Property Management in Akron

Property Management in Akron

Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes

I recently purchased a property through RTR and while I am happy with them, I am having a lot of issues with KS Yoak PM Company. Not only are they horrible at communication, a stove was stolen from the property when the tenants who weren't paying rent moved out. I was the one to catch it not them during the walk through. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different and better PM company in the area?

4Reply
405 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
2y

8/14 update: Steven Yoak is not a part of this initial post: he has been instrumental and amazing since I’ve started working with him. He does excellent rehabs and stays in constant communication and explains everything in full. He has compassion and heart and ensures that his clients are well taken care of and that the rehabs are pristine. He is honest and never led me astray in both rentals I’ve bought from him. He goes above and beyond in his communication and time that he gives his clients. If he did all the rehabs in Ohio and his own property management, I would buy all my rentals from him.  

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

    I recently purchased a property through RTR and while I am happy with them, I am having a lot of issues with KS Yoak PM Company. Not only are they horrible at communication, a stove was stolen from the property when the tenants who weren't paying rent moved out. I was the one to catch it not them during the walk through. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different and better PM company in the area?


     I've never heard of KS York so I've got no dog in that fight. They may be great, or they may suck as badly as you say. However, I would like to point out that it's not your property manager's fault the tenant stole the stove on the way out. If you're going to make it in this business you're going to have to wrap your head around the fact that things like that are going to happen and you've got nobody to blame other than the criminals themselves.

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you that these things can be expected and are going to happen. It's the nature of investing in real estate. I think I am more frustrated with the lack of communication from their end. On a different note, do you have any property management companies in the area that you have worked with and/or recommend?

  • Wyatt WolffPro Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 467 posts · 279 votes
    2y

    @Lorien Wolff might know 

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 96 posts · 74 votes
    2y

     @Amanda Gauthier please check your inbox.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 4 votes
    2y
    I am just starting with KSY and it's not going amazingly.  I'm too old to remember to check for reviews before I leap, but at least I haven't yet lost a stove (on this one)... ;-)  While I wait for delayed communication from them, I am looking for alternate management in the Canton area.  Did you find a reputable management company that you would recommend?  Thanks!
  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 96 posts · 74 votes
    2y

    @JD White please check your inbox. Thanks.

  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

    I recently purchased a property through RTR and while I am happy with them, I am having a lot of issues with KS Yoak PM Company. Not only are they horrible at communication, a stove was stolen from the property when the tenants who weren't paying rent moved out. I was the one to catch it not them during the walk through. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different and better PM company in the area?

    Theft is going to happen in this business, at least here and there.  No PM can stop something like what happened to you.  
    I've personally known Steve Yoak for a number of years and both he & Kip have reputations as stand-up guys.  That said, they've gone through some huge growth over the last couple years and maybe they're having some growing pains?  Try to work through it with your PM or maybe request a different one?  Pickings are slim around here for good ones, and what makes a good PM for one LL isn't the same criteria as for another.  Just make sure the grass doesn't just look greener before jumping.  
    If you need any local boots on the ground, let me know and I can assist, I'm in Akron daily.   
  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    2y
    Quote from @JD White:
    I am just starting with KSY and it's not going amazingly.  I'm too old to remember to check for reviews before I leap, but at least I haven't yet lost a stove (on this one)... ;-)  While I wait for delayed communication from them, I am looking for alternate management in the Canton area.  Did you find a reputable management company that you would recommend?  Thanks!
    Ha, 'amazingly'.  Yeah, when you find that unicorn please let the rest of us know as I've been looking for many years.  A 'good PM' fits the definition of an oxymoron, at least in this area. 
    I'm in Canton all the time, let me know if you need any boots on the ground assistance.  
  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    Hi Amanda, they are terrible. I’ve been working with them for 2.5 years. Kipp Yoak, the owner, doesn’t care about the owners. They have so many properties that rent to retirement gives them, that they could care less. 
    They are unable to give you a balance or ledger report when there are repairs on properties. They ask you to use buildium to look at everything, but buildium doesn’t give you an easy to follow way to see subtractions from repairs or marketing fees that they charge. Ks Yoak picked 2 terrible tenants on one of my properties that ended up costing me over 15k in repairs over the past 2 years: they didn’t care: they said they would help me with the repairs, but they won’t send you a break down of the repairs: they send you a paragraph with a total cost for repairs at the bottom. Beau is unprofessional and rude, Kaye gives people the brush off and Kipp doesn’t respond to owners. I’m selling both of my properties because I literally cannot handle the stress from how horrible KS Yoak is.

