Finding best market for wholesale

Finding best market for wholesale

Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so I´ll try to be quick.

I am starting my wholesaling carreer and first of all need to know what makes a market or neighborhood good for wholesaling. I live in Madrid, Spain and will invest here. I currently have 2 choices:

Market 1: mid-high income area, very strong appreciation and rental demand but low rent yields due to high prices. Very desirable neighborhood, old houses (1900s-1980s) and great to live and invest for long-term growth. Houses very well kept and "luxury"

- Average income is 50,000USD 

- Annual appreciation for 2024 was 20.5%

- Annual rental growth for 2024 was 11.9%

- The price per square feet is $765

- Average rental yield is 2.58%

- 0.5% of houses need full renovation and 2.87% of houses need "some" renovation.

- Unemployment rate is 5.24%

- Houses for sale are 1,065 (similar population than Market 2). 174 houses in need of renovation (listed online)


Market 2: middle income neighborhood, lots of new developments (by demolishing old houses and making new ones), it has twice as many inmigrants than market 1 and recently has been getting a lot of attention from investors. Old houses (1950s-1980s). Used to be a very bad area but it is now improving quickly.

- Average income is 35,000USD

- Annual appreciation for 2024 was 17%

- Annual rental growth for 2024 was 11.4%

- The price per square feet is $504

- Average rental yield is 4.47%

- 1.74% of houses need full renovation and 7.4% of houses need "some" renovation.

- Unemployment rate is 7.29%

- Houses for sale are 533 (similar population than Market 1). 105 houses in need of renovation (listed online)


Further considerations: 

Market 1 (Chamberi) has always been a prime area in Madrid, old buildings but with quality materials and high historical value. Market 2 (Tetuan) was built for low income families in the 50s-80s and has almost no historical value compared to Chamberi. There is also another Market, called Vallecas with slightly higher amount of distressed properties, half the house price as market 1 and 2, 15% annual appreciation and in a very low-income neighborhood. Should I consider it too?

I have been living in market 1 (Chamberi) for the past 6 months and market 2 (Tetúan) is 30 minutes walking from my house. Market 3 is on the other side of the city.

Market 1 has TWICE as many houses for sale than market 2, despite having the same population.

In Spain, income is much lower than in the US, the most expensive neighborhood has annual income of $57,000, so Market 1 (Chamberi) is on the very high side of the spectrum and Market 2 (Tetuan) in the middle.

In the city, vacancy rate is 6.3% and 82% of them are in good condition. There is a high home occupation problem and eviction laws are weak, this causes some homeowners to put their houses off the market.

In Spain the wholesaling market is very small and very few people know about it, there is however a recent upward trend in flippers, especially in Madrid.

In which of these markets should I invest and what variables should I use to decide the best area? Am I on the right track of analysis? 

I will greatly appreciate your responses and look forward to starting my investing carreer and become part of this amazing community!!!

0Reply
37 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen MoralesBusiness Member
    Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2025 · 402 posts · 205 votes
    1y

    Hi @Pablo Kursón López

    Congrats on getting started! 

    So both of these seem like good areas to work. I would ask which market are more investors actively buying and doing flips in and go with that market. 

    Personally I like option 2 as it seems like a great area to negotiate favorable offers as the value of that area has not been realized yet and you can assign your deals to up and coming investors in that area. Probably less competition too.

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Stephen @Stephen Morales !

    There is more investors in market 2 so I will go with that one.

    Thank you very much! I am very eager to start working in this field.

  • Investor · Barcelona & Valencia (Spain) · Member since 2017 · 322 posts · 177 votes
    1y

    Hi @Pablo Kursón López, nice to see you here. 

    We can be quick: both of these markets could work. 

    What is most important is your capability of getting undervalued deals and with little to no changes being able to sell them for a higher price. 

    If you don't have specific inside knowledge or contacts in any of these areas, just start getting to know agents which are usually the most easy ones to find. 

    So instead of giving you advice between the two areas (because I'm sure there are successful wholesalers in both of these areas) change your focus on how to become a successful wholesaler in general. 

