PM recommendations for Out of State Investors

PM recommendations for Out of State Investors

Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP!

my wife and I are looking into Detroit, and Memphis to BRRRR. We are SoCal residents who will be managing out of state.

As much as I enjoy saving money where we can, I see the appeal for hiring a local PM. Does anyone have any recommendations for either of these 2 cities? We are checking in other avenues for the same question, we just wanted to reach out here as well. Thank you!

4Reply
167 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10mo

WHat can we help you with?

Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    WHat can we help you with?

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10mo

    Hello Cory, I strongly recommend Foundation Property Management in Memphis! They are exceptional! I personally know they're business development manager, Jenni, that can answer all your questions and explain in detail how they operate. 

    • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Brian Martin:

      Hello Cory, I strongly recommend Foundation Property Management in Memphis! They are exceptional! I personally know they're business development manager, Jenni, that can answer all your questions and explain in detail how they operate. 


       I appreciate it! i will check both out!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10mo

    Also, I personally know the business development manager for Real Property Management Metro Detroit as well. His name is Ben Smith. Great guy and company as well. He really knows that market. 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2024 · 30 posts · 30 votes
    10mo

    We use Foundation Property Management in Memphis. We had a couple of bumps initially, but have been very happy since then. They recently managed a $39k rehab of a new property for us and finished it on time, as budgeted, and the property appraised for about $15k higher than we were shooting for.

    • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Cory M.:

      We use Foundation Property Management in Memphis. We had a couple of bumps initially, but have been very happy since then. They recently managed a $39k rehab of a new property for us and finished it on time, as budgeted, and the property appraised for about $15k higher than we were shooting for.


       I will check them out thank you!

  • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Cory Berrang:

    Hello BP!

    my wife and I are looking into Detroit, and Memphis to BRRRR. We are SoCal residents who will be managing out of state.

    As much as I enjoy saving money where we can, I see the appeal for hiring a local PM. Does anyone have any recommendations for either of these 2 cities? We are checking in other avenues for the same question, we just wanted to reach out here as well. Thank you!

    Interesting, SoCal to Detroit  2,337 miles instead of SoCal to Phoenix 335 miles - 2,000 miles closer
    I'm just curious "Why"?

    SoCal to Detroit

    SoCal to Phoenix





     We are looking at different markets, i just wanted to have a post focusing on these 2 markets. I would LOVE to just invest in SoCal but alas cali is..well cali

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    10mo

    @Brian Martin wouldn't it be professional to disclose that:

    You own an RPM franchise in Texas and you, "personally know":
    - Jenni and
    - Ben Smith 

    because they are also with RPM franchises?

    What effect might this have on your endorsements?

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10mo
    Jenni isn’t RPM. However, Ben is. But thank you for mentioning that. I definitely want to be professional and just want to help. As always, everyone needs to do their own research on any companies. They may not be a fit for everyone. Just trying to help. Thank you for your response.
  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    10mo

    Hi Cory

    We've used Mid South Home Rentals, Arlington,Tn.  for 14 years with great results and  can highly recommend.   Have bought over 25 doors through their real estate division, sight unseen with confidence.  901-451-5201

    Best,

    Mike 

    • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Mike Mosee:

      Hi Cory

      We've used Mid South Home Rentals, Arlington,Tn.  for 14 years with great results and  can highly recommend.   Have bought over 25 doors through their real estate division, sight unseen with confidence.  901-451-5201

      Best,

      Mike 


       Thank you! I will check them out.

    • Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 14 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Mike Mosee:

      Hi Cory

      We've used Mid South Home Rentals, Arlington,Tn.  for 14 years with great results and  can highly recommend.   Have bought over 25 doors through their real estate division, sight unseen with confidence.  901-451-5201

      Best,

      Mike 

      Mike is Mid-south home rentals the PM division of midsouth home buyers? Are they affiliated or different?  I purchased my first property from midsouth homebuyers and they have been very good.  Curios if this is the same company.  Thanks 
  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10mo

    @Cory Berrang
    If you plan on investing out of state in those markets, get a PM. Don't try to self manage unless it's in an A location 

    • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 11 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Patrick Drury:

      @Cory Berrang
      If you plan on investing out of state in those markets, get a PM. Don't try to self manage unless it's in an A location 


       Oh most certainly, especially since we are starting out. Thanks for the input!

  • Jordan RayBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 642 posts · 333 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Cory Berrang:

    Hello BP!

    my wife and I are looking into Detroit, and Memphis to BRRRR. We are SoCal residents who will be managing out of state.

    As much as I enjoy saving money where we can, I see the appeal for hiring a local PM. Does anyone have any recommendations for either of these 2 cities? We are checking in other avenues for the same question, we just wanted to reach out here as well. Thank you!


    Both Detroit and Memphis are strong BRRRR markets when you have reliable local support, and since you'll be managing from SoCal, having a solid property manager can make a huge difference during renovations, lease-up, and tenant transitions. For Memphis specifically, I highly recommend Rivertown Realty—I work closely with them for virtually all of my out-of-state investors unless they already have management in place, and they consistently do a great job keeping my clients’ properties rented and cash-flowing so they can come back and buy more. They’re investor-friendly, experienced with value-add strategies, and very familiar with the neighborhoods where BRRRR deals make the most sense, making remote ownership much smoother. Let me know if you need help investing in Memphis as I would love to connect! Talk soon!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 15 votes
    10mo

    Hi Cory,

    Detroit and Memphis are the same two markets I have been looking to invest in also!

    For memphis I have been working with Allie at Crestcore realty for sourcing deals and I know Crestcore also has a PM division. For learning the Memphis market and about Crestcore, Dean Harris does a great podcast with literally hundreds of hours of research and market analysis you can listen to. For me as a new investor it has been a great resource, it has answered many questions that I didn't even know I should be asking.

    Good luck in your search!

    Thanks,

    Don

  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    10mo

    HI Cory

    Not the same company.  The one I'm talking about is a divison of Enterprise Realtors in Arlington,Tn.    

    Available to talk if further information is desired.

    Best,

    Mike

  • Dean HarrisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    I have a really strong PM referral in Memphis, TN and I personally use them! Alwasy happy to share. Please PM me

    CrestCore Realty4.713 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.