Is there a "rule" when/when not to file an insurance claim?

Is there a "rule" when/when not to file an insurance claim?

Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 4 votes

I fix and flip mainly in the inner city of Chicago. The positives to this is I get properties for substantially less than in the suburbs, and the pool of buyers is a bit wider. The major drawback is I have to deal with break-ins...a lot. Over the past 2 years, I've had 7 break-ins, each incident costing me an average of $10,000-15,000 in repairs (mainly stolen water heaters/hvac, copper pipes, fixtures, etc.). 

What do you suggest about filing insurance claims? I am afraid too many claims will increase the cost of my policies, and/or even have the insurance provider kick me out of insurance altogether, and perhaps even give me a bad name in the insurance provider circle. What do you all suggest? Is there a "golden rule of thumb" here ?


Unfortunately, break-ins are just a common occurrence in the neighborhoods I deal in.

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    I was originally going to say no, but I wasn't expecting that you would mention 7 5-figure incidents in 2 years. That is a lot of loss, and I would say you would probably come out ahead hiring security in that type of situation. Either a guard on the ground or some kind of high-tech electronic security. You are talking about almost $100k in losses - that's a lot of loss. If you filed those kinds of claims I would suspect you would be at risk of being dropped for not taking necessary precautions. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Jose LinaresPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    How many flips were involved with the 7 break-ins and how much is your deductible do you have on these policies?  With the amount of losses you are experiencing, I think @JD Martin has the best suggestion in hiring security.  

    How many flips are you taking on at any given time & what is the typical holding period?  Put those figures together and bring that information to multiple security companies for quotes.

    Filing a lot of claims in such a short period would definitely impact your premiums and finding coverage. If it does result in a non-renewal from your current carrier, all future carriers will still be able to see your loss run and quote the higher premium required to take on the risk.

    Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.