Need advice regarding tenant complaint about home cooling

Need advice regarding tenant complaint about home cooling

Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes

I am a new landlord and would appreciate advice on a situation I’m facing. I recently purchased a new 2,500 sq ft, three-level townhouse and rented it out a few months ago. The home has thermostats on all three levels. The tenant has been somewhat difficult since the beginning. She sent me a text complaining that the home is not cool enough. The thermostat is currently set at 67°F and the HVAC system is functioning, but she wants to lower the temperature to 65°F.

I advised her to keep all three thermostats set consistently, as she currently has the lowest level turned off, which could create uneven cooling. Also, since the home is new and under warranty, I contacted the HVAC company. They were extremely helpful. They informed me that the thermostat is locked at 67°F and do not recommend lowering it below this due to the risk of the coils freezing. Lowering it would require my authorization. 

Based on their guidance, I declined to authorize the change to avoid potential damage to the HVAC. I then got a nasty text message from the tenant as below.

“I’m sorry but if I am going to pay rent here I want it lower. My quality of sleep is going down for my daughter and I. We are sweating every single night. At my last townhome I kept the thermostat at 65 and NEVER had any issues. I can’t live here in these conditions! It’s going to be summertime, temperature going to rise and it’s only going to get worse.”

She also called and left this voice message:

“Hi, could please give me a call back as soon as possible so we can make a resolution to this. I'm not gonna be able to live here in these conditions. So we need to figure out if I need to break my lease so I can move out of here because I'm not going to pay rent at this home and I cannot turn the thermostat down 2 degrees. It's ridiculous. Can you please give me a call back?”

I am not sure how to handle this situation and want to be professional. I am also a bit stressed as I am new to this. She seems to be being unreasonable. It is only March - the temperature is being maintained at 67 and wanting 65 degrees seems a bit extreme. She is also not running the thermostats on all levels.

I am thinking of authorizing the HVAC company to lower the setting but also sending her an email that she will be responsible for any damages incurred since it goes against the HVAC company’s recommendation.

I would appreciate your opinions as I would like to respond to her as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

3Reply
368 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6mo

First of all, check your local "minimum housing standards", there may be a spec for Rental properties in particular.

Secondly, what is the ambient temperature for the period of her complaint. Typically a 20 - 25 degree differential is the most you can get out of an ideal system, hot or cold.

Third, did she inquire or mention such a requirement prior to move in? I doubt it.

What floor is she having issue with? Heat rises, I would expect upper floor to be warmer unless you actually have three separate, or zoned, systems. 

Buy one of these data loggers and place it in a draft free area of the room she is unhappy with. After a 24 hour period remove it and examine the resulting chart. You will be able to observe the operating cycles and see the actual temperatures. 

If necessary, just let her out of the Rental without penalty as long as she leaves it clean and essentially same as at move in. It's better to get rid of a PITA, there are far more good Tenants out there.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6mo

    Additionally, if she wants to break the lease, I'm not sure how that would work. She wanted a locked in two year lease (no early termination clause) and we agreed on one year to see how things would go. The lease will be up at the end of October so there is still some time left. Any advice on that front would also be appreciated. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    First of all, check your local "minimum housing standards", there may be a spec for Rental properties in particular.

    Secondly, what is the ambient temperature for the period of her complaint. Typically a 20 - 25 degree differential is the most you can get out of an ideal system, hot or cold.

    Third, did she inquire or mention such a requirement prior to move in? I doubt it.

    What floor is she having issue with? Heat rises, I would expect upper floor to be warmer unless you actually have three separate, or zoned, systems. 

    Buy one of these data loggers and place it in a draft free area of the room she is unhappy with. After a 24 hour period remove it and examine the resulting chart. You will be able to observe the operating cycles and see the actual temperatures. 

    If necessary, just let her out of the Rental without penalty as long as she leaves it clean and essentially same as at move in. It's better to get rid of a PITA, there are far more good Tenants out there.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    6mo

    Neelu, you are handling this appropriately by following the HVAC company’s guidance. I wouldn’t override that and risk damage to the system. You may want to schedule an inspection with the tenant present so the technician can confirm the system is functioning properly and if it is, have the technician explain to her how it works and why it shouldn’t be set below 67°F. That often carries more credibility. If she continues to insist she is uncomfortable and not sleeping well, you may want to consider releasing her from the lease without penalty to avoid ongoing issues.

