Looking for guidance — ongoing billing / transparency issues with PPMG (REI Nation)

Looking for guidance — ongoing billing / transparency issues with PPMG (REI Nation)

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone — posting here hoping for guidance and visibility from REI Nation and others who may have worked with PPMG.

I purchased a turnkey property through REI Nation in July 2023 (managed by PPMG of Texas). For roughly the first two years things were generally fine, with only one tenant turnover.

Over time, however, the diligence and transparency from PPMG seems to have deteriorated significantly.

Here’s the high-level timeline:

  • July 2023: Purchased property via REI Nation. Initial experience was positive.
  • 2023–mid 2025: Mostly smooth operations with one tenant turnover.
  • July 2025: Tenant broke lease. Property has been vacant since then. The tenant account was supposedly sent to collections, but I’ve had zero visibility into recovery progress, status updates, or any funds recovered.
  • Since vacancy, PPMG provided move-out repair estimates. I paid those.
  • Despite that, I’m now being told I still owe ~$2,100 additional, but PPMG has not provided vendor invoices or receipts — only internal accounting summaries with dollar amounts and brief descriptions.

Some specific issues I’m struggling with:

  • I never receive actual third-party invoices — only line items like “plumbing,” “yard,” “cosmetic,” etc.
  • Locks were rekeyed three separate times against a single rekey estimate.
  • Yard “quick cuts” continued repeatedly even after the full move-out landscape cleanup was already charged.
  • Plumbing work was added even though there was no standalone plumbing budget in the original estimate.
  • Cosmetic repairs exceeded the quoted cosmetic budget, including countertop/backsplash work that was never in the estimate.
  • Utilities exceeded the estimate by several hundred dollars while the property sat vacant.
  • Multiple cleanings extended into January 2026.
  • A December email cited an additional $1,276 supposedly required for City of Mesquite inspection compliance — again with no inspection report or invoices.
  • Recent accounting shows what appear to be duplicated or fragmented charges across categories.

Even after paying the original estimates, I’m now being asked for more money without basic documentation. That’s extremely frustrating as an owner.

At this point:

  • The property has been vacant since July 2025.
  • I have no visibility into collections on the tenant.
  • I don’t receive vendor invoices.
  • Repair costs keep expanding after the fact.
  • I’m being asked for additional funds without substantiation.

Overall, this experience has been disappointing and is making me seriously question whether to continue with PPMG. Unfortunately, it also leaves me with a negative impression around buying additional properties through REI Nation if this is the ongoing operational experience.

I’m posting here to:

  1. See if other REI Nation / PPMG owners have had similar experiences.
  2. Ask REI Nation if someone can help intervene or provide oversight.
  3. Get guidance on how best to resolve this constructively.

I’m not trying to attack anyone — I just want transparency, proper invoices, and accountability for how my funds are being spent.

Appreciate any advice or help.

Thank you.

0Reply
374 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris ClothierBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7mo

I’ve been contemplating exactly how to respond to this post. I genuinely appreciate that Srini has been pleasant on his calls with our team. So, I want to be respectful and not come off as petty. However, I had hoped that after our conversations, there would be another post updating a few factual errors or omissions from the history. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened, and now the thread is reaching a point where I have to respond. I mean, we’ve been called incompetent, accused of lacking transparency, and of treating clients poorly, and I have @Drew Sygit writing about us possibly hiding squatters, so I have to set the record straight.  

I think it was Greg who used the two-word sentence above, Tough Love.  He was right, and this post is going to feel that way.  If you're going to post on BP, just be truthful.  Don't leave out facts, and don't let other posters run wild with their responses.  

I am going to leave out personal details here and simply state that there were several extenuating circumstances on the OP's part that affected the timeline. We were always understanding, and, frankly, our team in Texas, who have been working on this, was surprised by the post and even more upset by the other posts.  

To be clear, we have communicated with the OP 54 times since August 26, and while there have been questions, none of the interactions were ever negative.  

Here is the scorecard with the deeper details below:



~ Property goes vacant August 26 (not July), with partial August rent paid

~ 51 days to receive owner approval to bring back to market


~ 30 days to complete renovations and request an inspection

~ 8 days to complete inspection, repairs, and receive clearance

~ 36 days to secure a qualified resident for 2 year lease with 2nd year increase

~ additional 30 days before move-in.

These are not the best performance numbers we've posted on a property, but they're far from incompetent and likely closer to average (except for the approval time) at this point in the market.

Here are the details and dates I reviewed from our team to see what is left out of the original post:

- We have had 54 interactions, including emails and phone calls, since August 26th, including two calls yesterday with Nate Gray.   

- Every request you have made of our team has received a response on the same day or within 24 hours.

- Your resident voluntarily moved out by August 26th after only being able to pay partial rent for that month. Your property has not been vacant since July.

- You were notified on August 26th that the property was secured and sent a move-out estimate of repairs and work needed, including current condition pictures. You were also informed that the resident would forfeit their deposit, and that the partial month of rent owed could be forwarded to a third-party collections agency, where you would receive 60% of any amounts collected.

- On September 4th, you were sent the following email from our team setting proper expectations for what to expect with this particular move-out.

“Dear Srini,

I hope this message finds you well. As we prepare to fill the vacancy at your property, we wanted to take a moment to set expectations for the upcoming rental process.

Please note that the city of Mesquite has recently implemented much stricter rental inspection guidelines for rental properties. As part of this, properties are increasingly requiring additional repairs or improvements to meet compliance standards before they can be rented out again. These inspections may involve more extensive repairs than in previous years, and additional repairs or upgrades may be needed to meet the city’s requirements.

Given these changes, we may experience some delays in getting the property ready for new residents. Additionally, there could be additional repair costs associated with bringing the property up to current standards.

While we will work diligently to manage this process and minimize any delays, we wanted to make sure you’re prepared for the possibility of extended vacancy and additional work that goes beyond the attached repair list.

We will keep you informed on any additional repairs required to meet compliance standards.

