Damage protection coverage for midterm rentals

Damage protection coverage for midterm rentals

Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 27 votes

Is there a third-party company that offers Damage Protection coverage for midterm rentals? Specifically for 2-6 month stays. Searching on the internet mainly results in regular landlord insurance. Since a mid-term stay could technically last for 60 days, is that a Damage Protection coverage for reservations this long similar to AirCover? I accept Direct Bookings by the way, and some are sourced from sites like Furnished Finder. 

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Zachary DealPro Member
Lender · Member since 2023 · 464 posts · 425 votes
2y

Hi Tim, I know Proper and Steadily are common insurance choices for MTR owners. While I'm not sure specifically if they or any companies that offer Damage Protection coverage for 2 - 6 month stays, I know some people require a security deposit for longer stays (sometimes only half month) to mitigate damage risk and sometimes renters insurance as well. If you're worried about damage, I think some form of security deposit for longer stays makes sense.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 464 posts · 425 votes
    2y

    Hi Tim, I know Proper and Steadily are common insurance choices for MTR owners. While I'm not sure specifically if they or any companies that offer Damage Protection coverage for 2 - 6 month stays, I know some people require a security deposit for longer stays (sometimes only half month) to mitigate damage risk and sometimes renters insurance as well. If you're worried about damage, I think some form of security deposit for longer stays makes sense.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
    2y

    Yes. I've used Waivo and another one (I forget the name) through Owner Rez. You typically have to pay per 30 days but I've seen that it's worth it as an extra protection for us landlords. 

  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    2y

    Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

    I also considered Safely, but they're pricing becomes very expensive for MTRs

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Allen Duan:

    Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

    I also considered Safely, but they're pricing becomes very expensive for MTRs


     So is Waivo more of an aircover-like insurance options rather than property insurance? I don't use Airbnb for MTR so I don't have Aircover as an option.

  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Allen Duan:

    Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

    I also considered Safely, but they're pricing becomes very expensive for MTRs


     So is Waivo more of an aircover-like insurance options rather than property insurance? I don't use Airbnb for MTR so I don't have Aircover as an option.


     Correct. It does not replace the need for property insurance. It's more of a replacement for the security deposit as they only cover guest damages with some specific stipulations. We chose to use a service like this so we don't have to track and refund deposits, which is very frequent for us managing so many MTRs. So it's more of an operational benefit than just financial.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Allen Duan:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Allen Duan:

    Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

    I also considered Safely, but they're pricing becomes very expensive for MTRs


     So is Waivo more of an aircover-like insurance options rather than property insurance? I don't use Airbnb for MTR so I don't have Aircover as an option.


     Correct. It does not replace the need for property insurance. It's more of a replacement for the security deposit as they only cover guest damages with some specific stipulations. We chose to use a service like this so we don't have to track and refund deposits, which is very frequent for us managing so many MTRs. So it's more of an operational benefit than just financial.


     You're using Waivo in lieu of collecting security deposits from your guests? Interesting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.