Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 325 votes
6mo
It’s usually not one thing — it’s the handoffs between all three.
Vendor coordination, tenant communication, and the system itself only become problems when there’s no clear structure connecting them. Most slowdowns happen in the gaps: delayed approvals, incomplete info from tenants, or vendors not getting clear scope upfront.
In our experience, the biggest drag is less about volume and more about back-and-forth. When intake, approval, and updates aren’t standardized, even simple tickets take longer than they should.
Once those steps are clearly defined, everything tends to move a lot smoother — even at higher volume.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6mo
As a PM, routine maintenance was not much of an issue for me. I never provided my cell number to Tenants...all comms were via my office phone/voicemail with outcall for after hours messages; email; or walk in.
As a competent PM, I was quite familiar with every property, and every unit. I would either know exactly which vendor I needed to send out, or I would directly respond to the Tenant to ask for additional info and/or troubleshoot the issue with them to resolution. If I needed to send a vendor, I provided them with the Tenant Name, Address, and phone number. Vendor would call them directly (within the same or next business day) to schedule. Upon arrival, anything unusual or if Tenant requested additional work than what had been authorized, the vendor would send me a pic and call me direct on my cell for discussion or approval. Invoice upon completion was sent to our office, and paid NET 10 in most cases. Vendors were instructed, case by case, to indicate Tenant responsibility due to damage, or identifying source and location of drain blockage.
Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
6mo
On the commercial side the answer is almost always vendor coordination, but for a different reason than residential. The issue isn't finding vendors — it's that commercial work orders often require tenant coordination around business hours, and vendors who do fine work on residential just don't understand that a retail tenant can't have you pulling electrical on a Tuesday at noon. I've had HVAC calls that turned into week-long back-and-forths because the vendor wanted morning access and the tenant's lease had a business hours protection clause I had to honor. The way I handle it now: any vendor I use regularly knows upfront that after-hours and weekend calls are billable at a premium but often necessary, and I pass that cost through to whoever's responsible under the lease. For NNN tenants that's usually them — which also tends to sharpen their scheduling flexibility real fast. The AppFolio/Buildium ticket tracking piece is genuinely painful for commercial because neither tool handles lease-specific maintenance responsibilities well. You end up doing a lot of manual work to track what gets billed back to tenant vs. absorbed by the owner.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 325 votes
6mo
Most of the time it’s not just one of those — it comes down to systems and transparency across the whole process.
The issues you listed (vendor coordination, tenant communication, ticket tracking) usually start to break down when there isn’t a consistent process behind the scenes. That’s when everything feels reactive instead of controlled.
What slows things down the most tends to be the handoffs — tenant → manager → vendor — where details get missed or expectations aren’t clearly set upfront.
When maintenance runs well, a few things are usually consistent:
• Clear communication rhythm with tenants
• Defined scope before vendors are dispatched
• Visibility into status and next steps
• Accountability at each stage
The software helps organize everything, but it doesn’t replace having a tight process behind it.
Hiring maintenance techs that are knowledgeable, trustworthy, and show up for work.
If you are hiring for in-house maintenance staffing, that can work. If you use outside Contractors, they often have turnover in the "helper" department. I've had several occasions where the Lead man was great, but a helper was stealing from Tenants when he wasn't watching. By the third complaint we figured out who it was, and informed the Contractor.
The vendor communication piece is what killed me. Texts to plumbers getting lost, no record of what was promised. I started using an AI-based system (Leasify/Realty Watchers) that logs everything from the initial tenant call through vendor dispatch. Not the only option — AppFolio and TurboTenant+Lula do versions of this too — but the AI call handling was the game-changer for me.
The vendor coordination piece killed me too. I was juggling texts, emails, and calls across 3 different handymen. A few things that helped: (1) forcing all requests through a portal instead of texts, (2) using a shared board for work order status so tenants stop asking 'any update?' I've been testing a tool called Leasify that handles the AI triage + vendor routing piece — still early but it's cut my back-and-forth in half. RentRedi and Innago are solid too if you want something more established.
Drew's framing is exactly right — never cheap enough for owners or fast enough for tenants. That's the permanent tension.
From the self-managing side, the bottleneck I kept hitting wasn't vendor coordination or ticket software — it was the gap between when a tenant reported something and when I actually had enough information to dispatch anyone. Half my maintenance texts were missing the basic details I needed to know who to call.
By the time I'd gone back and forth to figure out what was actually broken, where exactly, and how bad — I'd already burned 20 minutes and the tenant was frustrated. The vendor dispatch was the easy part.
Tightening that intake loop — structured questions, photo requirement, urgency flag — cut my response time more than any software change did. Once you know exactly what you're dealing with on the first message, everything downstream moves faster.
The ticket tracking problem in AppFolio and Buildium is real but secondary. The data going in is the problem. Garbage in, slow resolution out.
Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
2mo
@John Ledesma point is the one that actually matters most, in my experience. The trick is getting that structure without making tenants use a new interface, since most won't. A few guided follow-up questions in the same text thread, what's leaking, where, how bad, does almost as well as a full intake form, and tenants actually answer it because it doesn't feel like extra work.
Did you build that as fixed questions every time, or does it change depending on what the tenant says first?
The worst part is scheduling with some tenants and working on their schedule to get it fixed. Some takes forever to reply or no reply at all. I would leave text messages or emails in case for any future complaints of not addressing the issues.
Twin Cities, MN & Nationally · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
2mo
Honestly it's the triage loop more than any single one. The vague tenant message, deciding if it's a true emergency, then coordinating vendor and tenant schedules while keeping the ticket current. AppFolio/Buildium log the ticket fine, they just don't handle the back-and-forth for you, and after-hours is the worst of it. The PMs who suffer least put a structured intake up front (a few required questions so every request comes in with what, where, and how urgent) so triage isn't a guessing game. What size portfolio are you running? It shifts a lot past ~50 units.
Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 29 votes
1mo
Everyone answers this with "vendor coordination" or "the software." I'd push back... the real headache is trust. Half the delay on any repair isn't scheduling, it's the owner sitting on an approval because they don't trust what they're being charged. I've seen owners eat weeks of vacancy arguing over a $300 invoice because their PM's history gave them a reason to doubt it. Strip the markup out completely — show them the actual vendor bill, no cut for you — and approvals move in hours, not days. Tenant communication and vendor coordination are real problems, sure, but they get a lot easier once the owner isn't treating every repair request as a negotiation with someone who profits from saying yes.