Thank you for your understanding, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.”

- We speak and email multiple times over the next 6 weeks, but do not receive approval to move forward with repairs.

- On October 17th, we finally have approval from you to move forward with repairs and payment. This is 51 days after being notified of your vacancy.  Again, you fail to explain that we waived any mark-ups on this project and completed all work at vendor cost, including the costs that we fronted for you. At this point, we are only fixing the property, and you are unsure if you will resell or rent.

- On November 13th, we called and inquired about the rental process as we are completing repairs, and you informed us that you do want to rent the property.

Just before Thanksgiving, we requested that the city of Mesquite inspect the property and grant us permission to rent it.

- On December 2, the property is inspected and fails initial inspection. A small list of items is provided, and our team quickly dispatches and completes them. (This is where an additional locksmith item is noted).

- On December 10, the property passes inspection, and we are given permission to occupy.

- December 12th, you are notified by email that all work has been completed, including two city inspections. You were sent copies of both inspections. You were also notified at this time of the final balance and the need to replace the dishwasher, which would become a point of contention.

This email notifies you that you have a negative portfolio balance that needs to be paid. It includes inspection repairs, items above and beyond the original estimate, and a new dishwasher.

- On January 6, you visit the property and have a few minor questions, and are still not satisfied with being charged for a new dishwasher.

- On January 19th, you are informed that we have a qualified resident who will be signing a two-year lease and occupying the property on February 19th. The conversation continues by email to January 22nd, where you email Annie, “Thank You Annie! You are the best :)

- On February 11th, you were notified that your property had a resident preparing to move in, and you had continued to have an outstanding negative balance with our management company. You were also informed that one particular item, a dishwasher, still needed to be installed and approved by you before move-in.

Monday, February 16

 - On February 16th, Annie reminds you that we need to install the dishwasher and address the negative portfolio balance.

Later that day, you would speak with Annie and request an accounting and explanation of the portfolio balance, and express frustration over the dishwasher.

At 4:24 PM, Annie provides a spreadsheet showing estimated costs, actual costs, and additional work required by the city. All of this information had been provided previously, but this time she put it in a spreadsheet format for you to see more clearly.

At 6:30 PM, after business hours, you sent an email outlining your ongoing concerns, formally disputing that you owed any balance, and requesting a litany of items. You stated that if you did not receive an answer in 7 days, you would escalate the matter and seek regulatory remedies.

At roughly 7:00 pm, you make your post on BP. We have not even had a chance to see your email, respond to your email, or put you in touch with Nate, who manages our customer service operations and oversees property management.

Tuesday, February 17

Nate spoke with you twice today and confirmed we’ll cover the cost of a new dishwasher, even though we’re not obligated to do so. Later, he sent the locksmith invoices, utility bills, and Mesquite lock code requirements you requested, and asked if you had any other questions. 

We’ve communicated with you over 50 times since the property went vacant — always promptly and transparently. We gave you 51 days of flexibility while you decided next steps, waived our markup fee, and proactively warned you about expected delays/costs with the City of Mesquite.  Unfortunately, we had no opportunity to respond to your email before you posted on BP. 

All of this could have been avoided. Instead, the thread left the impression that we let your property sit vacant since July with zero communication and random bills, which isn’t accurate, and it invited unwarranted criticism and speculation based on a very incomplete picture.  

My sincere hope is that the new resident loves the home and service, and you have a long, uneventful ownership.  If you still feel you can find a better property management company, send us the notice, and we will be happy to work with you to transfer.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7mo

    I have no experience with this group, but have extensive SF rental experience.

    All your complaints are legitimate.  To me, the most egregious issue is that this property has remained vacant for 7 months.  By far, that is your biggest expense.

    If I were you, I would not be concerned about fixing this relationship.  I would be looking at my contract to see if there are any penalties for terminating this relationship.  Having a property vacant for 7 months screams incompetence.  Time to move on.

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    Thanks for the input Greg. Nate from REI reached out and we are in discussions on how to resolve this. As I mentioned, the first couple of years with REI were great, so I am hoping this was a one time miss and we can resolve this asap. Will keep this thread posted.

    • Greg ScottPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Srini Poosapati:

      Thanks for the input Greg. Nate from REI reached out and we are in discussions on how to resolve this. As I mentioned, the first couple of years with REI were great, so I am hoping this was a one time miss and we can resolve this asap. Will keep this thread posted.

      Tough love.  

      Any good PM will have a list of vacant properties. They should know which ones have been vacant more than 30 days and start to put together action plans.  If it is vacant more than 60 days it should get more attention, and again at 90 or 120. Yours was vacant 210 days!  I'm pretty forgiving but after about 100 days, I would have fired them.

      The reason you have been treated poorly, is because you allowed them to.  A couple of phone calls and it sounds like you let them treat you poorly for a little longer.  Don't be surprised if things don't get better.
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    The lack of transparency is maddening - you're basically funding repairs with zero oversight. I learned to demand all vendor invoices upfront before paying anything, and any work over estimate requires pre-approval. Have you pushed back hard on the documentation requirement?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Srini Poosapati:

    Hi everyone — posting here hoping for guidance and visibility from REI Nation and others who may have worked with PPMG.

    I purchased a turnkey property through REI Nation in July 2023 (managed by PPMG of Texas). For roughly the first two years things were generally fine, with only one tenant turnover.

    Over time, however, the diligence and transparency from PPMG seems to have deteriorated significantly.

    Here’s the high-level timeline:

    • July 2023: Purchased property via REI Nation. Initial experience was positive.
    • 2023–mid 2025: Mostly smooth operations with one tenant turnover.
    • July 2025: Tenant broke lease. Property has been vacant since then. The tenant account was supposedly sent to collections, but I’ve had zero visibility into recovery progress, status updates, or any funds recovered.
    • Since vacancy, PPMG provided move-out repair estimates. I paid those.
    • Despite that, I’m now being told I still owe ~$2,100 additional, but PPMG has not provided vendor invoices or receipts — only internal accounting summaries with dollar amounts and brief descriptions.

