New York/NJ house hacking feasible?

New York/NJ house hacking feasible?

Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 13 votes

Hi, with a job that has offices both in the financial district of Manhattan and White Plains NY, I am pretty open on where I can live. Whether it’s jersey city or anywhere in Westchester county.

Originally I was going to rent there and invest in the mid-west. However, I wanted to look more into house hacking, and NJ was interesting. There’s many duplexes and 3plexes in Bergen-Lafayette that could work. And Westchester along the metro North also has some options.

Could someone tell me more my options in this area? Do tenant laws make it a headache to deal with compared to other areas? Once I move out Is cash flow possible, or at least to where rent covers some funds for maintenance/vacancy? I want to try and somewhat limit out of pocket expenses where possible.

I’d likely stay in the duplex 1-2 years to benefit from the lower down payment and then move out either into another multi family purchase or rent in a more desirable area in NY/Jersey City. 

1Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo

Hi @Harris J. when running the numbers if house hacking is done right repeating what works this strategy will absolutely blow mid-west OOS investing out of the water.  

Tenant laws can be a pain if you do not know how to navigate them. Believe it or not as wacky as NJ can be with laws we are very favorable with owner occupant laws.

Cash flow is absolutely possible! I have clients purchasing house hack deals each month that are cash flowing/will be once they move out.  

Out of pocket expenses come down big time with house hacking, 3.5% down loan in some case closing costs paid for. 

Moving property to property house hacking is how my wife and I got to Fi you can do it as well, there are plenty of us doing it in todays market. 

I have a youtube channel dedicated to house hacking in New Jersey, new videos come out each week. Most of the questions you are asking I answer on the channel but always happy to dive deeper with one on one call.

House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Hi Harris,

    I’m Mo, a real estate broker based in NYC and Long Island. I work with a lot of first-time investors who are focused on house hacking, and I’d be happy to connect and give you some insights based on what’s worked for others in similar situations. 

    Feel free to DM me if you want to chat!

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Hi @Harris J. when running the numbers if house hacking is done right repeating what works this strategy will absolutely blow mid-west OOS investing out of the water.  

    Tenant laws can be a pain if you do not know how to navigate them. Believe it or not as wacky as NJ can be with laws we are very favorable with owner occupant laws.

    Cash flow is absolutely possible! I have clients purchasing house hack deals each month that are cash flowing/will be once they move out.  

    Out of pocket expenses come down big time with house hacking, 3.5% down loan in some case closing costs paid for. 

    Moving property to property house hacking is how my wife and I got to Fi you can do it as well, there are plenty of us doing it in todays market. 

    I have a youtube channel dedicated to house hacking in New Jersey, new videos come out each week. Most of the questions you are asking I answer on the channel but always happy to dive deeper with one on one call.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 91 posts · 55 votes
    8mo

    I’m currently house hacking in Astoria. While it hasn’t been effortless, the value of the investment, the lending options available to me, and the savings have made it more than worth it. Happy to chat. DM me if you’re interested.

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    8mo

    I am a fellow aspiring investor as well. I evaluated Westchester County as an investment option, but the combination of New York’s tenant-friendly laws and Westchester’s HCOL made it unattractive for me. YMMV. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.