What are good interior paint colors for a short term rental ?

What are good interior paint colors for a short term rental ?

Brian KeyserPro Member
Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote

We have to repaint a new STR and am asking for good recommendations on paint color choices.

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 9 votes
3y

Whatever you choose make sure the painters apply 2 coats. If you don't apply 2 coats any touch-ups you do in the later years will be noticeable.

...and I have heard all the painter excuses and "thick coat" arguments. 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Anything neutral, like tans and creams...basic white ceilings. They used to used Navajo white (Actually a cream) for a reason. Stay away from grays, they are out of style by about a decade.....

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Anything neutral, like tans and creams...basic white ceilings. They used to used Navajo white (Actually a cream) for a reason. Stay away from grays, they are out of style by about a decade.....

    I agree. I stick with light cream colors. Blank canvas so decor and furniture will pop and not clash.

    gray is on the way out for sure 
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Sherwin Williams Extra White, Eggshell sheen, everywhere. Walls, ceiling, baseboards, casings. Everywhere. 

    It's an easy job for the painters when you do 1 color and 1 sheen, white looks super clean, and white doesn't wear as badly as you'd expect in a short term rental (I had this exact paint job in 3 short term rentals from 2017 - 2020).

    (Many people will side with @Bruce Woodruff here because he's right... those tans and creams do create a more cozy environment. But to me white is a more timeless look. It goes with any style. And it looks great in listing photos.)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Nothing wrong with white! Especially an off-white that is not so stark.......

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    Anything neutral and readily available although, I am a fan of color pops for accent walls. Good luck & happy investing!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas · Member since 2018 · 197 posts · 143 votes
    3y

    Amazing Gray!

    That's the name of it! Works great and easy to clean. 

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    3y

    Yup like most in here sticking with light cream colors is the way to go!

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    Light grays or neutrals. 

  • Investor · Tallahassee · Member since 2019 · 249 posts · 93 votes
    3y

    I do a white because it's easy but depends on your market and design. Look into wallpapers too if you are trying to stand out

  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, NJ · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 177 votes
    3y

    @Brian Keyser I use “Creamy” by Sherwin Williams with white trim. Need a few coats to cover but it’s a great light neutral color.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Unless the customer requested otherwise, we used to use Beige walls, Swiss coffee trim and flat 001 White ceilings. Except eggshell finish in bathrooms.

  • Architect · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Whatever you choose make sure the painters apply 2 coats. If you don't apply 2 coats any touch-ups you do in the later years will be noticeable.

    ...and I have heard all the painter excuses and "thick coat" arguments. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Allen Bounds:

    Whatever you choose make sure the painters apply 2 coats. If you don't apply 2 coats any touch-ups you do in the later years will be noticeable.

    ...and I have heard all the painter excuses and "thick coat" arguments. 


     Primer and 2 coats....

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I agree grey is being surpassed by white.

    But, there is grey, and there is grey.

    Not all greys are the same.

    I don't do AirBnB (own or stay) , but

    One of the decorators I worked with explained to me on a whole house basis they are trying to create a feel. A feel that make the (lead) (Desire to make the buy decision enough to buy), and make the place have something memorable about it--if they don't (buy) now, so they can come back to the right place.

    I would never do my personal house this way, but for a vacation place I think this looks (interesting and relaxing) and a little upscale (meaning it will cost a little more than plain vanilla).

    But as I said I don't do AirBnB...I'm a Hotel/Motel guy.

    Just some pics off the internet, to demonstrate what to me is (Feel) and memorableness using a tone of grey in a way that is not (IMO) a dated look.

    What do you AirBnB people think of this--too much risk due to to much uniqueness? What if it were in Paris or Milan Italy? What if it were in a water view high-rise unit in Chicago?

    What do you think it would rent for? Do you think it would be a dog in he market and just sit - or rent slower than others at the same price point?

    Or is it too grey and in the rear view mirror for an AirBnB?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I thought this would provoke some short term rental discussion about colors (???)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    I thought this would provoke some short term rental discussion about colors (???)

    I think everyone has already commented on their favorite colors. Seems like beiges tans and whites are the winners, and grays are now passé. :-)
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Brian Keyser Whatever you do it should co-ordinate with your flooring and trim especially if the trim is wood. Might use some online visualization tools.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

     Scott Mac's photos look a little over the top law firm to me. A bold choice that will delight some and turn others off.

    Whenever you design for broad appeal, don't do the max on any one design, do a restrained version of it. Boring way to live your life, but great advice for painting :)

    Or as a fabulous friend of mine once said "Darling, always take one thing off!"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.