    Some specific issues I’m struggling with:

    • I never receive actual third-party invoices — only line items like “plumbing,” “yard,” “cosmetic,” etc.
    • Locks were rekeyed three separate times against a single rekey estimate.
    • Yard “quick cuts” continued repeatedly even after the full move-out landscape cleanup was already charged.
    • Plumbing work was added even though there was no standalone plumbing budget in the original estimate.
    • Cosmetic repairs exceeded the quoted cosmetic budget, including countertop/backsplash work that was never in the estimate.
    • Utilities exceeded the estimate by several hundred dollars while the property sat vacant.
    • Multiple cleanings extended into January 2026.
    • A December email cited an additional $1,276 supposedly required for City of Mesquite inspection compliance — again with no inspection report or invoices.
    • Recent accounting shows what appear to be duplicated or fragmented charges across categories.

    Even after paying the original estimates, I’m now being asked for more money without basic documentation. That’s extremely frustrating as an owner.

    At this point:

    • The property has been vacant since July 2025.
    • I have no visibility into collections on the tenant.
    • I don’t receive vendor invoices.
    • Repair costs keep expanding after the fact.
    • I’m being asked for additional funds without substantiation.

    Overall, this experience has been disappointing and is making me seriously question whether to continue with PPMG. Unfortunately, it also leaves me with a negative impression around buying additional properties through REI Nation if this is the ongoing operational experience.

    I’m posting here to:

    1. See if other REI Nation / PPMG owners have had similar experiences.
    2. Ask REI Nation if someone can help intervene or provide oversight.
    3. Get guidance on how best to resolve this constructively.

    I’m not trying to attack anyone — I just want transparency, proper invoices, and accountability for how my funds are being spent.

    Appreciate any advice or help.

    Thank you.


     Let's separate legitimate concerns vs non.

    Non-legitimate

    1) Vendor receipts: check your management contract.
    Most PMCs do NOT share actual vendor or supplier invoices to hide their markups. Your contract with them either states this or does NOT state they will share them.

    2) Yard Cuts: when did the grass stop growing, so it didn't need to be cut every 1-2 weeks?

    3) Utilities: you should be able to get these bills and figure out if truly high or not.

    4) Collections: we've not been able to find a reliable source that provides consistent updates:(

    Legitimate

    1) No overall accounting of repairs!

    2) Unapproved repairs

    3) No pics/video of before and after repairs

    4) 3 rekeys? Was there a break-in?

    5) City of Mesquite Inspection: PMC should have shared with you, but you can contact city to get a copy.

    It almost seems like there may have been a squatter that they're trying to hide from you.
    - High utilities (?), additional repairs, multiple lock rekeys, etc.

    If REI Nation can't help you get to the bottom of this quickly, you will need to find a new PMC.

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    I’ve been contemplating exactly how to respond to this post. I genuinely appreciate that Srini has been pleasant on his calls with our team. So, I want to be respectful and not come off as petty. However, I had hoped that after our conversations, there would be another post updating a few factual errors or omissions from the history. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened, and now the thread is reaching a point where I have to respond. I mean, we’ve been called incompetent, accused of lacking transparency, and of treating clients poorly, and I have @Drew Sygit writing about us possibly hiding squatters, so I have to set the record straight.  

    I think it was Greg who used the two-word sentence above, Tough Love.  He was right, and this post is going to feel that way.  If you're going to post on BP, just be truthful.  Don't leave out facts, and don't let other posters run wild with their responses.  

    I am going to leave out personal details here and simply state that there were several extenuating circumstances on the OP's part that affected the timeline. We were always understanding, and, frankly, our team in Texas, who have been working on this, was surprised by the post and even more upset by the other posts.  

    To be clear, we have communicated with the OP 54 times since August 26, and while there have been questions, none of the interactions were ever negative.  

    Here is the scorecard with the deeper details below:



    ~ Property goes vacant August 26 (not July), with partial August rent paid

    ~ 51 days to receive owner approval to bring back to market


    ~ 30 days to complete renovations and request an inspection

    ~ 8 days to complete inspection, repairs, and receive clearance

    ~ 36 days to secure a qualified resident for 2 year lease with 2nd year increase

    ~ additional 30 days before move-in.

    These are not the best performance numbers we've posted on a property, but they're far from incompetent and likely closer to average (except for the approval time) at this point in the market.

    Here are the details and dates I reviewed from our team to see what is left out of the original post:

    - We have had 54 interactions, including emails and phone calls, since August 26th, including two calls yesterday with Nate Gray.   

    - Every request you have made of our team has received a response on the same day or within 24 hours.

    - Your resident voluntarily moved out by August 26th after only being able to pay partial rent for that month. Your property has not been vacant since July.

    - You were notified on August 26th that the property was secured and sent a move-out estimate of repairs and work needed, including current condition pictures. You were also informed that the resident would forfeit their deposit, and that the partial month of rent owed could be forwarded to a third-party collections agency, where you would receive 60% of any amounts collected.

    - On September 4th, you were sent the following email from our team setting proper expectations for what to expect with this particular move-out.

    “Dear Srini,

    I hope this message finds you well. As we prepare to fill the vacancy at your property, we wanted to take a moment to set expectations for the upcoming rental process.

    Please note that the city of Mesquite has recently implemented much stricter rental inspection guidelines for rental properties. As part of this, properties are increasingly requiring additional repairs or improvements to meet compliance standards before they can be rented out again. These inspections may involve more extensive repairs than in previous years, and additional repairs or upgrades may be needed to meet the city’s requirements.

    Given these changes, we may experience some delays in getting the property ready for new residents. Additionally, there could be additional repair costs associated with bringing the property up to current standards.

    While we will work diligently to manage this process and minimize any delays, we wanted to make sure you’re prepared for the possibility of extended vacancy and additional work that goes beyond the attached repair list.

    We will keep you informed on any additional repairs required to meet compliance standards.

