Senior Living Fund

Senior Living Fund

Real Estate Agent · Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 6 votes

Hello,

Has anyone ever invested in Senior Living Fund I would like to and I just want to get some more information on this company. Thanks in advance guys. I am doing my homework as well and am tempted to jump.

2Reply
490 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 11 votes
10y

Hello,

I have actually invested in SLF I after doing my due diligence. If it helps, the way I went about it was the following:

0. I was researching the space and run into their website from google searching.

1. Emailed them to get their documents. Initially their PPM and after reading it I asked for the Underwriting process doc, The Operating agreement and Subscription agreement which had more details and legal bindings.

2. I reviewed the docs together with a friend/advisor who had more experience than me in private equity investments.

3. I went through 4-5 rounds of questions about all I had read directly to the fund manager, Dan Brewer (I believe he is a BP member). This probably lasted 2 weeks. Depending on the complexity of the questions he'd either email me straight back or call me on the phone.

4. I asked for references and Dan gave me two names of people who'd invested with him in the past. I talked to one of them over the phone and heard their story and whether they trusted Dan and how he treated them. I had a detailed enough conversation that I didn't pursue the 2nd reference.

5. From steps 2, 3 and 4 I got satisfactory answers that addressed my concerns.

6. Dan Brewer was planning a visit to the Bay Area where I live and even though I had made up my mind to invest at that point and was done with paperwork, it didn't hurt that we met in person. We went over the details of how he runs his organization, what his investment vision is for the future regarding the senior living space etc.

My advise is if you read the paperwork and you're serious about investing, try to schedule a time to talk to Dan over the phone and raise any concerns you might have.

Hope this helps,

Nikos

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y
    I have been investing with Senior Living Fund for a number of years now and have a significant amount of capital with them.  I purchased investments in SLF I, SLF II, SLF Opportunity Fund I, SLF V and a number of Fixed Income Fund bonds.  I did a significant amount of research before investing with them and Dan was extremely helpful.  He provided references and I spoke to each of the three folks that he provided.  They were all very positive about their experiences with Dan.  One of the investors did tell me that he ran into a problem and the the preferred payments stopped on his investment.  This was addressed and he not only got all of his investment capital back, but also all remaining payments.  Based on the problem that occurred he was extremely happy with the outcome, it ultimately just took a little longer for the investment to close.  I personally was impressed with Dan and the whole SLF concept.  My experience has been good overall and I plan to continue investing with them.  The folks that I work with at SLF are a pleasure to deal with and go out of their way to be helpful.  I am not saying that everything always goes exactly as expected, there have been problems along the way, but they are a great bunch to work with.  The lateness of the K1s, which is really not the fault of SLF, requires filing an extension each year, not really a big deal.  If you owe tax, make sure to estimate the amount and get it paid on time, as the extension does not allow for late payment.  I can say I was recently surprised when two properties in SLF I were recently divested because of problems with the operator(s).  I am still waiting to understand exactly what happened and am curious if the same operator was involved in both instances.  SLF did negotiate equity in a new property to be located in FL, as a part of the divestiture.  I would like more detail about what happened, as the previous quarterly update did not indicate that there was any issue and I find that to be of concern when two properties were involved (a significant percentage of the total dollars invested).  Other  than that, my experience has been very positive.  SLF OF I, took a little longer to close than expected, but did return the promised 16% return, which was a good return even after taxes.  SLF I is winding down and returning capital as Dan stated above.  SLF II is also winding down and currently returning capital.  I only just started buying bonds, but the first expected payment was deposited on time and as expected.  I would highly recommend them to anyone serious about an alternative investment in an area that has need that continues to grow.  Just remember that any real estate investment involves risk, albeit the risk is low given the investments are backed by actual property.  My overall experience has been excellent to date.
  • Investor · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2010 · 151 posts · 128 votes
    6y

    Thanks for all the info @James Dickmann.  It seems you've answered many questions related to SLF including some that I had.  Will be doing some research on them.

