How to negotiate big rent increase with tenants

How to negotiate big rent increase with tenants

new york, NY · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 11 votes

Hi all,

2 years ago I've become a landlord and am renting out my old apt (during the height of covid discounts in cities like NYC and Jersey City). Since then, most discounts are gone and rents seemed to have increase quite a lot. I sent my tenants a renewal lease to increase the rent by 16% which seems to be in line and still slightly under market but obviously were shocked. We've scheduled a phone call to talk about it. I do want to keep them as tenants as turnover is expensive and they're fairly good tenants. Can anyone give good negotiation tips? Aka, I would love to get the 16% increase, need at least 10%, but fear that I'll cave too quickly to 10%. Would love to hear some stories / experiences with similar cases! thanks a lot

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

This isn't going to go well for you on the course it is on.  What you 'need' for rent is one thing; what the market rent is - is quite another.  How does your 'needed rent' compare to that for a comparable property in your market?  If you want to keep your tenants, then price to the market.  It maybe that the rent would be even greater than the 16% you referenced.  Then you simply advised that effective whenever, the rent will go to $xxxx which is reflective of current rents in the market.  If they decide to move, they move - but you'll be priced right for acquring quality tenants.  

And, remember: you're running a business.  Customers don't set prices - the market does.  Don't negotiate rent - it is what it is and it is what you're entitled to for the goods/services provided.  If you don't position the rent increase in a confident and market driven manner, why should your tenants respond in kind.  Take the time to understand the market rent and demand and then price/communicate accordingly.  This is everyday stuff in the business world.  Best...

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    16% isn't a crazy amount. But if you have to do less, you can raise rent next year. And the year after.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I wouldn't send tenants a rent increase notice that I was willing to negotiate but since you already have, I think my position would be that the timing might be negotiable but not the ultimate amount. Perhaps you can do 8% now, 4% in six months, and then the remaining 4% one year from now. It will give the tenants time to look around and figure out if they have a good deal. I tell tenants in my rent increase letter what the market value for their unit is just so they know they still have a good deal. I raise to market at each turnover and then as rents increase I keep good tenants about 5% under market.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    I do not recommend incremental increases. It's more likely to cause confusion or animosity, and the tenant may eventually be unable to afford the unit.

    If they are excellent (always pay on time or early, communicate well, and inspections show they take excellent care of the rental) then I will raise rent 5% below market. That would be an 11% raise for you. If that's too much for them, terminate the lease and find a new renter that will pay what it's worth.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    If there is not competition at the current rents I would be honest and let them know if they move out they are not going to find anything cheaper. Make them feel like they're getting a good deal by staying in your unit. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    This isn't going to go well for you on the course it is on.  What you 'need' for rent is one thing; what the market rent is - is quite another.  How does your 'needed rent' compare to that for a comparable property in your market?  If you want to keep your tenants, then price to the market.  It maybe that the rent would be even greater than the 16% you referenced.  Then you simply advised that effective whenever, the rent will go to $xxxx which is reflective of current rents in the market.  If they decide to move, they move - but you'll be priced right for acquring quality tenants.  

    And, remember: you're running a business.  Customers don't set prices - the market does.  Don't negotiate rent - it is what it is and it is what you're entitled to for the goods/services provided.  If you don't position the rent increase in a confident and market driven manner, why should your tenants respond in kind.  Take the time to understand the market rent and demand and then price/communicate accordingly.  This is everyday stuff in the business world.  Best...

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I always charge slightly under market rent and never negotiate. I never feel the need to have any discussion about it. I always buy in very desirable areas and have no problem finding another tenant if necessary. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    While you want to increase it 16%, what is that in dollar amounts?  $100 a month, $200 a month?  How much will a vacancy cost you?

