House hacking in duplex. Wifi for entire building or just my unit?

House hacking in duplex. Wifi for entire building or just my unit?

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi just bought my first multi family and will be living in one unit. I was wondering what's the best option for wifi? Do most landlord provide wifi for their tenants? Or is that something that is left for the tenant to get? What are pros and cons of both. thanks in advanced

0Reply
28 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2017 · 129 posts · 107 votes
    3y

    Is the rental demand high? Or are owners having to compete at a high level to obtain tenants? 

    If you are worried about potentially not being able to rent it out right away, I would offer it as a "perk". If there is no concern in finding a tenant, I would have the tenant obtain their own WiFi. It is totally normal for that to be the case. 

    I have a furnished MTR that I rent out to a family, and they set up and pay for their own WiFi still. 

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    How are you renting out the other units? For long term rentals, typically the landlord is not supplying Wifi unless your competitors are doing it. For MTR and STR, you're going to be expected to provide it. Your rates should take that into consideration.

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I'm in the Seattle area and tenants provide their wifi even in my multi families.

    In house hacking, I'd only provide it with my own unit.

    If you do provide it as a perk, 

    - Be ready for the call that wifi/internet is down and to take care of it promptly

    - Set expectations with tenants on your response time to fix it

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 383 posts · 382 votes
    3y

    We are thinking about providing this in one of our 4 unit duplex. We would offer it to each tenant as 1gig internet for $50 more a month on rent. The service would only cost us $100 so we'd make a $100 profit.

    The setup cost would be about $2,000 because we would use Netgear Orbi Mesh system. You get an app to control everything, so any internet issue you just go to the app to resolve.

    Since you're just starting out, you can bake the cost of this into the rent and offer it as a perk. They'll love it. Good Luck.

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    3y

    It is common in my market for tenants to provide that, not landlords. Good luck & happy investing!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73304 Reviews
  • Brady GrahamPro Member
    Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Cassandra,

    I would mirror others that if renting the other unit long term, let that tenant have their own utility for cable/internet. In the event that the utility isn't properly separated, I'd say adjust your monthly rent by an appropriate amount within market rates to cover the expense. If for STR or MTR, then definitely should be an amenity you'd want to include.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.