    Thank you for your understanding, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.”

    - We speak and email multiple times over the next 6 weeks, but do not receive approval to move forward with repairs.

    - On October 17th, we finally have approval from you to move forward with repairs and payment. This is 51 days after being notified of your vacancy.  Again, you fail to explain that we waived any mark-ups on this project and completed all work at vendor cost, including the costs that we fronted for you. At this point, we are only fixing the property, and you are unsure if you will resell or rent.

    - On November 13th, we called and inquired about the rental process as we are completing repairs, and you informed us that you do want to rent the property.

    Just before Thanksgiving, we requested that the city of Mesquite inspect the property and grant us permission to rent it.

    - On December 2, the property is inspected and fails initial inspection. A small list of items is provided, and our team quickly dispatches and completes them. (This is where an additional locksmith item is noted).

    - On December 10, the property passes inspection, and we are given permission to occupy.

    - December 12th, you are notified by email that all work has been completed, including two city inspections. You were sent copies of both inspections. You were also notified at this time of the final balance and the need to replace the dishwasher, which would become a point of contention.

    This email notifies you that you have a negative portfolio balance that needs to be paid. It includes inspection repairs, items above and beyond the original estimate, and a new dishwasher.

    - On January 6, you visit the property and have a few minor questions, and are still not satisfied with being charged for a new dishwasher.

    - On January 19th, you are informed that we have a qualified resident who will be signing a two-year lease and occupying the property on February 19th. The conversation continues by email to January 22nd, where you email Annie, “Thank You Annie! You are the best :)

    - On February 11th, you were notified that your property had a resident preparing to move in, and you had continued to have an outstanding negative balance with our management company. You were also informed that one particular item, a dishwasher, still needed to be installed and approved by you before move-in.

    Monday, February 16

 - On February 16th, Annie reminds you that we need to install the dishwasher and address the negative portfolio balance.

    Later that day, you would speak with Annie and request an accounting and explanation of the portfolio balance, and express frustration over the dishwasher.

    At 4:24 PM, Annie provides a spreadsheet showing estimated costs, actual costs, and additional work required by the city. All of this information had been provided previously, but this time she put it in a spreadsheet format for you to see more clearly.

    At 6:30 PM, after business hours, you sent an email outlining your ongoing concerns, formally disputing that you owed any balance, and requesting a litany of items. You stated that if you did not receive an answer in 7 days, you would escalate the matter and seek regulatory remedies.

    At roughly 7:00 pm, you make your post on BP. We have not even had a chance to see your email, respond to your email, or put you in touch with Nate, who manages our customer service operations and oversees property management.

    Tuesday, February 17

    Nate spoke with you twice today and confirmed we’ll cover the cost of a new dishwasher, even though we’re not obligated to do so. Later, he sent the locksmith invoices, utility bills, and Mesquite lock code requirements you requested, and asked if you had any other questions. 

    We’ve communicated with you over 50 times since the property went vacant — always promptly and transparently. We gave you 51 days of flexibility while you decided next steps, waived our markup fee, and proactively warned you about expected delays/costs with the City of Mesquite.  Unfortunately, we had no opportunity to respond to your email before you posted on BP. 

    All of this could have been avoided. Instead, the thread left the impression that we let your property sit vacant since July with zero communication and random bills, which isn’t accurate, and it invited unwarranted criticism and speculation based on a very incomplete picture.  

    My sincere hope is that the new resident loves the home and service, and you have a long, uneventful ownership.  If you still feel you can find a better property management company, send us the notice, and we will be happy to work with you to transfer.

    • Greg ScottPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Chris Clothier:

      I’ve been contemplating exactly how to respond to this post. I genuinely appreciate that Srini has been pleasant on his calls with our team. So, I want to be respectful and not come off as petty. However, I had hoped that after our conversations, there would be another post updating a few factual errors or omissions from the history. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened, and now the thread is reaching a point where I have to respond. I mean, we’ve been called incompetent, accused of lacking transparency, and of treating clients poorly, and I have @Drew Sygit writing about us possibly hiding squatters, so I have to set the record straight.  

      I think it was Greg who used the two-word sentence above, Tough Love.  He was right, and this post is going to feel that way.  If you're going to post on BP, just be truthful.  Don't leave out facts, and don't let other posters run wild with their responses.  

      I am going to leave out personal details here and simply state that there were several extenuating circumstances on the OP's part that affected the timeline. We were always understanding, and, frankly, our team in Texas, who have been working on this, was surprised by the post and even more upset by the other posts.  

      To be clear, we have communicated with the OP 54 times since August 26, and while there have been questions, none of the interactions were ever negative.  

      Here is the scorecard with the deeper details below:



      ~ Property goes vacant August 26 (not July), with partial August rent paid

      ~ 51 days to receive owner approval to bring back to market


      ~ 30 days to complete renovations and request an inspection

      ~ 8 days to complete inspection, repairs, and receive clearance

      ~ 36 days to secure a qualified resident for 2 year lease with 2nd year increase

      ~ additional 30 days before move-in.

      These are not the best performance numbers we've posted on a property, but they're far from incompetent and likely closer to average (except for the approval time) at this point in the market.

      Here are the details and dates I reviewed from our team to see what is left out of the original post:

      - We have had 54 interactions, including emails and phone calls, since August 26th, including two calls yesterday with Nate Gray.   

      - Every request you have made of our team has received a response on the same day or within 24 hours.

      - Your resident voluntarily moved out by August 26th after only being able to pay partial rent for that month. Your property has not been vacant since July.

      - You were notified on August 26th that the property was secured and sent a move-out estimate of repairs and work needed, including current condition pictures. You were also informed that the resident would forfeit their deposit, and that the partial month of rent owed could be forwarded to a third-party collections agency, where you would receive 60% of any amounts collected.

      - On September 4th, you were sent the following email from our team setting proper expectations for what to expect with this particular move-out.

