House Hacking in Raleigh, NC — Moving Dec 2026

House Hacking in Raleigh, NC — Moving Dec 2026

Investor · NC · Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 33 votes
Hey BP community, I’m a 21-year-old investor based in Pennsylvania with 4 units under my belt (a single-family in southern Delaware and a triplex in North Carolina) and I’m relocating to Raleigh in December 2026 for a new career opportunity. My plan from day one is to house hack to cut living expenses, build equity in the Triangle, and keep stacking units the right way. I’ve been running the BRRRR method and I’m comfortable with value-add deals, but stepping into a new market is a different animal. A few things I’d love input on: Best submarkets for house hacking? Looking at small multifamily or SFRs with ADU potential. Are there areas of Raleigh or surrounding towns like Garner, Knightdale, or Clayton that pencil out well while still appreciating? Real rental numbers? What are rents actually coming in at for 2/1s and 3/2s in solid B-class areas? Vacancy rates, tenant demand, anything helpful. What to watch out for? HOA restrictions on rentals, Wake County zoning quirks, anything that could trip up a house hack. Financing recs? I’ll have W-2 income from my new job and plan to use FHA or conventional owner-occupant financing. Any Triangle lenders you’d trust who understand investor buyers? I’ve got 10 months to research before I pull the trigger, so any insight is gold. Would love to connect with anyone actively investing in the area. DMs are open.
0Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 20 votes
5mo

@Lacey S. What neighborhoods of Raleigh did you buy your current rentals in and have you had any issues with getting tenants for them? Are their neighborhoods/areas in Raleigh that you would not invest in?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    6mo

    Jack, congrats on getting started so young and already having 4 units. That is impressive. Connecting with local Raleigh investors, agents and REIA groups will give you the most accurate rent comps and market insight.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 18 votes
    6mo

    Imo, we don't have a lot of MF housing stock in this area. Much that does exists is pricy or not in great condition. If you want to look further out, you could try Burlington or Greensboro.

    There are more opportunitines with SFH and house hacking with roommates in this area, imo. That is how I origianally built my portfolio here.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 20 votes
    5mo

    @Jack Hamm Hey Jack! Very impressive to already have 4 units under your belt. I am looking for my first out of state property in the Raleigh area with one rental in my current market. Looking to invest out of state now just to due landlord tenant laws here in WA. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 20 votes
    5mo

    @Lacey S. What neighborhoods of Raleigh did you buy your current rentals in and have you had any issues with getting tenants for them? Are their neighborhoods/areas in Raleigh that you would not invest in?

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 557 posts · 376 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Jack Hamm:
    Hey BP community, I’m a 21-year-old investor based in Pennsylvania with 4 units under my belt (a single-family in southern Delaware and a triplex in North Carolina) and I’m relocating to Raleigh in December 2026 for a new career opportunity. My plan from day one is to house hack to cut living expenses, build equity in the Triangle, and keep stacking units the right way. I’ve been running the BRRRR method and I’m comfortable with value-add deals, but stepping into a new market is a different animal. A few things I’d love input on: Best submarkets for house hacking? Looking at small multifamily or SFRs with ADU potential. Are there areas of Raleigh or surrounding towns like Garner, Knightdale, or Clayton that pencil out well while still appreciating? Real rental numbers? What are rents actually coming in at for 2/1s and 3/2s in solid B-class areas? Vacancy rates, tenant demand, anything helpful. What to watch out for? HOA restrictions on rentals, Wake County zoning quirks, anything that could trip up a house hack. Financing recs? I’ll have W-2 income from my new job and plan to use FHA or conventional owner-occupant financing. Any Triangle lenders you’d trust who understand investor buyers? I’ve got 10 months to research before I pull the trigger, so any insight is gold. Would love to connect with anyone actively investing in the area. DMs are open.

    First of all being 21 with 4 units under your belt, man congrats! This is seriously amazing. Your long term trajectory is going to be outstanding! You should try and find some investor FB groups that are local to the area. If you are not there yet you may even want to find a good meet up and go down for the weekend to attend and make some connections. I would be willing to bet you can find a great investor friendly realtor that can answer all your questions and point you toward the right neighborhoods. I have a lender that is an investor that is licensed in all states. If you want to send me a DM with your email Im more than happy to make a connection.

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    5mo

    @Jack Hamm

    Congrats and welcome to the area.

    I'm a builder and investor in the area, house hacking here is difficult. Cost of land is a lot and rents just haven't kept up. I'm actually building a duplex now I've been thinking about selling it but it would be $1.1 million or build a duplex ADU in back with it and be 1.6 but that is usually unreachable for most.

    Rents can range depending on areas and how new the property is. You could always buy a house and add a ADU to help but usually the costs don't help much :/

    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.