Real Estate Market in Greenville NC

Real Estate Market in Greenville NC

Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes

Is Greenville NC a market no one is looking at?

Greenville NC is home to a population of about 88,000 people. Growing annually at about 0.34% nothing exciting there. In the past two years Greenville has seen some massive investment projects from Thermo Fischer Scientific, and Grover Gaming, investing a combined total of $665,000,000 creating 790 jobs in the last 2 years in the Greenville area. Those are good indicators of Greenville being a potential science/tech hub in NC. 

Greenville is about 51% renters in the market, with roughly 31% of the housing in the market being MFHs. This signals a potential opportunity for MFH investors in NC. The poverty rate in Greenville is between 22-31%, which is quite high, meaning affordable housing is something that is needed in the area. There is also a large student base in Greenville due to ECU and other 2 year universities in the area. 

Median Home Price is right under $300k, with most listings in the $275k area. Average homes are moving in about 12 days at ask, and hot homes are seeing a 4 day on market time, and getting around 3% over ask on average. The inventory is roughly a 3.3 month supply, which is up over last year. Still quite tight, so multiple offers are still be received. Sales are down about 25%, so there's inventory and not as much movement. 

I think a lot of investors have walked away from Greenville. But why?

The Cost of Living (CoL) puts Greenville in the top 23% of most expensive cities to live, which comparatively in NC makes it 41/50 most expensive, meaning in NC, it's rather cheap. So the CoL is low, large companies are expanding locally, there is a steady stream of students, but a large impoverished population. The crime index is an 11 (out of 100, 100 being the safest) which is not a great look, but violent crimes aren't the cause, mostly property theft and damages. Which is a trend you typically see with more impoverished areas. 

None of these are screaming "run". 

I think Greenville has fallen off the map for a lot of people, it appears to me there is still a great opportunity in this area. Prices are cheap, there are tons of renters, lots of students, and jobs going to Greenville. Greenville NC, has a stigma due to ECU being considered the "Party" College of NC outside of App State, so this may deter some of the people who like renting to students, because they tend to be a bit more unruly than other schools in NC. This is something that can be overcome with good property management, and shouldn't be a make or break. 

Greenville NC is East from Raleigh, on the way to the beach, and sports some of the more active night life of NC. There is a great opportunity for potential rental strategies. As always with STRs make sure to check local ordinances, AirDNA and I'd recommend trying to get an STR that can cash flow as effectively as an LTR, bit more of a challenge, but price points in the area can really make a difference. It's not a super active market at this time, and I think that could change with a group of savvy investors heading to Greenville.

The way I see it, it's currently pretty untapped, no one's really got it on their radar, and you can't even find other Market Data Posts on Greenville NC on BP, meaning this community isn't thinking about it as much either. Not to mention the bulk of other related forum posts to Greenville are months old in most cases.

Do your due diligence, but if you think there is an opportunity here, please give me some feedback, and I'd love to connect. As always looking for an additional feedback, and information that can be valuable to this post. It's impossible to know everything, so if someone has differing, or similar information to add please do!

Here's the links for extra reading and sources.

https://businessfacilities.com...

https://www.areadevelopment.co...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...

https://www.redfin.com/city/71...

http://www.homeinfogreenville....

https://worldpopulationreview....

https://www.census.gov/quickfa...

https://livingcost.org/cost/un...

https://www.neighborhoodscout....

https://censusreporter.org/pro...

https://www.franklin.edu/colle...

5Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Pat LulewiczBusiness Member
Realtor · Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 392 votes
3y

Definitely a great cash flow play in Greenville, but its a speculative appreciation play and that can deter a lot of LT investors who want to be able to compound their money. I invested in a similar tertiary town in IL, when I lived there, which was primarily students and blue-collar manufacturing. Saw almost no appreciation in 4 years (granted that's a small timeline to play over) but steady cash flow. Had both types of tenants - students and blue-collar. At the end of the day, everyone just wants a solid and safe home, to have any immediate maintenance handled timely, and be left alone. To a point made, proper screening will take care of a lot of issues. I think these are phenomenal base-hits with the right hand-holding to know which street/neighborhood will be appropriate for a low-touch investment.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jewel B.Pro Member
    New to Real Estate · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2021 · 352 posts · 120 votes
    3y

    My favorite notifications to get. 

