How would you structure a deal to buy a duplex if one partner is planning to live in the duplex and the other partner lives out of the area. I am about $50k short on my pre-qual for a duplex that I would like to house hack. My sister offered to help out but we don’t know what that would look like.
How would you structure a deal to buy a duplex if one partner is planning to live in the duplex and the other partner lives out of the area. I am about $50k short on my pre-qual for a duplex that I would like to house hack. My sister offered to help out but we don’t know what that would look like.
I don't have experience with this, but I love problem solving. My guess on what would make the most sense is to act a both an investor and a tenant. Assuming all things are equal (downpayment wise), it makes sense for you to get an equal benefit of Rent Savings + cashflow to your sister getting in cashflow. Start by figuring out what 50/50 would be if neither of you lived in the unit and made market cashflow. Then, your sister should get that in cashflow and you should get yours in rent savings + cashflow.
Rough example:
PITI + Expenses = 2500
Market Rents = $1500 each side ($3,000 total)
Cashflow if neither of you were living in the house = $500
Your sister should get $250 a month, and you should get $250 in rent savings (You pay $1250 a month in rent as opposed to $1500).
Would love feedback on my thoughts if you (or anyone else) has them!