    Also, was this tenant thoroughly screened and did you contact her previous landlord before approving her application? The fact that you opt not to sign a 2 year lease and was treating the 1st year as a trial, led me to believe you may have had your doubts or concerns.

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Neelu, you are handling this appropriately by following the HVAC company’s guidance. I wouldn’t override that and risk damage to the system. You may want to schedule an inspection with the tenant present so the technician can confirm the system is functioning properly and if it is, have the technician explain to her how it works and why it shouldn’t be set below 67°F. That often carries more credibility. If she continues to insist she is uncomfortable and not sleeping well, you may want to consider releasing her from the lease without penalty to avoid ongoing issues.

      Also, was this tenant thoroughly screened and did you contact her previous landlord before approving her application? The fact that you opt not to sign a 2 year lease and was treating the 1st year as a trial, led me to believe you may have had your doubts or concerns.

      @Janice Carter - thank you for your reply. We did screen the tenant but in retrospect, we overlooked some niggling things. Her credit and payment history was fine but when we called the previous landlord for references, he was hard to reach and didn't respond to messages and was a bit cagey. When directly asked if he had been happy with her tenancy, he visibly hesitated before saying yes. The reason he gave for her moving out was that he planned to sell his townhouse, and sure enough, it was up for sale on Zillow when we checked. Still, something seemed a bit off to our gut so we decided to go with only a one year lease rather than the two year lock in that she requested. 

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6mo

    67 degrees is a reasonable temp and i highly doubt there are any local laws stating it needs to be able to be cooler.  I would explain that the temp cant be adjusted further and you understand if that doesnt work for her and you understand if she needs to move.  Just ask for a minimum number of days that works for you.  I would say 30-45 days in this scenario for me.  ANd say you will do so without penalty and return deposit as long as she leves the house in the condition she received it in.  WIthout knowing the specifics of your market, a newer townhouse in great condition should rent relatively quickly if rent is set correctly and competitively.  it maybe better to just move on.

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Brian Campbell:

      67 degrees is a reasonable temp and i highly doubt there are any local laws stating it needs to be able to be cooler.  I would explain that the temp cant be adjusted further and you understand if that doesnt work for her and you understand if she needs to move.  Just ask for a minimum number of days that works for you.  I would say 30-45 days in this scenario for me.  ANd say you will do so without penalty and return deposit as long as she leves the house in the condition she received it in.  WIthout knowing the specifics of your market, a newer townhouse in great condition should rent relatively quickly if rent is set correctly and competitively.  it maybe better to just move on.


       @Brian Campbell - yes, the townhouse is in a good location and area. There was interest when it came on the market and everyone who saw it liked it. However, we put it up just after the summer. There is an elementary school nearby, and perhaps if it had come on the market in June/July, it would have rented faster. By the time we closed and put it up for rent, it was October and the rental market had cooled a bit. I noticed people seemed to be haggling more on the rent, wanting a good deal. 

      Regarding this tenant, what bugs me about this situation is that she is being unreasonable in her expectation. When some people want their own way, they are rude and aggressive, stamp their feet like spoiled kids and believe they should get what they want because they are paying rent, and do not factor in what is logical and reasonable. By letting her out of the lease so easily, she gets away with wasting our time, and wearing out our unit which is no longer fresh and brand-new. Still, I see the point that sometimes it is better to cut one's losses and let a PITA tenant go. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      6mo

      @Neelu Kalra    Agreed. Just ask yourself. Is this an isolated incident or could this behavior continue the next time she wants something that you can't provide.  If you feel it's isolated maybe she will accept the change can be made.   

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Brian Campbell:

      @Neelu Kalra    Agreed. Just ask yourself. Is this an isolated incident or could this behavior continue the next time she wants something that you can't provide.  If you feel it's isolated maybe she will accept the change can be made.   

      I don't see this as an isolated incident. She moved in last October and it's been one thing after another. First, she complained about ants which we simply fixed with some Terro from Home Depot, then there was a broken dishwasher disposal (it was fine at the time of handover: but we were able to get it fixed because the townhouse is still under warranty), then we got a notice from the HOA about a community covenant violation because she was leaving the trash can outside, and now it's the AC temperature complaint. In every case, we have been very responsive and addressed her issues quickly and professionally.

