Smartland in Ohio, and a month for a tenant turnover

Smartland in Ohio, and a month for a tenant turnover

Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 11 votes

Hello,

Last year we bought our first investment property with Smartland based out of Cleveland Ohio. The purchase process was a good-responsive sales team and all fixes we requested after home inspection were addressed. They immediately placed a good tenant in the property and we had a strong performing asset for 12 months. Fast forward to Aug of 19' the tenant needs to leave the unit and this is where the problems start:

Sept 4th: We reached out for an update and are told it was a high turnover month but we would see a move-out report soon.

Sept 11th: We receive the move-out report- some works need to be done (including extermination) but this unit seems to be in relatively good shape.

Sept 21st: I reach out for an update and am told final cleaning is finishing up and property should be marketed shortly.

Sept 24th: I'm told it should be ready by the end of the week.

Sept 27th: follow-up from "Investor Relations" almost cleaned property to be listed ASAP.

Sept 30th I send an email and am told "the last thing we want to do is list a property before it is ready..." we agree, but why is this taking so long? As of Oct 2nd the property still does not appear to be on the market.

So, looking for feedback from the community--is this what to expect with turnkey solutions? I get that it may take a couple of months to get the apartment rented but I sense a lack of urgency to get the unit listed. Looking at Smartland's website it looks like they are moving to larger projects/different types of investments. Is it time to move on to another mgmt team?

We’ll keep this thread going to document our experience moving trough the leasing experience

Thanks!

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y

turn over is generally a 2 month process in most areas.. start to finish with 90 days not being out of the question if your putting the unit into the market in the 4th quarter.. 

however I have to say this is the first post I have personally seen regarding Smartland that anyone had any issues with that company.. and not saying you have issues.. as turn overs take some time. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Lara Chinarro. It’s hard to say exactly without knowing what work was needed. If it’s just flooring and paint, clean out sort of deal, I’d say that’s 2-3 weeks being conservative.

    You’re going to have this problem long distance on a lot of stuff. When I owned in Cleveland turnover took about a month but that included finding the new tenant

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I say tomato

    You say tomotto

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth,

    Thanks for your response. The turnover included cleaning and extermination (it seems there were flies). No paint, no flooring. This is why I think it took way over a reasonable time.

    Sadly, we are far from finding a new tenant. The property has just been listed a few hours ago. No tenant on sight, since it has not been advertised or marketed in any way. On Zillow, yesterday it was listed as "not available". Let's see how long it takes to find a tenant now!

    Lara

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    turn over is generally a 2 month process in most areas.. start to finish with 90 days not being out of the question if your putting the unit into the market in the 4th quarter.. 

    however I have to say this is the first post I have personally seen regarding Smartland that anyone had any issues with that company.. and not saying you have issues.. as turn overs take some time. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lara Chinarro:

    @Caleb Heimsoth,

    Thanks for your response. The turnover included cleaning and extermination (it seems there were flies). No paint, no flooring. This is why I think it took way over a reasonable time.

    Sadly, we are far from finding a new tenant. The property has just been listed a few hours ago. No tenant on sight, since it has not been advertised or marketed in any way. On Zillow, yesterday it was listed as "not available". Let's see how long it takes to find a tenant now!

    Lara

    How much did that all cost?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    I don’t think that’s an unreasonable timeframe. From what you’re describing it doesn’t sounds like a ton of time needed to go into it to be rent ready, but keep in mind that most turnovers are never as simple as they seem. Handymen are in short supply and things just take time, especially if you’re not a high volume client. Some people investing out here would consider you lucky that your pm even calls you back within a week! 

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thanks everyone for your inputs. It is great to have this community to reach out to when we have questions. We will update when a tenant is in place and discuss the full process.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Lara Chinarro I prelease all of my properties and build a 6-day turnover buffer into my leases. I try to have a 0 vacancy rate. I get my cleaner in there the day after they move out and make sure everything is good to go.

    Vacancies kill your ROI

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Remington Lyman:

    @Lara Chinarro I prelease all of my properties and build a 6-day turnover buffer into my leases. I try to have a 0 vacancy rate. I get my cleaner in there the day after they move out and make sure everything is good to go.

    Vacancies kill your ROI

    one of the benefits of self management you have control of these issues. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs I have control of my client's properties as well. It is great to have a good PM!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Lara Chinarro did u get a new tenant?

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Hi @Account Closed

    We have received a new lease and the tenant is scheduled to move in next Monday. Hopefully, we won't have any more bumps

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.