      “Dear Srini,

      I hope this message finds you well. As we prepare to fill the vacancy at your property, we wanted to take a moment to set expectations for the upcoming rental process.

      Please note that the city of Mesquite has recently implemented much stricter rental inspection guidelines for rental properties. As part of this, properties are increasingly requiring additional repairs or improvements to meet compliance standards before they can be rented out again. These inspections may involve more extensive repairs than in previous years, and additional repairs or upgrades may be needed to meet the city’s requirements.

      Given these changes, we may experience some delays in getting the property ready for new residents. Additionally, there could be additional repair costs associated with bringing the property up to current standards.

      While we will work diligently to manage this process and minimize any delays, we wanted to make sure you’re prepared for the possibility of extended vacancy and additional work that goes beyond the attached repair list.

      We will keep you informed on any additional repairs required to meet compliance standards.

      Thank you for your understanding, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.”

      - We speak and email multiple times over the next 6 weeks, but do not receive approval to move forward with repairs.

      - On October 17th, we finally have approval from you to move forward with repairs and payment. This is 51 days after being notified of your vacancy.  Again, you fail to explain that we waived any mark-ups on this project and completed all work at vendor cost, including the costs that we fronted for you. At this point, we are only fixing the property, and you are unsure if you will resell or rent.

      - On November 13th, we called and inquired about the rental process as we are completing repairs, and you informed us that you do want to rent the property.

      Just before Thanksgiving, we requested that the city of Mesquite inspect the property and grant us permission to rent it.

      - On December 2, the property is inspected and fails initial inspection. A small list of items is provided, and our team quickly dispatches and completes them. (This is where an additional locksmith item is noted).

      - On December 10, the property passes inspection, and we are given permission to occupy.

      - December 12th, you are notified by email that all work has been completed, including two city inspections. You were sent copies of both inspections. You were also notified at this time of the final balance and the need to replace the dishwasher, which would become a point of contention.

      This email notifies you that you have a negative portfolio balance that needs to be paid. It includes inspection repairs, items above and beyond the original estimate, and a new dishwasher.

      - On January 6, you visit the property and have a few minor questions, and are still not satisfied with being charged for a new dishwasher.

      - On January 19th, you are informed that we have a qualified resident who will be signing a two-year lease and occupying the property on February 19th. The conversation continues by email to January 22nd, where you email Annie, “Thank You Annie! You are the best :)

      - On February 11th, you were notified that your property had a resident preparing to move in, and you had continued to have an outstanding negative balance with our management company. You were also informed that one particular item, a dishwasher, still needed to be installed and approved by you before move-in.

      Monday, February 16

 - On February 16th, Annie reminds you that we need to install the dishwasher and address the negative portfolio balance.

      Later that day, you would speak with Annie and request an accounting and explanation of the portfolio balance, and express frustration over the dishwasher.

      At 4:24 PM, Annie provides a spreadsheet showing estimated costs, actual costs, and additional work required by the city. All of this information had been provided previously, but this time she put it in a spreadsheet format for you to see more clearly.

      At 6:30 PM, after business hours, you sent an email outlining your ongoing concerns, formally disputing that you owed any balance, and requesting a litany of items. You stated that if you did not receive an answer in 7 days, you would escalate the matter and seek regulatory remedies.

      At roughly 7:00 pm, you make your post on BP. We have not even had a chance to see your email, respond to your email, or put you in touch with Nate, who manages our customer service operations and oversees property management.

      Tuesday, February 17

      Nate spoke with you twice today and confirmed we’ll cover the cost of a new dishwasher, even though we’re not obligated to do so. Later, he sent the locksmith invoices, utility bills, and Mesquite lock code requirements you requested, and asked if you had any other questions. 

      We’ve communicated with you over 50 times since the property went vacant — always promptly and transparently. We gave you 51 days of flexibility while you decided next steps, waived our markup fee, and proactively warned you about expected delays/costs with the City of Mesquite.  Unfortunately, we had no opportunity to respond to your email before you posted on BP. 

      All of this could have been avoided. Instead, the thread left the impression that we let your property sit vacant since July with zero communication and random bills, which isn’t accurate, and it invited unwarranted criticism and speculation based on a very incomplete picture.  

      My sincere hope is that the new resident loves the home and service, and you have a long, uneventful ownership.  If you still feel you can find a better property management company, send us the notice, and we will be happy to work with you to transfer.


       Once again proving that there are two sides to every story.

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Chris Clothier:

      I’ve been contemplating exactly how to respond to this post. I genuinely appreciate that Srini has been pleasant on his calls with our team. So, I want to be respectful and not come off as petty. However, I had hoped that after our conversations, there would be another post updating a few factual errors or omissions from the history. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened, and now the thread is reaching a point where I have to respond. I mean, we’ve been called incompetent, accused of lacking transparency, and of treating clients poorly, and I have @Drew Sygit writing about us possibly hiding squatters, so I have to set the record straight.  

      I think it was Greg who used the two-word sentence above, Tough Love.  He was right, and this post is going to feel that way.  If you're going to post on BP, just be truthful.  Don't leave out facts, and don't let other posters run wild with their responses.  

      I am going to leave out personal details here and simply state that there were several extenuating circumstances on the OP's part that affected the timeline. We were always understanding, and, frankly, our team in Texas, who have been working on this, was surprised by the post and even more upset by the other posts.  

      To be clear, we have communicated with the OP 54 times since August 26, and while there have been questions, none of the interactions were ever negative.  

      Here is the scorecard with the deeper details below:



      ~ Property goes vacant August 26 (not July), with partial August rent paid

      ~ 51 days to receive owner approval to bring back to market


      ~ 30 days to complete renovations and request an inspection

      ~ 8 days to complete inspection, repairs, and receive clearance

      ~ 36 days to secure a qualified resident for 2 year lease with 2nd year increase

      ~ additional 30 days before move-in.

      These are not the best performance numbers we've posted on a property, but they're far from incompetent and likely closer to average (except for the approval time) at this point in the market.

