Current Owner vs Owner of Deed

Current Owner vs Owner of Deed

Real Estate Investor · SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes

I'm creating my buyers list and I'm starting with searching the MLS for cash buyers within the last 6 months. On the county's website, they have "current owner" and "owner of record"; if there are different names under each of those headings, which would I target, current owner or owner of record?

Also, for whatever reason, no matter how many houses an individual buys, the owner address is always the same as the property. For example, if the assumed investor bought 123 Main St, 123 Main St would come up as the owner address. If the same investor bought 456 Random St, that same address would also come up as the owner address. There are no other addresses listed on the page with the property/owner information. My question is, should I try and contact the assumed investor at that address or would that be a waste of a stamp, (thinking that the address is an investment home being flipped, wholesaled, etc).

0Reply
24 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    I'd go with owner of record, but what I'd do would be to call the county recorder's office and have them define the difference. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Bill Gulley

  • Tradd BastianPro Member
    Realtor · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Jessica,


    Where are you looking for the owner address?

  • Tradd BastianPro Member
    Realtor · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Please reply to this post as I forgot to click the notify button. I don't want to miss your reply.

    Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hey @Tradd Bastian , I was looking on the charleston county website. On the tax assessor's page.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Look at the property card for owner and owner address. The owner address is the same as the property address, generally, for owner occupied. I looked at a few cards and saw several where the owner address != parcel address (e.g. PIN 3881000014). It might be easier to work with the county master data file rather than discrete card data.

  • Tradd BastianPro Member
    Realtor · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Hey @JessicaGourdine,

    I have a client currently looking at a house where the owner isn't using the home as a primary residence. I looked up the property on the Charleston county site and found that the owners address was the same as the subject property.

    With MLS I have access to a different tax site (CRS Data) that lists the owners actual mailing address. This site also lists the flood zones that the subject property is located with in. This is extremely important to pay attention to, as FEMA is planning on remapping the entire US. Flood insurance is about to get ridiculous, depending on the property.

    It looks like if you have a log in ID and password you can access it. I haven't needed to research it further, but maybe you should. It may just be a monthly fee that anyone can get, not just realtors. Let me know what you find.

    I'm sure there are other ways to find this info, but this seems to be the fastest way.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    The MLS/CRS system pulls the data from the local public sites, so the info is there, you're just missing it. Maybe try the tax collector/assessor site, as opposed to the property appraise/recorder site.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.