Deal Check – what risks am I missing on this Brandon, FL BRRRR?

Deal Check – what risks am I missing on this Brandon, FL BRRRR?

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes

Hi BP community,
this Brandon, FL (Tampa suburb) deal practically fell on my lap, and I’d love to get a sanity check from experienced investors here — especially around risks I might be overlooking.

The property

Zip code: 33510, Brandon, FL

Type: 4 bed / 2 bath single-family

Condition: Needs full renovation (roof, windows, flooring, kitchen, bath, electrical, etc.)

The numbers:

Purchase Price: $100,000 (off-market, cash)
Renovation: ~$100,000
Total In: $200,000
ARV: ~$330,000
Refi: $200,000 @ 7% interest-only (after a year)
Rent: ~$2,200/mo with 2% annual increase or flat
Expenses: ~$8,500/year, growing at 2%

    Insurance: ~1900 per year

    Property tax: ~3000 per year

   Other expenses: ~3600 per year

Hold Period: 7 years
Exit Strategy: sell and 1031 Exchange.

I'm closing on June 20th, and anticipate renovations to take 2 months or so. Could any investor who knows the Tampa area well vet my assumptions on rent comps, expenses, and help me with vacancy, and demographics? Is there a target demographic that would make good long term tenant? I'm planning on self managing I live in Texas, but I have properties in Utah and Georgia, and I have been self managing for over 7 years now. What risks, if any am I overlooking? I know a lot of investors are running away from Florida right now... Refinancing should not be a problem, but I'm also willing to own it out right if need be. 
Any insights would be appreciated. 

    0Reply
    55 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    Finding a good, available contractor and managing a $100k renovation out of state is the hard the part for us part time investors.  Heck, it's difficult to do when you are local.  Sounds like you may have experience with it though.

    See this reply in the discussion

    12 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Daniel Kokodoko:

      Hi BP community,
      this Brandon, FL (Tampa suburb) deal practically fell on my lap, and I’d love to get a sanity check from experienced investors here — especially around risks I might be overlooking.

      The property

      Zip code: 33510, Brandon, FL

      Type: 4 bed / 2 bath single-family

      Condition: Needs full renovation (roof, windows, flooring, kitchen, bath, electrical, etc.)

      The numbers:

      Purchase Price: $100,000 (off-market, cash)
      Renovation: ~$100,000
      Total In: $200,000
      ARV: ~$330,000
      Refi: $200,000 @ 7% interest-only (after a year)
      Rent: ~$2,200/mo with 2% annual increase or flat
      Expenses: ~$8,500/year, growing at 2%

          Insurance: ~1900 per year

          Property tax: ~3000 per year

         Other expenses: ~3600 per year

      Hold Period: 7 years
      Exit Strategy: sell and 1031 Exchange.

      I'm closing on June 20th, and anticipate renovations to take 2 months or so. Could any investor who knows the Tampa area well vet my assumptions on rent comps, expenses, and help me with vacancy, and demographics? Is there a target demographic that would make good long term tenant? I'm planning on self managing I live in Texas, but I have properties in Utah and Georgia, and I have been self managing for over 7 years now. What risks, if any am I overlooking? I know a lot of investors are running away from Florida right now... Refinancing should not be a problem, but I'm also willing to own it out right if need be. 
      Any insights would be appreciated. 

         @Daniel Kokodoko I agree the financing shouldn't be a problem, but do you own your own construction company? How are you going to do $100k of rehab work in 2 months? Also, if this is done as a C2 reno, I would expect your ARV would be in the mid to high$400k range and you could get more than $2,200 in rent.

      • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes
        1y

        @Jaycee Greene, I'm using a contractor. What is a C2 reno? 

        • Jaycee GreenePro Member
          Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
          1y
          Quote from @Daniel Kokodoko:

          @Jaycee Greene, I'm using a contractor. What is a C2 reno? 

           @Daniel Kokodoko C2 is as close to new construction (aka C1) as you can get with a rehab. I'd be VERY surprised if a GC can do a full reno in 2 months...but if they can, hats off to them!

      • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes
        1y

        Thank you. You are right on the timeline. The contractor did not yet agree on this, and It definitely may take longer. 

        • Jaycee GreenePro Member
          Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
          1y
          Quote from @Daniel Kokodoko:

          Thank you. You are right on the timeline. The contractor did not yet agree on this, and It definitely may take longer. 

           @Daniel Kokodoko Whewww! You had me worried - I didn't want you to be told it could be done in 2 months and then they change their mind after they start working.

          For what it's worth, my basis is that I have a gut rehab CFO client that usually does $10k/month on his projects. Perhaps your GC could do $15k-$20k per month if they're really "cooking", which would put it at 5-7 months in my opinion. Good luck!

      • Ned CareyPro Member
        Moderator
        Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
        1y

        @Daniel Kokodoko after financing and expenses I see a net cash flow of $1,700 a year. While that looks good for a $0 investment, for me that is pretty tight. I think you have under estimated expenses which makes it even tighter. 