      However, as of today, she is stubbornly insisting that she wants to have the temperature at 65 degrees and doesn't feel she should be liable "for a 2 degrees difference just because the HVAC company says they recommend keeping it at 67 degrees" She didn't sign the liability acknowledgement we sent her and is doggedly asking "when we are going to authorize the HVAC company to lower the temperature." It's as though she doesn't want to listen to reason but just "wants her own way."

      My concern is that the rent is due by the 3rd and she may use this as an excuse to not pay and just be difficult. 

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      6mo

      @Neelu Kalra  if it were me I would hold firm and tell her that unfortunately the temp can't be adjusted any lower than that and that I understand if it doesn't work for her and she needs to move that I would let her out of the lease without penalty with 30 days notice.      If the local law and lease doesn't specify the temps needing to be cooled to 65 degrees (which I highly doubt they do) then she has no grounds to hold the rent back and you have every right to file for eviction if she doesn't pay you by a reasonable time frame.    

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Neelu Kalra:
      Quote from @Brian Campbell:

      @Neelu Kalra    Agreed. Just ask yourself. Is this an isolated incident or could this behavior continue the next time she wants something that you can't provide.  If you feel it's isolated maybe she will accept the change can be made.   

      I don't see this as an isolated incident. She moved in last October and it's been one thing after another. First, she complained about ants which we simply fixed with some Terro from Home Depot, then there was a broken dishwasher disposal (it was fine at the time of handover: but we were able to get it fixed because the townhouse is still under warranty), then we got a notice from the HOA about a community covenant violation because she was leaving the trash can outside, and now it's the AC temperature complaint. In every case, we have been very responsive and addressed her issues quickly and professionally.

      However, as of today, she is stubbornly insisting that she wants to have the temperature at 65 degrees and doesn't feel she should be liable "for a 2 degrees difference just because the HVAC company says they recommend keeping it at 67 degrees" She didn't sign the liability acknowledgement we sent her and is doggedly asking "when we are going to authorize the HVAC company to lower the temperature." It's as though she doesn't want to listen to reason but just "wants her own way."

      My concern is that the rent is due by the 3rd and she may use this as an excuse to not pay and just be difficult. 


      At a certain point, you MUST learn how to say NO!

      Whatever that takes!!!

      Do NOT let tenant threats drive your decisions when you've done everything reasonably possible - just document the crap out of everything.

      If this were to go to court, how do you think a judge/jury would react to to this 2 degree temperature complaint?

  • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6mo

    Thank you for your replies and I appreciate your taking the time to write. 

    @Richard F - Georgia recommends rental units provide temperatures between 65-85 degrees and we are well within that range. 

    This is what ChatGPT said 

    "Under Georgia law and administrative codeGa. Comp. R. & Regs. R. 290-9-37-.10, landlords must provide utilities that allow a residence to be maintained between 65°F and 85°F. As your unit is successfully holding a temperature of 67°F, it is objectively within the legal range for habitability and is considered in "good repair" under the Georgia Safe Home Act (HB 404)."

    You are technically and legally on solid ground. In Georgia, 65°F is an extreme cooling demand, not a standard requirement for habitability. The argument about coil freezing is a well-documented mechanical reality. Most residential HVAC systems are designed to maintain a 20-degree difference from the outside air; forcing a system to hit 65°F during a Georgia summer can lead to: Evaporator coil icing, which eventually stops all cooling, Liquid slugging, which can destroy the compressor, Excessive wear from the system running 24/7 without cycling off. From a management perspective, if the unit is successfully holding 67°F, it is performing exceptionally well and is well within the 65°F–85°F range recommended for Georgia rentals. Unless your lease explicitly guarantees a lower temperature, you are fulfilling your obligation to provide a functional, "habitable" climate.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Neelu Kalra:

    I am a new landlord and would appreciate advice on a situation I’m facing. I recently purchased a new 2,500 sq ft, three-level townhouse and rented it out a few months ago. The home has thermostats on all three levels. The tenant has been somewhat difficult since the beginning. She sent me a text complaining that the home is not cool enough. The thermostat is currently set at 67°F and the HVAC system is functioning, but she wants to lower the temperature to 65°F.

    I advised her to keep all three thermostats set consistently, as she currently has the lowest level turned off, which could create uneven cooling. Also, since the home is new and under warranty, I contacted the HVAC company. They were extremely helpful. They informed me that the thermostat is locked at 67°F and do not recommend lowering it below this due to the risk of the coils freezing. Lowering it would require my authorization. 

