Flood insurance inquiry..need help with a quote

Flood insurance inquiry..need help with a quote

Investor · Allen, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 2 votes

My rental is located in McAllen, TX, but it's not in a flood zone.

I recently received a quote from a broker that seems competitive compared to others I’ve reviewed, so I’m hoping to get some feedback from those familiar with insurance products or companies.

The property is a fourplex — four units side by side with shared walls, and all units are two stories. Initially, the broker had selected “residential owner” as the property type, implying that I live there and rent out part of it. But I’ve never lived there. After correcting the property type to “rental,” the premium dropped significantly from around $1,400 to just over $500...for all 4 units.

The broker also sent me a screenshot showing how my property is classified. It’s listed as a condo with four units, not a multifamily, which he says is a different insurance product. I’ve always considered it a multifamily property, so this was a surprise.

Lastly, the flood policy he quoted is through Neptune, which I’ve never heard of. It sounds like a private insurer. My concern is whether they’re reliable — especially in the event of a catastrophe elsewhere. I don’t want to be dropped suddenly just because something happens in another part of the country or even near my rental.

Any feedback or experiences you can share would be appreciated! And if anyone wants to sell me a better and more competitive flood insurance pls PM me. 


0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 678 posts · 259 votes
    1y

    This is not rated correctly. Condo would be the selection for an owner of one unit of a condo.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Insurance Agent · United States · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 60 votes
    1y

    Hi Ron,

    After reviewing your situation more carefully, I have several important concerns about your insurance coverage that need to be addressed:

    Property Value Coverage Concerns

    If this property is indeed a fourplex with all four units being rentals under your ownership, insuring it for only $300,000 likely represents significant underinsurance. The replacement cost value is almost certainly higher, which could lead to problems if you need to file a claim.

    Personal Property Coverage

    I noticed $25,000 allocated for personal property coverage. Since this is a rental property, you typically wouldn't have personal belongings there that require coverage. This may be an unnecessary expense or misallocation of premium dollars.

    Loss of Rental Income

    While I see you have $20,000 in loss of rental income coverage (which is appropriate), be aware that activating this coverage typically requires documentation of your annual rent roll. The insurance company will need verification of your rental income to properly compensate you during repairs when the property cannot be rented.

    Prior Flood Damage Disclosure

    Most concerning is the potential non-disclosure of prior flood damage. If you've experienced previous flooding at this property and that information wasn't properly disclosed to Neptune Insurance, they could potentially deny a future claim. Insurance carriers consider prior losses critical information for underwriting flood policies.

    Expert Assistance Needed

    Most general insurance agents aren't specialists in flood insurance, which requires specific knowledge of NFIP guidelines and private market options. Improper coverage setup now could lead to significant financial exposure later.

    If you'd like help navigating these complexities and ensuring your property is properly protected, I'm happy to assist. Proper flood insurance is critical, especially for properties with prior flooding history.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.