Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2024 · 35 posts · 19 votes
Hello BPs,
I am in process of closing an investment property. The lender is looking for proof of insurance/insurance. Is there any recommendations how much liability should I keep?
I am new to the investment and BP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am in process of closing an investment property. The lender is looking for proof of insurance/insurance. Is there any recommendations how much liability should I keep?
I am new to the investment and BP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Shak,
If this is a 1-4 family rental you have a couple of options for coverage:
1. Personal Lines: A Dwelling Fire policy is the most common way to cover the property. Limits include:
a. Building (look for Replacment Cost coverage and Special Perils)
b. Loss of Rents: Most policies will include a percentage of the building limit for loss of Rents. If that limit is not enough you should increase it
c. Contents: most policies will not include contents or a small limit. Go over the things you own with in the building (ie. removable appliances, lawn mower, etc.) to see what limit you need. Again, look for Replacment Cost coverage and Special Perils.
d. Detached structures (garage, shed, etc.) Most policies will include a percentage of the building limit for detached structures. If that limit is not enough you should increase it
e. Liability: purchase the maximum available and have them quote an umbrella above that if needed.
2. Commercial Lines: Two types of policies are common:
a. business owners policy
b. package policy
Discuss the commercial policies with your agent to see if there is any advantage to those for your situation. Generally the pricing is higher.