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @James Dickmann Thanks for sharing your experience!  Seeing senior living fund seems to be recession proof, are your SLF investments affected by the pandemic at all? Appreciate any feedback you could give.  

    Fe H.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hello, sorry for the delay in replying, this time of year is very busy for me. I can state that my investments in SLF I and SLF II have been affected. Both are behind schedule to close and that is due to delays specifically caused by COVID-19. SLF has communicated that it is their intent to close SLF II this year, but that is not guaranteed. The expectation is that SLF I will close next year, and at the moment the information that has been provided is that is the mark that they are still working to hit. I also own SLF V, which is newer and at this point I don't believe has been affected. I have been building my investments up in the SLF Fixed Income Fund I (bond fund), because dealing with the K1 investments in a IRA account is beyond my comprehension and results in great difficulty (I still have to deal with three when they close). The bond fund works far better for me because I'm using IRA funds, this likely would not be the case otherwise. SLF did send out a new document related to the bond fund and the additional risks resulting from COVID-19. Nothing that was really all that surprising and I believe the investments are still very solid. Currently I find the money I have invested in the stock market to be of much more of a concern. I hope you find this information helpful

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    5 Years later on, how did you make out.  I am considering SLF fund 6...

    Thanks

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Lawrence H Baxter 

    I have invested in several funds in the Senior Living Fund beginning in 2015. I purchased SLF I, SLF IV, and SLF FIF I. All of these investments have proved very satisfactory terms of generating monthly income. I anticipate similar results on the anticipated payout when the Senior Living properties are sold. Equally important is the relationship that I have had with the very professional and responsive staff at the Fund. My questions are always answered in a timely and satisfactory manner. In fact, it’s a pleasure to talk to the staff! I feel the company is honest and very knowledgeable about the investment strategy. I’m glad I invested my money with them. In that regard, I found the Fund through an ad on the internet! It has met my expectations and I’m sure will continue to do so. Thank you,
    Roslyn B Needle

    Rockville, MD

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hello, 

    I was wondering if there's any recent updates from any investor regarding Senior Living Fund.

    Thank  you.

    Claudiu

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    is the interest return for the slf decatur 1031 dollar for dollar or is this by share? I have no connection with any company. no relationship

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    are we getting monthly interest as if its interest on cash or is this by shares?

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Fred Tanner:

    I invested in SLF 1 which terminated June 2019.  Interest was good 8% and paid on time.  Now instead of returning my capital in a lump sum they want to return it in monthly payments similar to what I was getting in interest over 24 months and not pay any interest.  Where can I complain about this??


  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Claudiu V Pavel:

    Hello, 

    I was wondering if there's any recent updates from any investor regarding Senior Living Fund.

    Thank  you.

    Claudiu


     Hi,

    I am answering my own question :) 

    After doing more research and spoke with Dan, eventually we did invest in Senior Living Fund and it turn one to be one of the best investments, every payment arrives promptly on the 15th and every question we had was  answered without delay. I'm considering adding another investment by the end of this month.

    Thanks

    Claudiu

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael LaBarbera:

    Why are there so few reviews about Senior Living (Fund)?  I have researched the internet and cannot find much.  Hard to believe since the company has existed for at least several years.  Is there anybody else who has invested in this Fund that could comment?  


  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan Brewer:

    Fred Tanner has a misunderstanding of his investment.   Fred invested in one of our funds 3 years ago.   The fund is an equity fund designed for investing in the construction and operations of senior housing communities.  From the beginning of construction to the ultimate sale or refinance of a senior housing community typically takes 4 to 5 years.  The fund will invest in several such communities over a 1-2 year period, Therefore the fund life is estimated at 5-6 years.  The fund pays "preferred returns" (not interest) for the first 48 months of the fund's life, which was reached in June, 2019.  Thereafter, the fund begins it "wind-down" period, whereby the investor's capital is returned, along with the investor's share of profits earned based on the investor's ownership in the fund.  This wind-down period is estimated at two years, and is dependent on the maturity (sale or refinance) of each senior housing community in which the fund invests.  In summary, the fund is performed exactly as is described in the fund PPM and related investment documents.

