Votes
Tim Clair
Pro Member
Votes |
Strategies for easing conflict btw neighbor tenants

Tim Clair
Pro Member
Posted Apr 7 2023, 11:53

Hey BP Community! I have a triplex and am having an issue with two sets of tenants not getting along and its escalating. Any advice is appreciated!

Here's the story and apologies for the dense post: The first floor tenants (younger couple) have been there a few years, are super nice and a little high strung but I've never had any issues with them (nor any issues between tenants in the 3 apartments in the 10+ years I've owned it).  They just had a baby so are maybe a little more tense than usual but nothing inappropriate.  The second floor tenant is a single guy who moved in six months ago.  His girlfriend starting spending more time there and about 2 months ago I did a new lease adding her to the lease for a bit more rent. They all got along and even hung out once over coffee. Of course right after that things started going bad. The first floor tenants asked them to not keep their bike in the backyard as its part of their unit. And then they asked them to keep the basement door locked even between loads of laundry for security. Both requests seem fine to me, but for some reason the second floor took offense. The woman on the second floor flipped out on them accusing them of being nosy and controlling. I chalked it up to that person having  bad day... but now over a month later, the second floor tenants have sent nasty texts about noise (its an old building and they have a baby - like accusing them of being drunk and high), the woman gave them the finger for no apparent reason and sometimes the second floor stomps and turns up music seemingly on purpose. There is nothing illegal but it is getting worse and I am not sure what to do. I don't want to lose my long time first floor tenants, but I can't evict the second floor for being rude and nasty. And if new people move into the new floor they could be louder than my current tenants.

So I am at a loss. I feel like sitting them all down and tell them to get over it and live in peace, but probably not my role.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks everyone and sorry for the long winded post.

Loading replies...