Let’s talk about mortgage rates for a minute.

Let’s talk about mortgage rates for a minute.

Ravi KakuBusiness Member
Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 43 posts · 22 votes

I keep seeing, “Rates are still historically low,” and while that’s true, I think that statement leaves out a pretty important part of the conversation: home prices.

In 1981, mortgage rates were around 16.6%, but the median home price was roughly $66,400; today, rates are around 7%, but the median home price is roughly $429,000.

So comparing rates by themselves doesn’t tell us much about affordability—the payment relative to the price of the home and the buyer’s income is what really matters.

At the same time, I think there’s a legitimate argument on the other side: waiting for rates to fall isn't necessarily the winning strategy either.

If a $500,000 home today becomes a $600,000 home in a few years, getting that future 5.5% rate instead of today's 7% doesn't necessarily mean the buyer comes out ahead.

And that brings us to “date the rate, marry the house.”

I actually like the concept—but I think it has been oversold.

It shouldn't mean “buy now because rates are guaranteed to come down.”

It should mean “if you find the right house at a price and payment that work for you today, don't necessarily let the rate alone keep you from buying—because financing can potentially be changed later.”

The key word is potentially.

There’s no guarantee rates fall, just like there’s no guarantee home prices continue climbing.

And after hearing “rates will be lower next year” for the last few years, I think buyers deserve a little more nuance than that.

Buy the house because the numbers work today.

If rates improve later, that's an opportunity—not the reason the purchase had to work in the first place.

At the end of the day, rate + price + payment + income = affordability.

That’s a much bigger conversation than simply asking, “What’s the rate?”

Blink Lending & Investments5407 Reviews
0Reply
100 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 105 votes
    2w

    This is a great breakdown, Ravi. I think the "date the rate, marry the house" conversation gets even more interesting when you're buying at auction instead of on the MLS.

    I buy tax deed properties in Broward County FL, and rates are almost a secondary consideration for me. When you're picking up properties at 40-50% of ARV at auction, the financing cost doesn't move the deal — the purchase price does. I'm paying hard money at 10-12% interest plus 2-3 points, and the numbers still work because my basis is so far below market.

    That said, your point about price appreciation hitting affordability is dead on in South Florida. Broward has appreciated consistently even as rates climbed, so the buyers who sat on the sidelines in 2022 waiting for 5% rates are now looking at homes that cost 20-30% more. The rate didn't matter because the price ran away from them.

    Where I think "date the rate" actually works best is for fix-and-flip investors. If you're holding for 4-6 months during rehab, you're not marrying the rate at all — you're just renting it briefly. The refi risk you mentioned is real for buy-and-hold folks, but for flippers the exit is a sale, not a refinance. So the rate question becomes: can I carry this debt for 6 months and still hit my margin?

    The formula you laid out — rate + price + payment + income = affordability — is really the right framework. I'd just add one variable for investors: exit strategy. If your exit works at today's rate and today's price, the rate conversation is academic.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.