    Jared, is there a correlation between the student population and the poverty rate? If it's a college town and most of the student body is either not working or working low paying or part time jobs and they're counted in the poverty rates, wouldn't that inflate the %? As opposed to it being a depressed area per se (such as gangs or meth/heroin addiction being the main contributor).

    There also measures to take against the party population, beyond regular due diligence in tenant screening, such as using parents as guarantors or renting only to upperclassmen and post-grads.

    I think it's also important to note that ECU has medical and dental schools, a top rated graduate program, and the ECU Health Medical Center, including a main hospital, emergency department, and children's hospitals. This is another group of students and residents that would make for safe choices in renting in terms of a decreased likelihood of being partiers or destructive and an increased probability that they are focused on their career and studies and will be responsible tenants who spend all their time with their nose in a book.

    It may also have potential for MTRs for traveling nurses or other medical professionals or researchers, though there does only appear to be that one hospital system there due to the relatively small population.

    Thoughts?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    @Jared Trindade

    I lived there for a few years. I don’t think the students are the reason for the poverty rate. There are some multifamily homes there for sale that look like an outstanding deal but there’s a reason they sit on the market with boarded up windows. I think it would be a great area to invest if you lived there and could keep a close eye on it or knew the up and coming areas from the ones that will probably stay the way they are forever. Sorry in advance for the pessimism

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian S.:

    @Jared Trindade

    I lived there for a few years. I don’t think the students are the reason for the poverty rate. There are some multifamily homes there for sale that look like an outstanding deal but there’s a reason they sit on the market with boarded up windows. I think it would be a great area to invest if you lived there and could keep a close eye on it or knew the up and coming areas from the ones that will probably stay the way they are forever. Sorry in advance for the pessimism

    I wasn't trying to say that the student are the cause of a higher poverty rate, however I do agree a lot with what you are saying. Realistically in the long term though, we will likely see Greenville grow, NC has been slowly revamping all the major cities, I think Greenville will have it's time, when is the question!
  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jewel B.:

    My favorite notifications to get. 

    Jared, is there a correlation between the student population and the poverty rate? If it's a college town and most of the student body is either not working or working low paying or part time jobs and they're counted in the poverty rates, wouldn't that inflate the %? As opposed to it being a depressed area per se (such as gangs or meth/heroin addiction being the main contributor).

    There also measures to take against the party population, beyond regular due diligence in tenant screening, such as using parents as guarantors or renting only to upperclassmen and post-grads.

    I think it's also important to note that ECU has medical and dental schools, a top rated graduate program, and the ECU Health Medical Center, including a main hospital, emergency department, and children's hospitals. This is another group of students and residents that would make for safe choices in renting in terms of a decreased likelihood of being partiers or destructive and an increased probability that they are focused on their career and studies and will be responsible tenants who spend all their time with their nose in a book.

    It may also have potential for MTRs for traveling nurses or other medical professionals or researchers, though there does only appear to be that one hospital system there due to the relatively small population.

    Thoughts?

    I don't think there is much of a correlation in Poverty rate and students, Greenville NC is just not the great of an area in NC, but there is future potential. I think someone with the right mindset, skillset, and goals can go into Greenville and find a way to make good profits. The same can be said for pretty much every market though, it just comes down to the numbers, management, and skills. 

    If there is a high poverty rate, looks to me like I wouldn't need to invest into anything fancy to get started, and likely can find a tenant for a fair rent. As long as I have a solid property management company, I shouldn't have to worry much about issues with the tenants. If I am managing it directly, then making sure I screen tenants and find a decent location is key. 
    Hope that helps!
  • USA · Member since 2022 · 879 posts · 109 votes
    3y

    Look up Awning, they have an Airbnb Estimator and an investor focused STR brokerage that's highly rated in NC.

