MTR starter seeking advice

MTR starter seeking advice

Homeowner · CA · Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes

Hi All,

I'm freshly starting my MTR and will mainly focus on leads from FF. I have quite some questions that need your help:

For tenant screening, I plan to do the routine background (eviction, criminal) screening and credit check. Should I also call the tenant's previous landlords x 3 to ensure positive rental history?

For income verification, I plan to obtain a copy of the employment contract. Should I call the recruiter/employer to verify employment? Is it necessary to request recent 3-month paystub, bank statement, or last year's w2 form?

When the property is rent to a group of 3 traveling nurses, should each of them individually fill out the complete rental application form? Should I charge each nurse the application fee? One lease will be signed by all three together. I plan to use baselane to do online screening and am not sure how it works yet.

Regarding pet allowance, do people usually request to leave the pets in the front or back yard? or actually allow pets to run inside the house? When a applicant has a service dog or ESA-certified animal, is this considered a red flag? 

For monthly rent payment, do you usually have it due by the first day of each month or pay in advance like one week ahead of time?

Is it feasible to ask the tenant to move the trash can to the curbside for weekly trash pickup when the property is rented as an entire unit?

How many pages is a typical MTR lease? I have been editing it based on a state-specific lease template which contains 15 pages. I'm wondering if it is too long.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

Hi, Summer. Here are a few brief answers to some of your questions. This is just what I do so it may or may not work for you. I would call at least one prior landlord reference but you may find they don't respond so you may need to call a few. For travel medical professionals I will accept a copy of their fully executed contract in lieu of pay stubs because their prior pay stubs may be totally different than their current contracted rate. 

If you're renting to multiple individuals for the same time period they should all pass the background check and all be signers of the lease. I don't charge an application fee but I do have the tenant pay for their background check. 

For pet deposit, you'll need to discuss with them what their plans are for the pet when they're gone. Ideally, they're either going to pet day care or have a pet walker come in to relieve them during the day. But some people do leave them in a fenced yard or even in the home. It just depends on what you're comfortable allowing. Service animals are not a red flag in my book.

Rent is always due the 1st day of the month and late fees apply by the 3rd. Guests are responsible for moving trash and recyling bins to/from the curb and that is spelled out in the lease. 

hard to say how many pages the typical MTR lease is. Use a state-specific lease and feave everything in there so long as it applies. You can add clauses, like how to handle garbage and where parking is allowed, but don't take out anything relevant in your state specific lease. I use Baselane's partner Rocket Lawyer to create the lease but I've used Keycheck and Avail before and they're all very similar.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi, Summer. Here are a few brief answers to some of your questions. This is just what I do so it may or may not work for you. I would call at least one prior landlord reference but you may find they don't respond so you may need to call a few. For travel medical professionals I will accept a copy of their fully executed contract in lieu of pay stubs because their prior pay stubs may be totally different than their current contracted rate. 

    If you're renting to multiple individuals for the same time period they should all pass the background check and all be signers of the lease. I don't charge an application fee but I do have the tenant pay for their background check. 

    For pet deposit, you'll need to discuss with them what their plans are for the pet when they're gone. Ideally, they're either going to pet day care or have a pet walker come in to relieve them during the day. But some people do leave them in a fenced yard or even in the home. It just depends on what you're comfortable allowing. Service animals are not a red flag in my book.

    Rent is always due the 1st day of the month and late fees apply by the 3rd. Guests are responsible for moving trash and recyling bins to/from the curb and that is spelled out in the lease. 

    hard to say how many pages the typical MTR lease is. Use a state-specific lease and feave everything in there so long as it applies. You can add clauses, like how to handle garbage and where parking is allowed, but don't take out anything relevant in your state specific lease. I use Baselane's partner Rocket Lawyer to create the lease but I've used Keycheck and Avail before and they're all very similar.

  • Homeowner · CA · Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    Hi Bonnie, 

    This is very helpful. Much appreciated!

    Regarding tenant application, do you ask each tenant to fill out the complete California rental application form which requests all previous employment and residence details or only ask for the tenant's SSN and driver's license?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
    2y

    Hey Summer,

    Here's what I do:

    - I require 1 landlord reference for tenants but 2 if the tenant is traveling with a pet

    - All renters over 18 need to be screened. My screening involves a background, credit, and eviction check. 