    Based on their guidance, I declined to authorize the change to avoid potential damage to the HVAC. I then got a nasty text message from the tenant as below.

    “I’m sorry but if I am going to pay rent here I want it lower. My quality of sleep is going down for my daughter and I. We are sweating every single night. At my last townhome I kept the thermostat at 65 and NEVER had any issues. I can’t live here in these conditions! It’s going to be summertime, temperature going to rise and it’s only going to get worse.”

    She also called and left this voice message:

    “Hi, could please give me a call back as soon as possible so we can make a resolution to this. I'm not gonna be able to live here in these conditions. So we need to figure out if I need to break my lease so I can move out of here because I'm not going to pay rent at this home and I cannot turn the thermostat down 2 degrees. It's ridiculous. Can you please give me a call back?”

    I am not sure how to handle this situation and want to be professional. I am also a bit stressed as I am new to this. She seems to be being unreasonable. It is only March - the temperature is being maintained at 67 and wanting 65 degrees seems a bit extreme. She is also not running the thermostats on all levels.

    I am thinking of authorizing the HVAC company to lower the setting but also sending her an email that she will be responsible for any damages incurred since it goes against the HVAC company’s recommendation.

    I would appreciate your opinions as I would like to respond to her as soon as possible. Thank you very much.


    See if Atlanta, and/or state of Georgia, has statutes regarding max temps allowed.

    Even if they do, can't imagine it would be lower than 82 degrees Phoenix requires.

    So, find out and send to tenant.

    Do NOT let their personal preferences potentially damage your HVAC system!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    6mo

    Neelu, it sounds like you are dealing with a difficult tenant. These types tend to complain often, consume your time and make landlording stressful. The real question is whether it is worth keeping her or letting her go, so you can find a better fit. With spring here, now is actually a good time to make that change. If you are inexperienced with the screening process, you may want to have a professional secure a strong tenant first, then self-manage. Self-managing is much easier once the right tenant is in place. I am a real estate broker and property manager here in Atlanta, feel free to reach out if you need help.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Neelu Kalra:

    I am a new landlord and would appreciate advice on a situation I’m facing. I recently purchased a new 2,500 sq ft, three-level townhouse and rented it out a few months ago. The home has thermostats on all three levels. The tenant has been somewhat difficult since the beginning. She sent me a text complaining that the home is not cool enough. The thermostat is currently set at 67°F and the HVAC system is functioning, but she wants to lower the temperature to 65°F.

    I advised her to keep all three thermostats set consistently, as she currently has the lowest level turned off, which could create uneven cooling. Also, since the home is new and under warranty, I contacted the HVAC company. They were extremely helpful. They informed me that the thermostat is locked at 67°F and do not recommend lowering it below this due to the risk of the coils freezing. Lowering it would require my authorization. 

    Based on their guidance, I declined to authorize the change to avoid potential damage to the HVAC. I then got a nasty text message from the tenant as below.

    “I’m sorry but if I am going to pay rent here I want it lower. My quality of sleep is going down for my daughter and I. We are sweating every single night. At my last townhome I kept the thermostat at 65 and NEVER had any issues. I can’t live here in these conditions! It’s going to be summertime, temperature going to rise and it’s only going to get worse.”

    She also called and left this voice message:

    “Hi, could please give me a call back as soon as possible so we can make a resolution to this. I'm not gonna be able to live here in these conditions. So we need to figure out if I need to break my lease so I can move out of here because I'm not going to pay rent at this home and I cannot turn the thermostat down 2 degrees. It's ridiculous. Can you please give me a call back?”

    I am not sure how to handle this situation and want to be professional. I am also a bit stressed as I am new to this. She seems to be being unreasonable. It is only March - the temperature is being maintained at 67 and wanting 65 degrees seems a bit extreme. She is also not running the thermostats on all levels.

    I am thinking of authorizing the HVAC company to lower the setting but also sending her an email that she will be responsible for any damages incurred since it goes against the HVAC company’s recommendation.

    I would appreciate your opinions as I would like to respond to her as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

    You are being reasonable.

    Is that her only complaint or is it even her real complaint? Is she generally reasonable or generally a pain in the butt?

     Anyway, send her to Home Depot or Lowes or MInards and have her buy a floor unit at her expense, to reduce the room temp further. Just make sure it is properly vented.
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    6mo

    @Neelu Kalra

    I took another look at the original post, and something about the setup stands out to me.

