Typical Occupancy Rate - and how to calculate?

Typical Occupancy Rate - and how to calculate?

Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I am curious: what are typical occupancy rates, and how do we measure and compare them? For last three years I had good occupancy, now seeing a slowdown - not sure if it is a market shift or just normalizing from the Pandemic. How do we calculate occupancy and what is to be "Normal". 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Patrick OsterlingBusiness Member
California/Nevada · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 41 votes
1y

Would you mind sharing your Airbnb link? Our STR/MTR portfolio typically sees around 80% occupancy, and I've noticed that the online travel booking sites often push properties with consistently great guest experiences. I'm curious about your property type, amenities, photos, and reviews etc. Sometimes a few listing tweaks can really help you stand out. It might be more a matter of fine-tuning your listing than just a shift in the overall market. We are in 3 markets and seeing great occupancy

Haus Ventures Hospitality Group 53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patrick OsterlingBusiness Member
    California/Nevada · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 41 votes
    1y

    Would you mind sharing your Airbnb link? Our STR/MTR portfolio typically sees around 80% occupancy, and I've noticed that the online travel booking sites often push properties with consistently great guest experiences. I'm curious about your property type, amenities, photos, and reviews etc. Sometimes a few listing tweaks can really help you stand out. It might be more a matter of fine-tuning your listing than just a shift in the overall market. We are in 3 markets and seeing great occupancy

    Haus Ventures Hospitality Group 53 Reviews
  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    1y

    I don't know of anywhere with good data. You could use tools like Airdna and Pricelabs, filter for 30 min listings, and see what it tells you. Your best bet would be to connect with local operators and ask them. I also see our properties at 75-80% occupancy. I'm in Los Angeles, so keep in mind it may vary by market.

  • Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Let's see here are my places: love some free feedback.

    airbnb.com/h/newport1bedroom

    airbnb.com/h/newport2bedroom

    airbnb.com/h/sanjuanhideway

  • Miguel Del MazoPro Member
    Northeast Georgia · Member since 2023 · 140 posts · 170 votes
    1y

    Hey Tod, 

    I took a very brief look at your first listing, airbnb.com/h/newport1bedroom, and the thing that jumps out at me as far as improving it is: address the 1-star review head on without attacking the reviewer. Your response may turn off a number of guests who were thinking of booking.

    We've all had guests whose unrealistic expectations were not met and could never have been met. If the guest feels slighted, there is no fact checking service provided by AirBnB to confirm their claims, so it is up to you to let future guests know the level of professionalism you provide.

    If you are able, I would recommend editing your response to the 1-star review. This may be a viable response: "I appreciate your feedback, and I am sorry that your expectations were not met. As a super-host going back over 14 years, I know how important it is to have a great experience. Our Newport condo has consistently been rated highly, and we have been using the same cleaning crew since XXXX because they have consistently done a great job. When you posted your review, we assessed the unit to see if there was evidence of mold, urine or any other health hazard. We, fortunately, did not find any evidence of these. I am sorry that the storm that passed through just prior to your stay required emergency roof repairs.  When we spoke, I alerted you to the need to make the quick repairs, and you agreed to allow access to the space to get things back to top shape. I understand how important privacy is to our guests.  Again, I am sorry that your expecations were not met as I will always try to be honest, straightforward and respectful to all of our guests".

    It is a shame that one reviewer can hold so much sway, but sometimes the host's response (if done well) to a negative review can actually draw me to a property, rather than dissuade me from booking.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.