        If the $3600 expenses co not include property management expense then you are managing your property for $1700 a year. I wouldn't do that. 

        Just trying to give you a little different perspective.  Good Luck.

      • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
        1y

        Finding a good, available contractor and managing a $100k renovation out of state is the hard the part for us part time investors.  Heck, it's difficult to do when you are local.  Sounds like you may have experience with it though.

      • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes
        1y

        @Ned Carey thanks for the perspective. Yes, it's tight, but cash flow is really not what I'm after on this one, the up front equity is what I think makes it a good deal. Essentially a break even for me is alright. I have rental properties in Utah, Georgia, and Austin. I have been self managing them for about 7 years now. I have not seen this to be too much. And I have a demanding W2 job! I actually the longer I'm doing this, the more I think I'm learning. I can probably take on a few more properties, before I'm at capacity. 
        @Mike Dymski, agreed, remote renovation can be challenging. This will be my 5th remote renovation (2 in Atlanta, and 2 in Salt Lake City), and I'm still worried it's going to go wrong! In all cases though, I have had people on the ground I could trust. So that helps. My in-laws live in the area, so I think I have a bit of an advantage. Plus it's a 2 hours flight away for me. But, I definitely would not try this in a market where I don't know anyone on the ground. 

      • Ned CareyPro Member
        Moderator
        Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
        1y

        @Daniel Kokodoko it sounds like you've got some experience and boots on the ground you can trust. Just recognize that being out of state increases your risk. 

        The up front equity is a good deal, but why not just sell now, instead of taking losses for potentially years?   

      • Dan H.Pro Member
        Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
        1y

        My comments: 

        - other expenses seems a little low but may be ok because exiting at year 7 will be before large cap ex items start to heed to be replaced.

        - $100k rehab in 2 months is very challenging but I did do a $100k rehab in just over 2 months just over a year ago.   I was on site every day and it was a lot of work.

        - not sure the purpose of the hold is.   The cash flow is very little.  Rent $2200.  P&i $1331.  Expenses $708.  About $160/month cash flow.  Why not just flip and fully realize the value add as soon as you can?   This would optimize the return.   Basically $100k return (used 10% total selling cost including additional hold time) in 2 months (if you can actually perform at that speed) on $200k investment equates to $600k for a year or a 300% return.  Even if it takes you a couple months to sell, you are likely looking at over 100% return. The market price indicates that it is unlikely to have great appreciation.  Holding it for a couple hundred a month cash flow is going to diminish this return.  

        Good luck

      • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
        Moderator
        Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
        1y
        Quote from @Daniel Kokodoko:

        Hi BP community,
        this Brandon, FL (Tampa suburb) deal practically fell on my lap, and I’d love to get a sanity check from experienced investors here — especially around risks I might be overlooking.

        The property

        Zip code: 33510, Brandon, FL

        Type: 4 bed / 2 bath single-family

        Condition: Needs full renovation (roof, windows, flooring, kitchen, bath, electrical, etc.)

        The numbers:

        Purchase Price: $100,000 (off-market, cash)
        Renovation: ~$100,000
        Total In: $200,000
        ARV: ~$330,000
        Refi: $200,000 @ 7% interest-only (after a year)
        Rent: ~$2,200/mo with 2% annual increase or flat
        Expenses: ~$8,500/year, growing at 2%

            Insurance: ~1900 per year

            Property tax: ~3000 per year

           Other expenses: ~3600 per year

        Hold Period: 7 years
        Exit Strategy: sell and 1031 Exchange.

        I'm closing on June 20th, and anticipate renovations to take 2 months or so. Could any investor who knows the Tampa area well vet my assumptions on rent comps, expenses, and help me with vacancy, and demographics? Is there a target demographic that would make good long term tenant? I'm planning on self managing I live in Texas, but I have properties in Utah and Georgia, and I have been self managing for over 7 years now. What risks, if any am I overlooking? I know a lot of investors are running away from Florida right now... Refinancing should not be a problem, but I'm also willing to own it out right if need be. 
        Any insights would be appreciated. 


           insurance and taxes at 2% year growth in florida. Might want to recheck that

          7e investments53 Reviews
        • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes
          1y

          @Dan H., I think ordinarily you would be right. But my long term goal is to do a 1031 Exchange of my current properties (mainly duplexes at this point) into a larger multifamily. The timeline for that is about 7 years. So holding this property aligns more with that goal, as opposed to paying the 20% capital gain tax. 
          I do see a drawback here though: now I have to setup a new team in a new market just to manage one property. But I can always hire a PM. Or are we saying a 7 year hold is no longer a good idea in the Tampa area? 

          I guess I can also check to see what paying the capital gain now and investing the proceed of the flip + the initial capital into my other markets would look like after 7 years, and see which one of the options will grown my equity faster.
          Thanks for the input!

        Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.