    If they are good tenants, I wouldn't have increased it 16% in one go. Do an increase this year and another next year. Having good tenants makes a big difference. You should have increases every year to keep up with market value and for the tenants to know that each year the rent will increase.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi all,

    2 years ago I've become a landlord and am renting out my old apt (during the height of covid discounts in cities like NYC and Jersey City). Since then, most discounts are gone and rents seemed to have increase quite a lot. I sent my tenants a renewal lease to increase the rent by 16% which seems to be in line and still slightly under market but obviously were shocked. We've scheduled a phone call to talk about it. I do want to keep them as tenants as turnover is expensive and they're fairly good tenants. Can anyone give good negotiation tips? Aka, I would love to get the 16% increase, need at least 10%, but fear that I'll cave too quickly to 10%. Would love to hear some stories / experiences with similar cases! thanks a lot


    Look up Dion's episode on BP. I think the title was the lazy landlord or something. Basically he gets the tenants to decide what they want to pay. It gives them power and they are more comfortable with the price.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 48 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

    I always charge slightly under market rent and never negotiate. I never feel the need to have any discussion about it. I always buy in very desirable areas and have no problem finding another tenant if necessary. 


    I do the same thing.  I usually rent my properties out at market value, and then raise rent to slightly less than market value (assuming rent goes up; I don't increase rent if the market hasn't changed).  It should be a good deal for them since it's cheaper than market value, and they don't have to deal with the stress of moving.  It's a good deal for me because I don't have to deal with the effort of turning over the unit or finding new tenants.

    I don't negotiate.  There are quality tenants out there that are willing to pay market value and also deserve a decent place to live.  The difference between what I charge tenants and market value would cover the cost of vacancy.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
    3y

    I would check in and confirm what your city rent increase limit would be. Some states would have to require sufficient notice like 6months over in Seattle, WA in order to increase the tenants rent. However, you can always incentives them to make your tenants why increasing their rent is justifiable, I usually would give them more access to a storage room or do a minor touchup paint for the unit just to bring in that new/fresh vibe. @Albert Bui @Carlos Valencia 

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jill F.:

     I think my position would be that the timing might be negotiable but not the ultimate amount. Perhaps you can do 8% now, 4% in six months, and then the remaining 4% one year from now. It will give the tenants time to look around and figure out if they have a good deal.

    I have to disagree. First, with your last 4 percent coming next year, you've limited next year's increase to 4 percent, which may or may not align with the market.

    Second, tenants can look around now and see if a 16% increased rent is a good deal or not. If it isn't, they will leave. If it is, they will stay.

    Now that the original poster has agreed to talk with his tenants he should come loaded for bear with comparable properties and even some that are similar but slightly above and below his property. At the meeting, he should present his comparables and show what the market is. He could even invite them to a second meeting where they bring their comparables and let him know where they stand.

    Third, he should make a note: Never offer to meet and discuss.

    What he must NOT do is get into an argument about his costs and how much this costs have or have not changed. The discussion is of market rates, not what he is/is not making. If the tenants moved to another apartment, they wouldn't know how much the new landlord is making, so what he is making is utterly irrelevant to the situation. The market is the market.
  • Jason LeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
    3y

    I always recommend landlords charge the current fair market rate rent, whether it's low or high. If the 16% increase brings the rent in line with market rate then that's what you should be getting. Being a good tenant doesn't mean they should get a discount, just like being a good landlord doesn't mean you can charge more. The tenant will look around and quickly realize the costs and hassle to find another rental don't make sense. It's funny, most of my landlord clients pretty easily agree to rent reductions but have a difficult time agreeing to big rent increases. If you're not good at this or don't have the stomach for it, then find an experienced realtor to lease your unit going forward and they will handle the renewals. I just got a tenant to agree to a 31% increase today. This is par for the course now that covid leases are ending.

    Lastly, if your turnover is in the winter then I would try to get the tenants to sign a new lease length that brings the turnover to the summer. You'll have more leverage and it will be a lot easier to negotiate renewals when the rental market is typically at it's peak.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Sandro Hagenbuch go for it. Rentometer is a good resource.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed

    We’ve found the best way to raise rent is:

    • Determine market rent
    • Share the proof with the tenant
    • Tell the tenant, given your rent is $x and market rent is $y, what do you think if a fair increase?
    • Often, they may volunteer a higher amount than you were hoping for.
    • Those that respond “$0” or something ridiculous, you can request income documentation from them to justify.
    • Don’t be afraid to share with them how much your property taxes & Insurance increased and that YOU cannot afford to absorb the.

    ALWAYS get an increase or something of value annually or tenants will start thinking they should never have an increase, making future increases that much more difficult to negotiate.

    Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.
    Also, if you like our response, please don’t be shy about giving us a vote😊

  • new york, NY · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Thank you all for the resourceful responses - it's greatly appreciated and helped me prep for the conversation! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.