Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Sandy Keller
Votes |
Flow Meters in Multi Family Units

Sandy Keller
Posted Nov 13 2022, 04:48

This past month we had to pay an extra $600 in water and sewer costs due to an undetected water leak.  (unfortunately it is set so landloard pays water and sewer utilities)  I really want to install flow meters so that the tenant pays water and sewage..... Perhaps that way they will take responsibility for water usage and noticing of leaking water or constantly flushing toilets.  However I have some practical questions.

1)  So let's assume the tennant at unit 101 shows the $600 usage and the other 3 tenants show normal usage.  Since each tenant with flow meters don't pay the water company directly, how would we collect the $600 form tenant 101.  Could they be evicted if they paid the rent but not the water bill.  Or will they claim the landlord has to pay the unusual bill even though they didn't report a constantly running toilet or other unusual leak, or perhaps they didn't even notice.

2) So with all those thoughts and possibilities in question 1, Is the flow meter installation on a 4 plex worth it? And how do you enforce it?  Normal water and sewer bills are about $200 total per month in the 4 plex.  Last month's was $800.  (Since then toilets have been worked on and had parts replaced and the water and sewer bills are back to normal)

3)  Also thinking of replacing window AC units and baseboard heaters with mini splits.  I am thinking if we do that first and then require tenants to pay their own water and sewage with a water flow meter.  Since they will be saving on electricity, and living more comfortably, they likely won't balk at having to pay for water and sewage and we won't end up with all our renters moving out of the 2BR 1BA units in the fourplex that are currently renting for $600.  Am I right? 

Loading replies...