Narrowing Down Target Market/Establishing Search Criteria in Baltimore

Narrowing Down Target Market/Establishing Search Criteria in Baltimore

Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 14 votes

I own my primary in DC, have a rental in Upper Fells and have recently started my search to expand my portfolio. My target total purchase price is 175k-200k, and I am hoping to buy a relatively turnkey place that will cash flow with some modest appreciation as a LTR. (Although I am a bit more interested in cash flow at this point.)

I am told in my price range this would be difficult to do in Baltimore City, at least in a neighborhood that is less risky/has some appreciation potential/is desirable to tenants. Questions: 

-I am looking at Patterson Park area, Upper Fells, Highland town. Is it possible to buy relatively turnkey property in the 175k-200k range that is worth buying? Are there other neighborhoods I should be considering?

-I’m trying to establish criteria for a “good property” is. For example, I am told a two-bedroom is not desirable. I’m not sure this is true, but is there anything else I should keep in mind that I should consider a deal breaker- like a minimum square footage, lack of parking pad etc.

-I’m also considering Dundalk area. Is there sufficient rental demand there? According to one source there appears to be very little appreciation there; can anyone confirm? If anyone is familiar with Dundalk and would be willing to chat I’d appreciate it.

    1Reply
    19 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 107 posts · 129 votes
    3y

    Alyssa Yumi Nelson  I see 14 properties in that general area in 150-200k range.  6 of them are south of Orleans St.   I like this area as well.  Let me know if you'd like to chat  :)

    See this reply in the discussion

    10 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Nicholas L.Pro Member
      Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      3y

      @Melissa Wilson

      I don't know the Baltimore market - my one rental in the DMV is in Arlington - but I'd try to find and attend some REIA meetings near where you're targeting (if you're not already). Good luck!

    • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
      3y

      Stay above the $200k price point neighborhoods, or youll probably end up having issues. 

    • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
      3y

      You can get a turnkey around that unless you want top the bottom renovation, you just need to know Baltimore little better. 

      It is not consist of fells, canton and around.

      I do help good amount investors to buy around 150-230 price range, lover the price more renovation needed.

      But if you goal is modest so you can easily be in a okay area with good tenants.

      If you want to discuss more let me know

    • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 14 votes
      3y

      @Ozzy Sirimsi will send you a PM, thanks.

    • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 107 posts · 129 votes
      3y

      Alyssa Yumi Nelson  I see 14 properties in that general area in 150-200k range.  6 of them are south of Orleans St.   I like this area as well.  Let me know if you'd like to chat  :)

    • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      3y

      I personally target properties in the $175-225k range so I think you're on track and shouldn't have much trouble in Baltimore (or Dundalk!). In addition to the neighborhoods you mentioned I would check out the Northwood area. Happy to chat more if you want to shoot me a PM!

    • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      3y

      Dundalk is a great market, in my opinion, for LTR due to its proximity to the city while still being zoned for the county. I have an LTR there. I definitely think you can find something for 175k-200k in that area that's in decent condition!

    • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 14 votes
      3y

      Thanks @Erin Dorsch ! I decided I'm going to try and making house hacking in DC work, but I am still considering Baltimore for the future so may take you up on your offer then :) 

    • Eric FernwoodBusiness Member
      Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 995 posts · 1k+ votes
      3y

      Hello @Melissa Wilson,

      You asked about a criteria for a good investment property. While every location is different, below are my criteria.

      The property:

      • Has an acceptable initial return.
      • Has a short time to rent. If the average time to rent in the general area is two months and similar properties to what you were considering rented in one month, that is a positive indicator.
      • The average tenant stays for many years (for similar properties).
      • There are no rental restrictions; you have the ability to select good tenants and remove non-performing tenants in a timely and cost-effective manner.
      • Has low maintenance costs - this is a function of the condition of the property, construction, climate, tenant segment that the property attracts, and the skill of the property manager.
      • Between 2013 and through 2020, rents and prices in the location increased faster than inflation. I chose this time so that it was not impacted by COVID.
      • Renovation costs are reasonable and low risk.
      • The property and tenant will not be bothered by some local annoyance. For example, traffic noise, adjacent to a freeway, near a industrial plant, etc.
      • Low overhead costs - The most apparent costs are HOA, insurance, and property taxes. Overhead costs make a huge difference when it comes to net income. To show the impact, I compared property taxes and insurance costs between Nevada, Texas, and Florida. See the table below.
      • To show the impact of taxes and insurance, I compared overhead costs on a $400,000 property in the three states. (Remember that these are state averages, and individual cities may impose additional taxes.)

      Alyssa, I hope this helps.

      FERNWOOD Team, KW VIP Realty520 Reviews
    • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 14 votes
      3y

      @Eric Fernwood Thank you for this thoughtful response, very helpful!

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.