Home owners insurance...Should I use different companies?

Home owners insurance...Should I use different companies?

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes

If I have all of my properties with one insurance company, can a claim on one property affect my other properties? If so, does having multiple companies eleviate that problem?

Thanks!

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Emil Heintzinger  I would call and ask your insurance company.  If you have more than one policy with an agency, you often get a discount.

  • Sam BrustPro Member
    Insurance · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Emil Heintzinger this is a question best asked of your insurance agent. Sometimes claims on one property can affect another property. Other times, it may not. However, spreading your properties across multiple carriers/agencies can be a paperwork and logistical nightmare. When applying for insurance, you are often asked if you have had a claim in the previous 3 years.

    If you have any other questions or would like some recommendations, please message me.

  • Insurance Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 370 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    Your claims will likely post to any company you get insurance through.  Also, if you have multiple companies not only is it an efficiency killer, but you could be losing out on discounts as well.

    Typically it depends on the type of claim that you have made.  Carriers treat claims differently, so there is no true "correct" answer.

    Going through a broker is what I always suggest because you will have the best possible ability to create a lasting agent relationship, maximize discounts, receive different quote options.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.