Can you review our lease agreement?

Can you review our lease agreement?

Member since 2022 · 58 posts · 10 votes

Hello,

I hired a lawyer from Upwork.com who has received many 5-star reviews.

I asked him to write a lease agreement. However, I later found out that he lives internationally.

His first draft was missing many important terms, such as those regarding lead-based paint, Megan's Law, etc.

I questioned his qualifications for this job, and he assured me of his capabilities.

I'm attaching his final version here. lease agreement

I removed personal information in the contract. 

It would be great if you could review it to determine if it's suitable for use.

If not, please recommend a reliable place or lawyer to review or draft a lease agreement.

Thank you.

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Kevin Kim Find the time and build your own lease. Tons of clauses, tips, and advice in the forums. Search for it and use it. Investors should do this so they can learn and remember the clauses. It's a living document. Every time you place new tenants you're reviewing it and "tweaking" things. This is wildly important if you're handing the PM. 

    If you plan to hire that out then it falls on the PM company. You need to screen them and ask the important questions no different than tenant. Best of luck. 

  • Member since 2022 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Kevin Kim Find the time and build your own lease. Tons of clauses, tips, and advice in the forums. Search for it and use it. Investors should do this so they can learn and remember the clauses. It's a living document. Every time you place new tenants you're reviewing it and "tweaking" things. This is wildly important if you're handing the PM. 

    If you plan to hire that out then it falls on the PM company. You need to screen them and ask the important questions no different than tenant. Best of luck. 

    Thank you for your reply.

    I have studied and drafted a few important clauses, which I asked the lawyer to translate into legal language, including must-have clauses for a California lease agreement. Since I lack a legal background, I don't want to risk handling it myself, especially for our first rental. Once we have a solid lease agreement in place, I'm confident we can make any necessary tweaks. Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.