      Here are the details and dates I reviewed from our team to see what is left out of the original post:

      - We have had 54 interactions, including emails and phone calls, since August 26th, including two calls yesterday with Nate Gray.   

      - Every request you have made of our team has received a response on the same day or within 24 hours.

      - Your resident voluntarily moved out by August 26th after only being able to pay partial rent for that month. Your property has not been vacant since July.

      - You were notified on August 26th that the property was secured and sent a move-out estimate of repairs and work needed, including current condition pictures. You were also informed that the resident would forfeit their deposit, and that the partial month of rent owed could be forwarded to a third-party collections agency, where you would receive 60% of any amounts collected.

      - On September 4th, you were sent the following email from our team setting proper expectations for what to expect with this particular move-out.

      “Dear Srini,

      I hope this message finds you well. As we prepare to fill the vacancy at your property, we wanted to take a moment to set expectations for the upcoming rental process.

      Please note that the city of Mesquite has recently implemented much stricter rental inspection guidelines for rental properties. As part of this, properties are increasingly requiring additional repairs or improvements to meet compliance standards before they can be rented out again. These inspections may involve more extensive repairs than in previous years, and additional repairs or upgrades may be needed to meet the city’s requirements.

      Given these changes, we may experience some delays in getting the property ready for new residents. Additionally, there could be additional repair costs associated with bringing the property up to current standards.

      While we will work diligently to manage this process and minimize any delays, we wanted to make sure you’re prepared for the possibility of extended vacancy and additional work that goes beyond the attached repair list.

      We will keep you informed on any additional repairs required to meet compliance standards.

      Thank you for your understanding, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.”

      - We speak and email multiple times over the next 6 weeks, but do not receive approval to move forward with repairs.

      - On October 17th, we finally have approval from you to move forward with repairs and payment. This is 51 days after being notified of your vacancy.  Again, you fail to explain that we waived any mark-ups on this project and completed all work at vendor cost, including the costs that we fronted for you. At this point, we are only fixing the property, and you are unsure if you will resell or rent.

      - On November 13th, we called and inquired about the rental process as we are completing repairs, and you informed us that you do want to rent the property.

      Just before Thanksgiving, we requested that the city of Mesquite inspect the property and grant us permission to rent it.

      - On December 2, the property is inspected and fails initial inspection. A small list of items is provided, and our team quickly dispatches and completes them. (This is where an additional locksmith item is noted).

      - On December 10, the property passes inspection, and we are given permission to occupy.

      - December 12th, you are notified by email that all work has been completed, including two city inspections. You were sent copies of both inspections. You were also notified at this time of the final balance and the need to replace the dishwasher, which would become a point of contention.

      This email notifies you that you have a negative portfolio balance that needs to be paid. It includes inspection repairs, items above and beyond the original estimate, and a new dishwasher.

      - On January 6, you visit the property and have a few minor questions, and are still not satisfied with being charged for a new dishwasher.

      - On January 19th, you are informed that we have a qualified resident who will be signing a two-year lease and occupying the property on February 19th. The conversation continues by email to January 22nd, where you email Annie, “Thank You Annie! You are the best :)

      - On February 11th, you were notified that your property had a resident preparing to move in, and you had continued to have an outstanding negative balance with our management company. You were also informed that one particular item, a dishwasher, still needed to be installed and approved by you before move-in.

      Monday, February 16

 - On February 16th, Annie reminds you that we need to install the dishwasher and address the negative portfolio balance.

      Later that day, you would speak with Annie and request an accounting and explanation of the portfolio balance, and express frustration over the dishwasher.

      At 4:24 PM, Annie provides a spreadsheet showing estimated costs, actual costs, and additional work required by the city. All of this information had been provided previously, but this time she put it in a spreadsheet format for you to see more clearly.

      At 6:30 PM, after business hours, you sent an email outlining your ongoing concerns, formally disputing that you owed any balance, and requesting a litany of items. You stated that if you did not receive an answer in 7 days, you would escalate the matter and seek regulatory remedies.

      At roughly 7:00 pm, you make your post on BP. We have not even had a chance to see your email, respond to your email, or put you in touch with Nate, who manages our customer service operations and oversees property management.

      Tuesday, February 17

      Nate spoke with you twice today and confirmed we’ll cover the cost of a new dishwasher, even though we’re not obligated to do so. Later, he sent the locksmith invoices, utility bills, and Mesquite lock code requirements you requested, and asked if you had any other questions. 

      We’ve communicated with you over 50 times since the property went vacant — always promptly and transparently. We gave you 51 days of flexibility while you decided next steps, waived our markup fee, and proactively warned you about expected delays/costs with the City of Mesquite.  Unfortunately, we had no opportunity to respond to your email before you posted on BP. 

      All of this could have been avoided. Instead, the thread left the impression that we let your property sit vacant since July with zero communication and random bills, which isn’t accurate, and it invited unwarranted criticism and speculation based on a very incomplete picture.  

      My sincere hope is that the new resident loves the home and service, and you have a long, uneventful ownership.  If you still feel you can find a better property management company, send us the notice, and we will be happy to work with you to transfer.


      Chris, SINCERE apologies as I didnt' realize REI Nation and PPMG are both under you.

      I thought REI Nation only referred PPMG.

      Again, my bad and apologies.

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Greg Scott - two sides, but only one set of facts.  Once I was ready to make my post yesterday, I wasn't bothered by either of your responses.  You were posting from what you were reading.  

    My hope for anyone reading this is that they remember there is a social contract among us when we post here on BP.  No one can give good advice or make an informed response when parts of the data are missing.  

    To be direct, I was no longer bothered by Srini's post.  I don't get to control how clients react or what they choose to say.  I control what I do, and if we are good owner/operators of our business, then our people are in control of what they do, and those actions are the ones we want.  So, in the end, the part that bothered me the most was that you guys were responding without realizing there were big gaps, and those gaps weren't getting corrected.  It would have led to better advice from everyone.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Srini Poosapati:

    Hi everyone — posting here hoping for guidance and visibility from REI Nation and others who may have worked with PPMG.

