Should I sell my single family home in Austin?

Should I sell my single family home in Austin?

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello, 

I have a good interest rate at 2.875% and have tenants, I'm cutting even with expenses. If I sell I would be able to get what I bought it for. Overall my portfolio is too real estate heavy, I have more than 50% of my assets in real estate and I just generally think that's not such a great idea. I'm thinking I should sell and reserve those funds for investments in stocks or even gold or a small business I can buy. What do you guys think? What are the trends showing in the 78747 area? 

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan KellyBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

@Adriana Siu real estate is a long term hold, not a trade in my opinion. Your big advantage in the early years is tax depreciation and mortgage pay down. Higher cash flow comes in later years as rents in tge market go up and you benefit from your low interest rate. There are a lot of costs to sell and I would argue you’re in a good position to hold for the long haul. The rent declines in the market are temporary until the new supply gets absorbed and demand picks back up.

Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5112 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Adriana Siu real estate is a long term hold, not a trade in my opinion. Your big advantage in the early years is tax depreciation and mortgage pay down. Higher cash flow comes in later years as rents in tge market go up and you benefit from your low interest rate. There are a lot of costs to sell and I would argue you’re in a good position to hold for the long haul. The rent declines in the market are temporary until the new supply gets absorbed and demand picks back up.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5112 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Austin, TX · Member since 2023 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Hi Adriana, 

    I did a quick search on that zip code and trend data is showing it's a Sellers almost balanced market. Houses sell on average in 4.9 months and 100% go for listing price. 

    I think your goals are valid and exploring alternate options is a great idea. Like they say don't put all your eggs in one basket for a reason. It mitigates risk by spreading your investments to other areas.

    Feel free to connect offline.

    Thank you 

    Jackie 

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Adriana Siu:

    Hello, 

    I have a good interest rate at 2.875% and have tenants, I'm cutting even with expenses. If I sell I would be able to get what I bought it for. Overall my portfolio is too real estate heavy, I have more than 50% of my assets in real estate and I just generally think that's not such a great idea. I'm thinking I should sell and reserve those funds for investments in stocks or even gold or a small business I can buy. What do you guys think? What are the trends showing in the 78747 area? 


     That 2.875% rate is an asset. You are financing at less then likely future inflation rate. It is analogous to owning a 30 yr treasury bond at well above current rates. It is risk free profit every month. 

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Lender · TX · Member since 2024 · 308 posts · 196 votes
    1y

    Hi Adriana, i'd suggest keeping the property. Real Estate is a long-term strategy!

    With your current 2.875% interest rate and tenants covering expenses, you're in a solid spot. Although balancing your portfolio makes sense, with such a low rate, holding onto this property might give you both stability and potential appreciation without rushing into other markets.

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Thank you all for your opinions I appreciate it! I agree that the 2.875 is an asset, I'll probably keep. :) 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Keep the house, start investing in other asset classes if you're so worried about diversification.

    Don't sell to diversify, just start. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.