    From the date Fred registered with Senior Living Fund, until the time he invested, approximately three months elapsed.  During that period, there were numerous email exchanges with Fred, as well as a direct phone conversation with me and also our investor relations personnel.  Fred was provided with all the necessary investment documents, as well as our FAQs.  These documents, and particularly the PPM and the FAQs, directly discuss the function of the fund and the distribution process, as I have summarized in this response.   Regardless, its clear Fred at present does not remember the merits of his investment in the fund.   Prior to Fred's posting, we had several conversations with Fred, and I had a followup conversation.  I am working with Fred to address his concerns.   


    Dan Brewer is charming and very convincing. PLEASE be aware!

    I am certain their are paid teviews and the negative are filtred out.

    This company pads their pockets by living extravagant lifestyles to include fancy homes, vacations,  new state of the art office on your dollar. They are taking advantage of their investors. After over a million dollars with the finest attorneys, they were able to get The FCC to drop there investigation. Just do some background on Dan Brewer. You will find just how reckless he has been with not only his own investments but others. He lost all his real estate previously. Do yourself a favor and do NOT get robbed by this company PLEASE!

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I found this to be very offensive only to think that I would take money to write a positive review!!! My review is based on facts that happened to me and investment with S.L.F. Perhaps is better to include facts, like website address or newspaper when criticizing someone.

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Also, Dan B. mention to me about his bankruptcy first time we spoke on the phone.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kathlene B. Bell:
    Quote from @Michael LaBarbera:

    Why are there so few reviews about Senior Living (Fund)?  I have researched the internet and cannot find much.  Hard to believe since the company has existed for at least several years.  Is there anybody else who has invested in this Fund that could comment?  





    I made a post about Dan Brewer/Senior Living Fund on October 5th. I was quite upset that day for reasons unrelated to Dan or Senior Living Fund. I apologize for my comments, which were not factual. I believe Dan is a man of integrity and very knowledgeable. This is a very reputable business.
  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Randall Richie:

    is the interest return for the slf decatur 1031 dollar for dollar or is this by share? I have no connection with any company. no relationship


     Did you invest in Countryside Lakes? Looking to speak with with other investors. 

  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Kathlene B. Bell:
    Quote from @Michael LaBarbera:

    Why are there so few reviews about Senior Living (Fund)?  I have researched the internet and cannot find much.  Hard to believe since the company has existed for at least several years.  Is there anybody else who has invested in this Fund that could comment?  



  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I am looking to connect with other investors in Senior Living Fund. I have a few questions about the information or lack of that we are receiving as it relates to the investments during Covid. Anyone else having the same experience?

  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @CJ Wallace:

    Hello,

    Has anyone ever invested in Senior Living Fund I would like to and I just want to get some more information on this company. Thanks in advance guys. I am doing my homework as well and am tempted to jump.

    Looking to talk with someone else about their experience investing with Senior Living Fund. 

    @CJ Wallaceundefined

  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Kathlene B. Bell:
    Quote from @Kathlene B. Bell:
    Quote from @Michael LaBarbera:

    Why are there so few reviews about Senior Living (Fund)?  I have researched the internet and cannot find much.  Hard to believe since the company has existed for at least several years.  Is there anybody else who has invested in this Fund that could comment?  

    Looking to talk to someone else about their experience with Senior Living Fund. 



    I made a post about Dan Brewer/Senior Living Fund on October 5th. I was quite upset that day for reasons unrelated to Dan or Senior Living Fund. I apologize for my comments, which were not factual. I believe Dan is a man of integrity and very knowledgeable. This is a very reputable business.

  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    I invested in SLF 1 which was set to mature on June 1, 2023. They have not returned capital and will not tell me when I can expect it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Where can I complain about this??


  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Same experience with us. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.