If so, plaster and repaint the areas.  If not, are they isolated so that you can get a close match to the current colour and just paint a few walls?  I would charge them.

    Looking at the photos, a lot of that isn't necessarily paint coming off-get a Mr Clean magic eraser and try cleaning those areas.  I bought a house where the owner had a lot of dogs and one door was beyond disgusting.  About 20 minutes of washing it and it was like new. I thought we'd have to paint it, but it was all gunk from the dogs.


    Thanks - I do have degreaser on order to help with the cleaning and odor. The issue is more the scratches, hard to see from the pictures but on the corners those spots are scratches into the wall. Thanks. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    3y

    Scratches could be easily addressed with a little spackle if that is all it takes.

    I handle this by writing terms into my animal addendum that animal damage is not included in "normal wear and tear" so that I can charge for all of these things. Consider doing that for your next tenant as it may help change your situation from an opinion on how bad it is to just showing it is animal damage.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Scratches that are 'in' the drywall and need to be spackled or re-textured should be charged for. Other touch-up or cleaning is just routine....IMO

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Scratches that are 'in' the drywall and need to be spackled or re-textured should be charged for. Other touch-up or cleaning is just routine....IMO


     Some cleaning is routine (ie deep cleaning that they won't have done), but from those photos they didn't leave the place clean.  There is no way that tenant wouldn't expect to have to pay for some of that.  And how do you let it get that dirty-ewww.

  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    Scratches should be documented and charged for. I’m sure they expect a charge when they have pets. Minor staining from wear and tear, I would just take care of as cost of doing business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.