How many "Insured" mortgages can you have legally?

How many "Insured" mortgages can you have legally?

Investor · Waterford, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 12 votes

Hello,

I have a question with regards to owning properties / having multiple mortgages which are insured by CMHC, Genworth or Canadian Guarantee. 

I am looking to find out how many "Insured" mortgages you can have at one point? (I want to do things legally, not interested in mortgage fraud or anything. (Want to ensure all knows that as I seen other threads get onto that topic quick)

The reason I am asking is because;

a) I want to own more houses with little (less then 20% down) and 

b) I have 2 grandmothers who are in need of a home in the near future, both my grandfathers has passed away. Our family are looking to get them into a smaller house, low maintenance, and close to family. - (This is not my excuse for getting less then 20% down, this is actually true.) Therefore the houses would be occupied by family therefore to my understanding we can get less then 20% down.

Questions

1. How many mortgages we can legally have that would be insured with CMHC, Genworth or Canadian Guarantee at one point?

2. In the future (years down the road) should one or both of my grandmothers decide to move elsewhere or into a elderly home, can I legally turn the houses into a rental property (not to a family member)? if not am i obligated to sell?

3. If above is legally acceptable to the insures requirements, at what point / how long needs to pass in order for the property to be rented to someone other then a family member?

Again I am looking for answers that are legit / legal. I want to grow my portfolio without having issues.

Thanks,

Nick

1Reply
8 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Prince George, British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Nick V. I've always been curious about this aswell, how have you made out with this?

  • Investor · Waterford, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack Young:

    @Nick V. I've always been curious about this aswell, how have you made out with this?

     I think its an unknown answer. I think if the your doing as per the rules its a possibility to have multiple but i think its you need to try to find out kind of thing.

  • Investor · Prince George, British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 12 votes
    10y

     @Nick V. there is another forum under real estate in Canada asking if it's possible to get more properties with 5% down, lots of good info on the subject there.

  • Investor · Waterford, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack Young:

     @Nick V. there is another forum under real estate in Canada asking if it's possible to get more properties with 5% down, lots of good info on the subject there.

     Maybe you can send me the link if you dont mind. Thanks!

  • Investor/Mortgage Agent · Cambridge , Ontario · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Hi Nick Van Dyk ... That's a great question. I'm a mortgage agent and I'd be happy to answer your question for you. Message me when you have some time.
  • Investor · Grande Prairie, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    When we got our duplex we put 5% down and moved into it for a year.  Our mortgage broker told us that we need to intend on living there for 1 year to be able to put 5%.  

    It is something I would like to get a lawyers thoughts on as nobody ever seems to be able to give a straight black and white answer.  

    We are possibly going to be doing this again in the next couple months.  

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    The answer is "one"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.