    - Pets have free range of the homes, just like my pet does at home :). I require a pet deposit as protection against pet damage and a monthly pet fee. 

    - Each of my leases are different lengths depending on the state. I'd say 10 - 20 pages is typical depending on the operator. 

  • Investor · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 86 posts · 91 votes
    2y

    Hi Summer - here's my experience as well. I mostly rent for 3-6 months at a time to families relocating from out of state, so some of my answers may not be as applicable to travel nurses.

    Tenant screening: I do a background/credit check, but I don't ask for references. Since my tenants are usually homeowners it doesn't make sense for me, but even for the couple travel nurses I've had, the background/credit check was sufficient and seeing how they communicate with me prior to booking. Some MTR hosts will also skip a background check for travel nurses in lieu of receiving their employment contract. Travel nurses go through extensive background checks to be employed, so having a copy of their contract is sufficient for some. Make sure you feel comfortable, but keep in mind if you ask for too much (in comparison to other MTR hosts), you might lose out on guests. 

    Income verification: I don't ask for it. I've found that by requiring a deposit, not being a low priced rental, getting back a good credit report, and the fact that they're relocating to buy a house it's not something I need to verify. For travel nurses, you can ask for their contract, but even then, I've told my travel nurse guests they can black out their pay. You can call the contact on their contract to verify employment. Usually, a red flag for me is if anyone asks for a discount. 

    Leases: Each tenant should complete their own background check, application, and lease. I don't charge an application fee, but they pay for the background check. Since MTR stays are a month plus, guests will have tenant rights and need a normal rental lease. I got mine off Law Depot. I wouldn't worry about the length of it. 

    Pets: These aren't short-term guests, so for me, they're allowed to have their pets as they would in their home. They can be left alone, or they need to set up boarding. I wouldn't want my guests to leave their dog outside all day. I confirm prior to booking their pet is house trained and is a minimal barker. Usually if they're upfront about their pets they're fine. ESAs aren't a red flag for me, esp if you allow pets. 

    Rent: If they move in in the middle of the month, I pro-rate it and it's due prior to them moving in and me giving them a door code. Beyond that rent is due on the 1st. 

    Trash: Yes, include trash expectations in your lease. 

    Hope this helps! 

  • Homeowner · CA · Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    You guys are awesome! Each input is so helpful and practical. Thank you all, Bonnie, Jamie, and Mel! 

    I have outdoor surveillance cameras in the front yard and back yard. There are also 2 indoor cameras: one in the kitchen to make sure nobody forgets to turn off the gas oven or leave the sink full of dish. Another one in the living/dinning room to ensure no intruder when the house is vacant. Should I remove these two indoor cameras when the house is rent out or it is possible to keep them on after I notify the tenants? I assume tenant may not care about the outdoor cameras.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Summer Chen:

    Hi Bonnie, 

    This is very helpful. Much appreciated!

    Regarding tenant application, do you ask each tenant to fill out the complete California rental application form which requests all previous employment and residence details or only ask for the tenant's SSN and driver's license?


     I don't use an application. I start with a conversation with the person to understand what they're looking for and whether or not my property is a good fit for them. If that checks out, we do the background check next and so on as I described before. And yes, I require every person over the age of 18 who will be staying in the house to go through the background check and be a signer on the lease.

  • Homeowner · CA · Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Summer Chen:

    You guys are awesome! Each input is so helpful and practical. Thank you all, Bonnie, Jamie, and Mel! 

    I have outdoor surveillance cameras in the front yard and back yard. There are also 2 indoor cameras: one in the kitchen to make sure nobody forgets to turn off the gas oven or leave the sink full of dish. Another one in the living/dinning room to ensure no intruder when the house is vacant. Should I remove these two indoor cameras when the house is rent out or it is possible to keep them on after I notify the tenants? I assume tenant may not care about the outdoor cameras.

    I have been searching information today regarding security camera policy. 

    So the outdoor cameras are generally allowed as long as we disclose them to the tenants. 

    Regarding the indoor cameras, airb&b has banned them since March 2024 even if they are in the common area. 

    Here is quoted VRBO policy:

    "Vrbo, another vacation rental company, states that it does not allow any form of surveillance device inside a property, with the exception of smart devices that are allowed "as long as you have been informed of their presence and given the option to deactivate them." Mar 11, 2024"

    I am going to remove the 2 indoor cameras now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.