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    Just to clarify my previous post, I would like to say that while I've experienced challenges with mngt, RTR/Rent to Retirement has been extremely helpful in navigating this situation so I know what my options are and so I don't feel alone in this process. They have stepped in to cover repairs for me, pressured mngt to do the same, introduced me to other PM teams that would perform better, shared multiple resources with me to assist with the sale of the properties and have spent ample time helping me strategize overall about what to do with these properties. I just wanted to clarify that my frustrations are with the PM mngt team, not with RTR. I plan to continue to work with them as they have been very instrumental in helping me map out my investment goals and strategy.

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    8/14 update: Steven Yoak is not a part of this initial post: he has been instrumental and amazing since I’ve started working with him. He does excellent rehabs and stays in constant communication and explains everything in full. He has compassion and heart and ensures that his clients are well taken care of and that the rehabs are pristine. He is honest and never led me astray in both rentals I’ve bought from him. He goes above and beyond in his communication and time that he gives his clients. If he did all the rehabs in Ohio and his own property management, I would buy all my rentals from him.  

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    8:14/24 I did get a call today from KS Yoaks property management team, Kaye and Amber after my post on Bigger pockets.

    They went over my rental ledger with me and went through buildium with me, which I appreciated as they tried to rectify my issues.

    Beau also sent me the detailed invoice that I have been asking for for several months. 
    In the past, Kipp has been very helpful and responsive and has given me help on repair costs from the past 2 tenants I have had that have been no good. I am not able to edit or delete posts on BP , so I will edit this to the fact that I do think that Kipp has helped Me in the past several times. Maybe I have had too many issues with this property and I have become an irritation? I think that he has tried his best to help as much as he could. Regardless, I’m moving forward with a new PM team.

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    2y

    I have a friend that is pleased with his PM in the area. They handle his 150ish doors, and he has high standards. I will PM anyone on this thread that was looking.

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y

    @Amanda Gauthier we work with a lot of real estate investors who provide us with intel on who the great property managers are - would be happy to share this unbiased feedback to help you avoid this situation.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Her complaint is that the PM did not notice the stove missing during the inspection; the owner was the one that noticed it missing. That's not OK.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @JD White:

    I did some reached and now work with Pikus Real Estate and Property Management. They have helped me find another investment property in the area and do the PM themselves. They are very professional, reliable and informative. I highly recommend them. 

    I am just starting with KSY and it's not going amazingly.  I'm too old to remember to check for reviews before I leap, but at least I haven't yet lost a stove (on this one)... ;-)  While I wait for delayed communication from them, I am looking for alternate management in the Canton area.  Did you find a reputable management company that you would recommend?  Thanks!

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Who do you use for PM for your properties?

    Quote from @Jack Smith:
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

    I recently purchased a property through RTR and while I am happy with them, I am having a lot of issues with KS Yoak PM Company. Not only are they horrible at communication, a stove was stolen from the property when the tenants who weren't paying rent moved out. I was the one to catch it not them during the walk through. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different and better PM company in the area?

    Theft is going to happen in this business, at least here and there.  No PM can stop something like what happened to you.  
    I've personally known Steve Yoak for a number of years and both he & Kip have reputations as stand-up guys.  That said, they've gone through some huge growth over the last couple years and maybe they're having some growing pains?  Try to work through it with your PM or maybe request a different one?  Pickings are slim around here for good ones, and what makes a good PM for one LL isn't the same criteria as for another.  Just make sure the grass doesn't just look greener before jumping.  
    If you need any local boots on the ground, let me know and I can assist, I'm in Akron daily.   

  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:
    Who do you use for PM for your properties?