    A 3-level townhouse with three separate HVAC systems seems unusual. For context, I’ve lived in both a 3-level townhouse (~1,800 sq ft) and a 3-level single-family home (~2,700 sq ft), and both had a single heat pump system.

    In the single-family home, the air handler was in the basement, and the top floor consistently ran about 7–9°F warmer than the basement (and closer to a 15°F difference in winter). In the townhouse, the air handler was on the middle level with a partially below-grade lower level, and temperatures stayed much tighter—typically within 3–5°F across all floors.

    So looking at your situation—a 3-level, ~2,500 sq ft townhouse with three systems—I think we need more detail. Are these all fully ducted systems with separate air handlers and condensers? Or is it a mix of ducted and ductless units?

    More context on the configuration would help narrow down the root cause of the cooling issue.

    I do agree with others that the tenant may end up being a frequent complainer—but before writing it off, I’d want to better understand the system setup. There may be a straightforward fix here depending on how everything is configured.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

      @Neelu Kalra

      I took another look at the original post, and something about the setup stands out to me.

      A 3-level townhouse with three separate HVAC systems seems unusual. For context, I’ve lived in both a 3-level townhouse (~1,800 sq ft) and a 3-level single-family home (~2,700 sq ft), and both had a single heat pump system.

      In the single-family home, the air handler was in the basement, and the top floor consistently ran about 7–9°F warmer than the basement (and closer to a 15°F difference in winter). In the townhouse, the air handler was on the middle level with a partially below-grade lower level, and temperatures stayed much tighter—typically within 3–5°F across all floors.

      So looking at your situation—a 3-level, ~2,500 sq ft townhouse with three systems—I think we need more detail. Are these all fully ducted systems with separate air handlers and condensers? Or is it a mix of ducted and ductless units?

      More context on the configuration would help narrow down the root cause of the cooling issue.

      I do agree with others that the tenant may end up being a frequent complainer—but before writing it off, I’d want to better understand the system setup. There may be a straightforward fix here depending on how everything is configured.

      Agreed, it could be as simple as opening a room vent or a branch duct flow control valve. Or, 3 separate systems. If OP is not familiar with the system(s), and given the alleged complaint of the system not meeting Tenant's needs by a whole two degrees, I would still insist on placing a data logger in the room (or several in different areas of all floors) to see accurately what the factual conditions are. Same would apply if complaint was that furnace was not adequately heating to a preferred comfort level. There are a lot of variables affecting performance, from insulation, to window types, and drafty door or window seals. For two degrees I would not have sent a tech out. I would have a runner place the data logger and retrieve it the next day.
    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

      @Neelu Kalra

      I took another look at the original post, and something about the setup stands out to me.

      A 3-level townhouse with three separate HVAC systems seems unusual. For context, I’ve lived in both a 3-level townhouse (~1,800 sq ft) and a 3-level single-family home (~2,700 sq ft), and both had a single heat pump system.

      In the single-family home, the air handler was in the basement, and the top floor consistently ran about 7–9°F warmer than the basement (and closer to a 15°F difference in winter). In the townhouse, the air handler was on the middle level with a partially below-grade lower level, and temperatures stayed much tighter—typically within 3–5°F across all floors.

      So looking at your situation—a 3-level, ~2,500 sq ft townhouse with three systems—I think we need more detail. Are these all fully ducted systems with separate air handlers and condensers? Or is it a mix of ducted and ductless units?

      More context on the configuration would help narrow down the root cause of the cooling issue.

      I do agree with others that the tenant may end up being a frequent complainer—but before writing it off, I’d want to better understand the system setup. There may be a straightforward fix here depending on how everything is configured.

      Thank you for your response. To clarify - there is one HVAC for the townhouse and 3 zones (lower, middle, and upper) with separate thermostats for each level. The 3 levels are open and a staircase goes from top to bottom. The HVAC unit is outside, on the side of the townhouse, and the air handler is in the attic. 
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6mo

    @Neelu Kalra  Hot air rises, if this is a multilevel unit keeping the lower level off is her issue unless she really is sensitive to two degrees. If you don't have absolute closure between the floors the hot air from the lowest level is coming up.  I have a house like this and can tell you firsthand.  Also does she have window coverings if you have alot of windows it will heat up without window covering.  There should be returns, does she have any of them closed? I will bet it is not even 67 on the top floor at night if she isn't running the lowest level.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    6mo

    You are renting a home not a walk in cooler. Getting down to 67 degrees is quite a task for any HVAC system especially in Georgia. So it must be working great. Can you put a cheap window unit in the bedroom. They also have thermostats that you can adjust to read for example 65 degrees but it will actually shut off at 67. Ask your HVAC tech. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 552 posts · 319 votes
    6mo

    You’re handling this more thoughtfully than most first-time situations like this — the key here is separating comfort from system limits.

