Changing single family zoning to multi family

Changing single family zoning to multi family

Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hello all, there's a single family property I'm looking at in a neighborhood/city that has plenty of multi family duplexes.  The property already has two kitchens and looks as if it could very well be a duplex. At first glance, the property is looking like a bargin, but the more I look into what it takes to change zoning, I'm becoming more uncertain.


Does anyone have experience on changing a zoning from SF to MF? If so, what were some of the steps you took? Anything I should look out for? The town requires plans, proposed text, detailed narrative, and design guidelines before they'll accept the proposal. 

Thank you!

1Reply
29 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Update: I found the city's zoning map, and the property was zoned approprately. 

    However, after talking with the city planner, I learned this couldn't become a duplex for two reasons: 

    1. The lot size was too small. The city required the lot size to be at least 5.8k sqft, but it was 3.1k.

    2. The neighborhood was also too dense and the block was over capacity for multi family rental units. 
      

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.