    - Build up an agent network that sends over off-market deals

    - Team up with an experienced wholesaler in the area

    - Understand construction and easy methods to add value

    - Walk the streets and literally call every number that you see on buildings or even knock on doors with bad-looking properties

    - Go to local events or meetups to create a network and your personal name/brand

    And I could go on like this for some time. 

    Hope it helps

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi @Erwin Groenendijk! It surely helps, I will start moving in that direction, it sounds very good.

    Thank you very much.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Pablo Kursón López:

    Hi everyone! This is my first post here so I´ll try to be quick.

    I am starting my wholesaling carreer and first of all need to know what makes a market or neighborhood good for wholesaling. I live in Madrid, Spain and will invest here. I currently have 2 choices:

    Market 1: mid-high income area, very strong appreciation and rental demand but low rent yields due to high prices. Very desirable neighborhood, old houses (1900s-1980s) and great to live and invest for long-term growth. Houses very well kept and "luxury"

    - Average income is 50,000USD 

    - Annual appreciation for 2024 was 20.5%

    - Annual rental growth for 2024 was 11.9%

    - The price per square feet is $765

    - Average rental yield is 2.58%

    - 0.5% of houses need full renovation and 2.87% of houses need "some" renovation.

    - Unemployment rate is 5.24%

    - Houses for sale are 1,065 (similar population than Market 2). 174 houses in need of renovation (listed online)


    Market 2: middle income neighborhood, lots of new developments (by demolishing old houses and making new ones), it has twice as many inmigrants than market 1 and recently has been getting a lot of attention from investors. Old houses (1950s-1980s). Used to be a very bad area but it is now improving quickly.

    - Average income is 35,000USD

    - Annual appreciation for 2024 was 17%

    - Annual rental growth for 2024 was 11.4%

    - The price per square feet is $504

    - Average rental yield is 4.47%

    - 1.74% of houses need full renovation and 7.4% of houses need "some" renovation.

    - Unemployment rate is 7.29%

    - Houses for sale are 533 (similar population than Market 1). 105 houses in need of renovation (listed online)


    Further considerations: 

    Market 1 (Chamberi) has always been a prime area in Madrid, old buildings but with quality materials and high historical value. Market 2 (Tetuan) was built for low income families in the 50s-80s and has almost no historical value compared to Chamberi. There is also another Market, called Vallecas with slightly higher amount of distressed properties, half the house price as market 1 and 2, 15% annual appreciation and in a very low-income neighborhood. Should I consider it too?

    I have been living in market 1 (Chamberi) for the past 6 months and market 2 (Tetúan) is 30 minutes walking from my house. Market 3 is on the other side of the city.

    Market 1 has TWICE as many houses for sale than market 2, despite having the same population.

    In Spain, income is much lower than in the US, the most expensive neighborhood has annual income of $57,000, so Market 1 (Chamberi) is on the very high side of the spectrum and Market 2 (Tetuan) in the middle.

    In the city, vacancy rate is 6.3% and 82% of them are in good condition. There is a high home occupation problem and eviction laws are weak, this causes some homeowners to put their houses off the market.

    In Spain the wholesaling market is very small and very few people know about it, there is however a recent upward trend in flippers, especially in Madrid.

    In which of these markets should I invest and what variables should I use to decide the best area? Am I on the right track of analysis? 

    I will greatly appreciate your responses and look forward to starting my investing carreer and become part of this amazing community!!!



    You are missing critical pieces of information in option 1 & 2.

    Average Days on Market- If the clients you are targeting to sell to are "flippers" then a key statistic is average days on the market. Flippers do not want to work in markets where it takes forever to sell a property once the renovation is complete

    Appreciation- you mentioned appreciation for the other low-income markets but did not cover that in options 1 or 2. Investors, whether they are fix and flip or buy and hold will be evaluating if an area is going up in value, stagnant or going down.  For some buy and hold they will only be concerned with income generated from the properties, while others will be interested in areas where they can cash flow but also have the property value go up over time.


  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Crystal, thank you very much! I will look into those variables and factor them in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.