How to donate or "abandon" property to the Harris County Flood Control District

How to donate or "abandon" property to the Harris County Flood Control District

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote

I am trying to sell a property I rehabbed that the HCAD had over-appraised on a lot they listed at 35,000 sf.  With public easements, the lot is more like 12,000 SF.  2/3 of the listed sf is a 45 degree slope heading down to White Oak Bayou.  

I think potential buyers are scared off by the property taxes, and when they see the property they are expecting to see a larger lot.  How do I go about donating the public easement part of the property to the flood control district to get it off my tax rolls?  This isn't a "home buyout," as I only want to donate part of the property without any structures.  

1Reply
8 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · West Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 180 posts · 95 votes
    3y

    Ginny, Check with the county assessor. 

    If it is an easement, you may not be the owner of the easement. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.