    I purchased a turnkey property through REI Nation in July 2023 (managed by PPMG of Texas). For roughly the first two years things were generally fine, with only one tenant turnover.

    Over time, however, the diligence and transparency from PPMG seems to have deteriorated significantly.

    Here’s the high-level timeline:

    • July 2023: Purchased property via REI Nation. Initial experience was positive.
    • 2023–mid 2025: Mostly smooth operations with one tenant turnover.
    • July 2025: Tenant broke lease. Property has been vacant since then. The tenant account was supposedly sent to collections, but I’ve had zero visibility into recovery progress, status updates, or any funds recovered.
    • Since vacancy, PPMG provided move-out repair estimates. I paid those.
    • Despite that, I’m now being told I still owe ~$2,100 additional, but PPMG has not provided vendor invoices or receipts — only internal accounting summaries with dollar amounts and brief descriptions.

    Some specific issues I’m struggling with:

    • I never receive actual third-party invoices — only line items like “plumbing,” “yard,” “cosmetic,” etc.
    • Locks were rekeyed three separate times against a single rekey estimate.
    • Yard “quick cuts” continued repeatedly even after the full move-out landscape cleanup was already charged.
    • Plumbing work was added even though there was no standalone plumbing budget in the original estimate.
    • Cosmetic repairs exceeded the quoted cosmetic budget, including countertop/backsplash work that was never in the estimate.
    • Utilities exceeded the estimate by several hundred dollars while the property sat vacant.
    • Multiple cleanings extended into January 2026.
    • A December email cited an additional $1,276 supposedly required for City of Mesquite inspection compliance — again with no inspection report or invoices.
    • Recent accounting shows what appear to be duplicated or fragmented charges across categories.

    Even after paying the original estimates, I’m now being asked for more money without basic documentation. That’s extremely frustrating as an owner.

    At this point:

    • The property has been vacant since July 2025.
    • I have no visibility into collections on the tenant.
    • I don’t receive vendor invoices.
    • Repair costs keep expanding after the fact.
    • I’m being asked for additional funds without substantiation.

    Overall, this experience has been disappointing and is making me seriously question whether to continue with PPMG. Unfortunately, it also leaves me with a negative impression around buying additional properties through REI Nation if this is the ongoing operational experience.

    I’m posting here to:

    1. See if other REI Nation / PPMG owners have had similar experiences.
    2. Ask REI Nation if someone can help intervene or provide oversight.
    3. Get guidance on how best to resolve this constructively.

    I’m not trying to attack anyone — I just want transparency, proper invoices, and accountability for how my funds are being spent.

    Appreciate any advice or help.

    Thank you.

     So, given the OTHER SIDE of the story from @Chris Clothier, waiting on your explanation about why you've misrepresented the facts in your post?

    Perhaps you shouldn't be a landlord and should just sell?

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Drew Sygit - no need to apologize. As I said above, you were responding to what you're reading.

    I was looking for a low-friction way to start my post, and I laughed when I read your response. Reiterating the few comments and how far they were from reality, given that they were based only on pieces and parts of the facts, seemed like the best way to start my post. So, I was not trying to embarrass you or anyone else who had responded, and I was not mad. 

    By the time I responded, I was so happy with our team and how precise and dialed-in our communications were that I wasn't upset with our client either. Maybe we are not the right fit for him and how he wants to interact. That is ok - it is his choice. And, I genuinely believed at that point that he wished he hadn't posted, so I just set the record straight.  

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    @Chris Clothier,

    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I genuinely appreciate it. The effort you put into laying out the timeline shows that you take your clients seriously, and I respect that.

    I was going to respond to Nate’s email privately, but I felt it’s appropriate to respond here and hopefully bring this discussion to a constructive close.

    As I mentioned in my original post: 
    “I’m not trying to attack anyone — I just want transparency, proper invoices, and accountability for how my funds are being spent.”

    That remains the core of my concern. I came here looking for guidance and perspective.

    It’s important to frame this within the larger context. I am a small, relatively inexperienced investor working with a much larger, established organization. Platforms like BiggerPockets exist precisely so smaller investors can ask questions and share experiences. Every company markets a “customer-first” approach, but you only truly understand that when challenges arise. In this instance, I do appreciate that you and your team have stepped in to address the situation directly.

    Regarding timelines, I understand the breakdown you provided. However, I believe it misses a broader point. The reason I chose turnkey investing was because I did not have the time or bandwidth to manage the operational details myself. I was looking for a reliable partner to handle that complexity on my behalf. When I suddenly found myself needing to analyze repair scopes, compliance details, vacancy timelines, and portfolio balances at a granular level, it felt like I was back in a fully hands-on role — which was the opposite of what I had intended.

    On vacancy: the last full rent deposited into my account was July 1st. The partial August rent was $230, while the utility bill for that same period was $285.56. I do acknowledge that there was a delay on my end in providing approval — largely due to personal circumstances and the sudden realization that significant out-of-pocket funds would be required while the property was already negatively cash-flowing due to continued mortgage payments. At that point, the economics of the investment were no longer clear to me, and I needed time to think through whether to continue renting or consider other options.

    Historically, my interactions with PPMG have been pleasant. I did not question maintenance items or request invoices previously because I operated in good faith and assumed transparency. The dishwasher situation is what ultimately caused me to pause.

    When I asked about it, I was initially told:

    “The dishwasher was originally included on the move-out repair list but was removed to help reduce the overall cost. Unfortunately, it could not be repaired and now needs to be replaced.”

    Upon further investigation, it turned out the dishwasher — which was brand new and invoiced to me in 2024 ($457 including installation) — had been mistakenly hauled away by the clean-out crew after being left in the garage by the tenant. The invoice for a new dishwasher was $750. That inconsistency led me to question other charges, especially since I did not have access to underlying vendor invoices to independently verify the costs being referenced.