  • Pat LulewiczBusiness Member
    Realtor · Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 392 votes
    3y

    Definitely a great cash flow play in Greenville, but its a speculative appreciation play and that can deter a lot of LT investors who want to be able to compound their money. I invested in a similar tertiary town in IL, when I lived there, which was primarily students and blue-collar manufacturing. Saw almost no appreciation in 4 years (granted that's a small timeline to play over) but steady cash flow. Had both types of tenants - students and blue-collar. At the end of the day, everyone just wants a solid and safe home, to have any immediate maintenance handled timely, and be left alone. To a point made, proper screening will take care of a lot of issues. I think these are phenomenal base-hits with the right hand-holding to know which street/neighborhood will be appropriate for a low-touch investment.

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Cheap properties and a high poverty rate are good reasons to “run away.” High maintenance and high vacancy……

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Pat Lulewicz:

    Definitely a great cash flow play in Greenville, but its a speculative appreciation play and that can deter a lot of LT investors who want to be able to compound their money. I invested in a similar tertiary town in IL, when I lived there, which was primarily students and blue-collar manufacturing. Saw almost no appreciation in 4 years (granted that's a small timeline to play over) but steady cash flow. Had both types of tenants - students and blue-collar. At the end of the day, everyone just wants a solid and safe home, to have any immediate maintenance handled timely, and be left alone. To a point made, proper screening will take care of a lot of issues. I think these are phenomenal base-hits with the right hand-holding to know which street/neighborhood will be appropriate for a low-touch investment.


     I appreciate your post, and I agree with your take away. It's quite clear Greenville is not the hot spot market that is going to give the same consistent returns that another city may. I think it would be unwise to say that a good buck couldn't be made in Greenville with the right approach and systems in place. 

    Thanks again for the feedback!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

    Cheap properties and a high poverty rate are good reasons to “run away.” High maintenance and high vacancy……

    Thank you for offering that opinion! 
    I am not disagreeing with you, however that same thing can be said for certain areas of every city in the world. The overall feel of the city is what you may find more remote in other areas of NC, but that doesn't mean there's absolutely zero valuable investment opportunities here. I don't think by any means Greenville should be sprinted into with no regard for risk, but it doesn't mean in 10-20-30 years from now the people who bought a property now, fixed, help, rented, and paid it off, may find themselves in a good appreciation situation. Speculative of course, but running away from an area leaves the savvy investor the opportunities. 

    The numbers work, or they don't. Math, Management, and Local Laws dictate of lot of profitability in investments. 

  • Bobby FeinmanBusiness Member
    Lender · VA Beach, VA · Member since 2019 · 917 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    @Jared Trindade

    Great post except you didn't mention Grady White Boats lol! I live "up the road" in VA Beach and I agree that Greenville offers lots of opportunity, especially for landlords! I also am fond of Fayetteville and am doing a lot of business there currently!

    Bobby

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bobby Feinman:

    @Jared Trindade

    Great post except you didn't mention Grady White Boats lol! I live "up the road" in VA Beach and I agree that Greenville offers lots of opportunity, especially for landlords! I also am fond of Fayetteville and am doing a lot of business there currently!

    Bobby

    Haha, thank you Bobby! I appreciate your input!

    I currently live in Fayetteville, if you're doing business down here I'd love to connect to see if we could be resources for each other!
  • Bobby FeinmanBusiness Member
    Lender · VA Beach, VA · Member since 2019 · 917 posts · 91 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:
    Quote from @Bobby Feinman:

    @Jared Trindade

    Great post except you didn't mention Grady White Boats lol! I live "up the road" in VA Beach and I agree that Greenville offers lots of opportunity, especially for landlords! I also am fond of Fayetteville and am doing a lot of business there currently!

    Bobby

    Haha, thank you Bobby! I appreciate your input!

    I currently live in Fayetteville, if you're doing business down here I'd love to connect to see if we could be resources for each other!

     ABSOLUTELY! I will reach out shortly

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Class D properties require an owner to be very hands on locally to make them succeed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.