    If the HVAC is maintaining 67°F and the contractor is advising against going lower due to risk of freezing coils, that becomes less of a preference issue and more of a system constraint. Authorizing something that could damage the equipment usually isn’t a position you want to take on as the owner.

    The bigger issue I see is how the system is being used. Running multiple thermostats inconsistently (like turning one level off) can absolutely create uneven cooling, especially in a multi-level property.

    In situations like this, I’d usually:
    • Reconfirm in writing what the HVAC company advised (keep it factual, not emotional)
    • Make sure the system is being used as intended (all zones set consistently)
    • Offer to have the HVAC company re-check performance if needed, so it’s documented

    That keeps you reasonable and responsive, without taking on unnecessary risk.

    I’d be careful about authorizing 65° and shifting liability to the tenant — that tends to get messy if something actually goes wrong.

    If the system is functioning properly and within normal parameters, this typically comes down to managing expectations rather than making mechanical changes.

  • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6mo

    I'd like to express my thanks to all those who have taken the time to write and give me your opinion. It has been very helpful. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6mo

    Come summer she will complain about the electric bill trying to keep at 65 in the summer heat . Its spring , the place will re rent . Let her go now before it gets worse

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    6mo

    Neelu — sorry you’re dealing with this, especially being new. Situations like this can be more draining than they should be.

    Based on what you described, you’ve handled this well so far. You checked with the HVAC company, got a professional opinion, and are trying to protect the property. That’s exactly what you should be doing.

    At this point, I’d lean toward having a very clear and firm conversation with the tenant. Some tenants will continue to push boundaries, and if you give in once, it often sets the tone for more issues down the road. You can stay professional but be direct that the system is functioning properly, you’ve confirmed with the HVAC company, and you’re not comfortable going against their recommendation due to potential damage.

    Also, some people are just never going to be satisfied and will continue to find issues. Given the tone of her response this early in the lease, it may be worth thinking about whether this is someone you want to manage long term.

    If it were me, I’d consider trying to find a reasonable path to an exit if the behavior continues. Sometimes a clean break early is better than dealing with ongoing stress for the next year. Alternatively, if you don’t want to handle this type of interaction, turning it over to a property management company can help create some separation.

    Big picture, protect your mental bandwidth. One difficult tenant can take up a disproportionate amount of time and energy, and it’s usually not worth it.

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    @Neelu Kalra  at this point I would put together a short formal written communication.  We are within the allowed temperature range per Georgia law.  We have indicated that the thermostat should be adjusted on all levels for a consistent temperature. We have spoken to the HVAC company that the decrease to 65 is a danger to the unit and not recommended and WILL NOT be authorized. Given those circumstances we consider the issue closed.  Add one of the following choices 1. we are willing to mutually terminate the lease under x conditions.  2.  Although we always take calls on maintenance issues we consider this a resolved issue and we request that you do not contact our office again on this issue. 

      I have a house like this they have to adjust all the thermostats, it just does not work otherwise.  

  • Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 68 votes
    5mo
    I would suggest the tenant install a window a/c unit if that is an option.  Otherwise, go into Nancy Reagan mode and " just say no".  No is a complete sentence.  She sounds like they type of tenant I do not want.  If the a/c is fixed, next it will be the paint color is agitating her dog.
  • Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 68 votes
    5mo
    I would suggest she make it cooler with a window a/c unit she purchases herself.  If that is not an option, go into Nancy Reagan mode and " JUST SAY NO ".  Because if you 'fix' this issue, next it will be : "the paint color in the kitchen HAS TO CHANGE. It's aggravating my dog's anxiety disorder!!!".
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Time for you to set boundaries. We tell tenants that we guarantee that the temperature will get to 78 degrees. If they want it cooler than they have to purchase supplementary equipment. Now, we make exceptions, but we want to set boundaries immediately. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.