Tenant Requests Fiancé and Child Move In

Tenant Requests Fiancé and Child Move In

Forrest HoldenPro Member
Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 22 votes

My tenant just told me that he wants his fiance and their one year old child to move in with him in a few weeks. This is a grade C property. I'm not about to keep a family apart but I just want to know what all I should consider before granting this request. I don't think I want to put her on the lease right away in case it doesn't last long but I'd love some advice here on how best to approach this. Thanks!

0Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
10mo

@Forrest Holden

I'd hire a PM and let them handle these types of requests in accordance with SOPs

and

no one living in a property should not be on the lease

hope this helps

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10mo

    @Forrest Holden

    I'd hire a PM and let them handle these types of requests in accordance with SOPs

    and

    no one living in a property should not be on the lease

    hope this helps

  • Property Manager · Waterville ME · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 39 votes
    10mo

    @Forrest Holden

    It’s great that your tenant communicated this ahead of time — that’s already a good sign. When someone wants to add an adult occupant, here are few things I’d consider as a property manager:

    1. Screening Is Non-Negotiable

    Even if she’s not going on the lease right away, any adult living in the unit should be screened (credit, background, income verification, etc.). This protects you and ensures you’re not unknowingly allowing someone with a problematic history into the property.

    At minimum, have her fill out an application and be approved as an authorized occupant.

    2. Update Your Lease / Add an Addendum

    Instead of adding her as a leaseholder, you can add her as an authorized occupant through a simple addendum.

    This way, the primary tenant remains responsible for the rent and lease terms. You stay compliant with your “all occupants must be disclosed” policy. You avoid the complication of trying to remove her later if things don’t work out. 

    • Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 31 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Srinivasa Subramanian:

      @Forrest Holden

      It’s great that your tenant communicated this ahead of time — that’s already a good sign. When someone wants to add an adult occupant, here are few things I’d consider as a property manager:

      1. Screening Is Non-Negotiable

      Even if she’s not going on the lease right away, any adult living in the unit should be screened (credit, background, income verification, etc.). This protects you and ensures you’re not unknowingly allowing someone with a problematic history into the property.

      At minimum, have her fill out an application and be approved as an authorized occupant.

      2. Update Your Lease / Add an Addendum

      Instead of adding her as a leaseholder, you can add her as an authorized occupant through a simple addendum.

      This way, the primary tenant remains responsible for the rent and lease terms. You stay compliant with your “all occupants must be disclosed” policy. You avoid the complication of trying to remove her later if things don’t work out. 


       I like this idea, if you ever had to go to court, this will make it known that she is responsible too. Also, keeps ppl with dubious history from applying. IF a tenant knows you will run a background they will be more selective about who is staying there.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    10mo

    At least he asked! Do a background check, and raise the rent a little to cover the extra wear-and-tear.

    What does your lease say about this? If you don't already address this, you may want to add a clause about it, so it's clear in the future.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    @Forrest Holden pretty much agree with @Srinivasa Subramanian

    Not sure why you don't want to add her to the lease though.

    What are the potential negatives of adding her?
    - Yes, they can break up and she moves out - how does that negatively affect you?

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Why wouldn't you put her on the lease right away? Once you put her on the lease then they are both responsible for everything and it reduces your risk. Plus, you have a second income in case he loses his job. Also, in most areas if someone stays in the property for more than 27 days they are now a tenant and you will have to evict them to get them out. I don't see the benefit to not putting them on the lease.

    The first step is to run a full application, the same as you would with any other tenant. As long as they are approved, move them in.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10mo

    @Forrest Holden  screening and authorized occupant.   If she isn't working no advantage to having her on the lease. If she is an authorized occupant you have a principal leaseholder which is him. If she is working putting her on the lease gives you more finances to go after if things go wrong.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10mo

    I agree with those who said screen her and then decide if you want to add her to the lease or add a clause that if he moves, so does she.

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Forrest Holden:

    My tenant just told me that he wants his fiance and their one year old child to move in with him in a few weeks. This is a grade C property. I'm not about to keep a family apart but I just want to know what all I should consider before granting this request. I don't think I want to put her on the lease right away in case it doesn't last long but I'd love some advice here on how best to approach this. Thanks!


     There's a material fact missing here, and I'm surprised no one has picked up on it: How long has "tenant" been a tenant? If the guy's solid and has been in for several years, I'm a lot more comfortable than I am with someone who started this year -- then it starts looking like a shell game.

    Every adult must be on the lease, and each must pass your screening tests, and each must be responsible for the entire rent. Don't compromise on this. Also, if she's not employed, she still has to pass screening, including income. She can get a job. 

  • Forrest HoldenPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    10mo
    I’ve usually hired management in the past but I am in a more rural area now and most management companies don’t want to take on new clients here.
  • Property Manager · OK · Member since 2024 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    10mo

    I totally agree with @Srinivasa Subramanian and @Adam Bartomeo. Since PMs aren’t an option for you in your rural area, you need to screen his fiancee thoroughly and use an ‘Authorized Occupant’ addendum, like everyone mentioned. Personally, I advise you to raise rent slightly ($25-$50/month) to cover extra wear and tear, and also review your landlord's insurance: more occupants means greater liability. Check with your insurance agent to confirm your coverage expands too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.