How to expand my property management company.

How to expand my property management company.

Member since 2023 路 3 posts 路 3 votes

Any thoughts on how to expand my property management company in Chicago, IL? I currently manage nine properties for 5% of the gross rent. I am looking to build that to at least thirty multi unit buildings to manage.

2Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Alden Doolittle:

You manage nine properties and they rent for $95,000 a month? You have a full-time handyman? How many units are you managing?

I'll tell you this right now: you will never survive on a 5% management fee. Just do some research on discount PM companies. You'll see they either have add-on fees out the wazoo or they go belly up within five years.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Chicago & NWI 路 Member since 2015 路 860 posts 路 521 votes
    3y

    Hey @Alden Doolittle 馃憢馃徑

    This is the place to be! & for 5% gross rent, I would love to hear more! What areas do you operate around? 

  • Member since 2023 路 3 posts 路 3 votes
    3y

    Hey Eudith, 

    I manage properties in Logan Square, Wrigleyville and Ukrainian Village. I manage the crm ,Buildium, tenant relations, leasing, and basic property upkeep. There is a full time handyman who bills the properties directly for repair work.  Properties monthly gross is around 95K. My plan is to triple my management portfolio. Would love to hear more about your work in Chicago!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alden Doolittle:

    You manage nine properties and they rent for $95,000 a month? You have a full-time handyman? How many units are you managing?

    I'll tell you this right now: you will never survive on a 5% management fee. Just do some research on discount PM companies. You'll see they either have add-on fees out the wazoo or they go belly up within five years.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant 路 Cleveland 路 Member since 2020 路 6k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alden Doolittle:

    Any thoughts on how to expand my property management company in Chicago, IL? I currently manage nine properties for 5% of the gross rent. I am looking to build that to at least thirty multi unit buildings to manage.


     Yes advertise, and network not really sure what more to say. I went from zero to 500++ in 3 years, Will have 250 more this year, 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @Alden Doolittle - Sounds like you have a pretty good process in place as far as management goes.  I'd update your signature here on BP so everyone knows what you do and start posting daily looking for the keyword Chicago.

    Also, I'd suggest heading to as many in-person meetups as possible.

    Lastly, consider connecting with @Mark Ainley or @Jared Kott they have both scaled their property management businesses significantly.  

  • Member since 2021 路 41 posts 路 15 votes
    3y

    +1 for attending in person real estate meetings. Being a guest speaker would be a great way to extend your efforts. 

  • Member since 2023 路 3 posts 路 3 votes
    3y

    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager 路 Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Alden Doolittle we have a local Chicago meet up for third-party property managers that we meet monthly to discuss the best practices amongst the group.  I will DM you over the link so you can check it out.  

  • Specialist 路 WY 路 Member since 2023 路 16 posts 路 6 votes
    3y

    @Alden Doolittle
    1. Social Media Marketing
    2. GMB optimization
    3. SEO of your website
    4. Word of mouth is a special sauce in some cases. So make sure your circle knows what you are doing and planning on to scale fast.
    5. Answer Calls in a timely manner. As per research, only 2 out of 10 property management companies answer calls in a timely manner. I personally have worked with investors in choosing a property management company. And it sucks, they are bad as answering calls.
    6. As you build your portfolio, make sure you scale as a team. If you try to do all yourself, your growth rate would suck.
    Feel free to DM if you have any questions or want to hear more.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2023 路 21 posts 路 13 votes
    3y

    Hey Alden - I did this a few years ago in Chicago before moving to Austin...I've got a lot to say. Send me a message and lets hop on the phone this week. 

  • Member since 2023 路 6 posts 路 3 votes
    2y

    Hi, I have a question.  How do you procure a sponsored broker to sponsor your license for property management?

    Thank you in advance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.