    Even in Nate’s most recent follow-up, I received invoices for the lock rekeys and utilities, but not the full set of supporting documentation for all move-out repairs. That gap is what triggered my broader request for transparency.

    Regarding communication, I agree there were 54 interactions. However, quantity of communication should not be confused with quality of resolution. Many of those interactions included automated system updates (e.g., weekly rental meeting summaries). Annie has been consistently responsive and professional — I want to make that clear — but when the underlying issue feels unresolved, responsiveness alone can feel placative rather than corrective.

    That said, I truly appreciate that your team waived markup fees earlier and that you personally stepped in to address the dishwasher issue. That gesture matters. Scaling any business comes with operational complexity, and occasionally things fall through the cracks. I respect that you’re willing to engage directly when concerns arise.

    At the end of the day, numbers don’t lie. From a purely financial standpoint, the net P&L on this investment did not meet expectations. That’s a learning moment for me as an investor. I don’t view this as adversarial — I view it as part of understanding how these models perform in real life versus on paper. I also hope this thread can serve as constructive feedback rather than criticism.

    Thank you again to you and your team. I’m open to continuing the conversation offline if helpful, and I’m hopeful we can consider this matter resolved and bring the thread to a close.

    Respectfully,
    Srini

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Srini Poosapati:

      @Chris Clothier,

      Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I genuinely appreciate it. The effort you put into laying out the timeline shows that you take your clients seriously, and I respect that.

      I was going to respond to Nate’s email privately, but I felt it’s appropriate to respond here and hopefully bring this discussion to a constructive close.

      As I mentioned in my original post: 
      “I’m not trying to attack anyone — I just want transparency, proper invoices, and accountability for how my funds are being spent.”

      That remains the core of my concern. I came here looking for guidance and perspective.

      It’s important to frame this within the larger context. I am a small, relatively inexperienced investor working with a much larger, established organization. Platforms like BiggerPockets exist precisely so smaller investors can ask questions and share experiences. Every company markets a “customer-first” approach, but you only truly understand that when challenges arise. In this instance, I do appreciate that you and your team have stepped in to address the situation directly.

      Regarding timelines, I understand the breakdown you provided. However, I believe it misses a broader point. The reason I chose turnkey investing was because I did not have the time or bandwidth to manage the operational details myself. I was looking for a reliable partner to handle that complexity on my behalf. When I suddenly found myself needing to analyze repair scopes, compliance details, vacancy timelines, and portfolio balances at a granular level, it felt like I was back in a fully hands-on role — which was the opposite of what I had intended.

      On vacancy: the last full rent deposited into my account was July 1st. The partial August rent was $230, while the utility bill for that same period was $285.56. I do acknowledge that there was a delay on my end in providing approval — largely due to personal circumstances and the sudden realization that significant out-of-pocket funds would be required while the property was already negatively cash-flowing due to continued mortgage payments. At that point, the economics of the investment were no longer clear to me, and I needed time to think through whether to continue renting or consider other options.

      Historically, my interactions with PPMG have been pleasant. I did not question maintenance items or request invoices previously because I operated in good faith and assumed transparency. The dishwasher situation is what ultimately caused me to pause.

      When I asked about it, I was initially told:

      “The dishwasher was originally included on the move-out repair list but was removed to help reduce the overall cost. Unfortunately, it could not be repaired and now needs to be replaced.”

      Upon further investigation, it turned out the dishwasher — which was brand new and invoiced to me in 2024 ($457 including installation) — had been mistakenly hauled away by the clean-out crew after being left in the garage by the tenant. The invoice for a new dishwasher was $750. That inconsistency led me to question other charges, especially since I did not have access to underlying vendor invoices to independently verify the costs being referenced.

      Even in Nate’s most recent follow-up, I received invoices for the lock rekeys and utilities, but not the full set of supporting documentation for all move-out repairs. That gap is what triggered my broader request for transparency.

      Regarding communication, I agree there were 54 interactions. However, quantity of communication should not be confused with quality of resolution. Many of those interactions included automated system updates (e.g., weekly rental meeting summaries). Annie has been consistently responsive and professional — I want to make that clear — but when the underlying issue feels unresolved, responsiveness alone can feel placative rather than corrective.

      That said, I truly appreciate that your team waived markup fees earlier and that you personally stepped in to address the dishwasher issue. That gesture matters. Scaling any business comes with operational complexity, and occasionally things fall through the cracks. I respect that you’re willing to engage directly when concerns arise.

      At the end of the day, numbers don’t lie. From a purely financial standpoint, the net P&L on this investment did not meet expectations. That’s a learning moment for me as an investor. I don’t view this as adversarial — I view it as part of understanding how these models perform in real life versus on paper. I also hope this thread can serve as constructive feedback rather than criticism.

      Thank you again to you and your team. I’m open to continuing the conversation offline if helpful, and I’m hopeful we can consider this matter resolved and bring the thread to a close.

      Respectfully,
      Srini


       Kudos to you for responding as you have!

      Many times posters avoid accountability when their claims are proven inaccurate and "disappear".

      Owning rentals is rarely a passive investment. There are many posts/responses here on BiggerPockets from experienced investors extolling that.

      Hope it goes better for you in the future!

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    Thank you @Drew Sygit. Appreciate the support. Just a noob trying to learn from battle hardened folks like you :) 

    Do you have any advice for my situation? The current rent is less than the mortgage payment and it will take me a while to make up for the rehab costs alone. I know this is an absurd question and the answer is most probably "it depends"..but if this were your investment property what would you do?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo

    @Srini Poosapati tough question.

    All you can do is review what went wrong and what you can and cannot better control going forward.

    Then consider if this is really for you.

    One of my first purchases went from needing $5k in estimated repairs to a full gut and renovation, due to rotted floor joists found after purchase.

    It took over 4 years to recoup the rehab cost, but was a great money-maker that always rented quickly.

    Kept it for over 12 years.

    That's one of the facts that newbies are either misled about or choose to ignore - real estate is mostly a long-term investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.