    Quote from @Jack Smith:
    Theft is going to happen in this business, at least here and there.  No PM can stop something like what happened to you.  
    I've personally known Steve Yoak for a number of years and both he & Kip have reputations as stand-up guys.  That said, they've gone through some huge growth over the last couple years and maybe they're having some growing pains?  Try to work through it with your PM or maybe request a different one?  Pickings are slim around here for good ones, and what makes a good PM for one LL isn't the same criteria as for another.  Just make sure the grass doesn't just look greener before jumping.  
    If you need any local boots on the ground, let me know and I can assist, I'm in Akron daily.   

    Hi Amanda, I self manage my properties in Akron, Canton, & Massillon.  I also help out of town LLs with consulting services to stay on top of their properties here.  I grew up learning maintenance on properties my parents and grandparents had in Akron, then started buying my own after college.  35 years later, been full time for the last five years or so.  I tried a few different PMs when I was employed but was never happy with any of them; knew I couldn't do any worse... But this business is not for the faint of heart!   

  • Real Estate Agent · Akron · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    CRPM is the best in akron.  Katie Middendorf and her team manage 750 plus doors.  I have an occupied rental i am trying to off to fund a renovation if anyone is interested-1072 bellows!

    @Amanda Gauthier reach out to katie and tell her i sent you!

    • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joe Vassel:

      CRPM is the best in akron.  Katie Middendorf and her team manage 750 plus doors.  I have an occupied rental i am trying to off to fund a renovation if anyone is interested-1072 bellows!

      @Amanda Gauthier reach out to katie and tell her i sent you!

      Thank you so much! I will do that.
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ryan Arth:

    I have a friend that is pleased with his PM in the area. They handle his 150ish doors, and he has high standards. I will PM anyone on this thread that was looking.


     Hey Ryan, could you send the PM's info over my way? 

  • Member since 2024 · 27 posts · 35 votes
    1y

    I have written on this previously, KS Yoak is horrible. Even though RTR helped me navigate and tried to solve my problems, KS Yoak did not give 2 ***** about it. The gave me such bad tenants that I am still having issues even after leaving their services for almost a year. 

    please stay away from them

    • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 11 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Vivan Bhalla:

      I have written on this previously, KS Yoak is horrible. Even though RTR helped me navigate and tried to solve my problems, KS Yoak did not give 2 ***** about it. The gave me such bad tenants that I am still having issues even after leaving their services for almost a year. 

      please stay away from them

      I had the same issues with them. I am so glad that I got a new PM team. 
    • Member since 2024 · 27 posts · 35 votes
      1y

      @Tiffany Chohfi who is your new PM?

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Amanda Gauthier

    Did you manage to find a good PM? I am currently with HPM & they are pretty ordinary as well. One of my rentals has been vacant for more than 6 months after the previous tenant moved out. I am looking to switch as well.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Tiffany Chohfi:

    8/14 update: Steven Yoak is not a part of this initial post: he has been instrumental and amazing since I’ve started working with him. He does excellent rehabs and stays in constant communication and explains everything in full. He has compassion and heart and ensures that his clients are well taken care of and that the rehabs are pristine. He is honest and never led me astray in both rentals I’ve bought from him. He goes above and beyond in his communication and time that he gives his clients. If he did all the rehabs in Ohio and his own property management, I would buy all my rentals from him.  

    I'm also going through lack of communication with Yoak Properties. I understand they grew quickly from R2R but nobody seems to care about the investor, the property or the tenant. Hopefully, my last issue with them is trying to get them to release my last 2 properties to my new PM. It's been 2.5 years with them so my contract is done. My 30 days notice to them they have failed to respond after 2 attempts. They respond to owners draw but when it comes to other items, they will ghost you. I have called and they said they will do it right after the call and once I hang up the office manager. I get crickets.  My experience with Steve Yoak has been great. The PM side has been below par. I believe they got too big with little staff and also have their construction side of the business, and they simply don't care. I would not recommended Yoak as a PM. I have 2 other PM in other states and this one is at the bottom of my list. There are better ones out there. Hope others out there will find out before they do the same mistake we all did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.