Seeking Data Sources for Small Cities Around Winchester, VA for Buy-and-Hold Strategy

Seeking Data Sources for Small Cities Around Winchester, VA for Buy-and-Hold Strategy

Investor · Stephens City, VA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 9 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,​

Bureau of Labor Statistics

I'm focusing on a buy-and-hold strategy within a 50-mile radius of Winchester, VA. While utilizing BiggerPockets' "Picking a Market" worksheet, I've encountered challenges in gathering current and comprehensive data for smaller cities and towns in this area.​

Specifically, I'm looking to fill in metrics such as:​

Population Growth​

Median Household Income​

Wage/Income Growth​

Unemployment Rate​

Job Growth​

Homeownership Rate​

Median Age​

Median Sale Price (including YoY and 5-year price growth)​

Housing Inventory​

Median Rent (including YoY and 5-year rent growth)​

Rent-to-Income & Rent-to-Price Ratios​

I've attempted to source this information from platforms like the U.S. Census Bureau and FRED, but often find the data lacking or outdated for the smaller locales.​ Been Google searching but not sure how accurate that info is, as its different in every article. 

For those experienced in investing in smaller or rural markets around Winchester, VA:

What reliable data sources or tools do you utilize to obtain the above metrics?​

Are there local databases, regional reports, or other resources that provide more granular insights?​

How do you address data gaps when official sources don't provide the necessary information?​

Any guidance, recommended resources, or strategies would be greatly appreciated as I aim to make informed investment decisions in these areas.​

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

0Reply
32 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.