Is there a reasonable Knob and Tube Insurer?

Is there a reasonable Knob and Tube Insurer?

Bukka LevyPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes

I'm being quoted for insurance upwards of $1500/yr because of partial knob and tube wiring. Anyone got an insurer who is knob and tube friendly?

0Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
5y

If they truly are insuring the home with knob and tube, and for only $1,500 you got a steal. But it makes me nervous as almost nobody will do it.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    In Florida, I don't think any traditional company will write a home with knob and tube wiring.   For that, you have to go to the surplus lines market (high risk).  Depending on property value, $1500 sounds like a good rate.  

    Without any knob and tube I have 8 properties, average value 180K, average property insurance $1365.  Florida is or close to the highest cost property insurance market in the nation because of windstorm risk.

    That said, knob and tube is not good.   We had that in 2 structures, it was a single 30A circuit for all outlets and ceiling lights.   While the attic distribution wire was sufficient for 30A, the feeder lines were not.   It's a real hazard.   We re-wired and updated the electric panel right after purchase.

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    If they truly are insuring the home with knob and tube, and for only $1,500 you got a steal. But it makes me nervous as almost nobody will do it.

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    I’m seeing this response in more places than one. It’s strange to me because I’ve owned several homes with knob and tube, as it’s pretty common where I live, and have never had a problem getting a policy or with rates.

    Genuinely makes thing quite confusing. I have to assume this is due to different experiences in different states.

    This is my first deal in Ohio, which is partly why I was caught off guard, but even my agent was surprised I was having a difficult time as they do many of these types of home with no problems.


  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Update: I was able to find a policy for under $1k from a local broker. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bukka Levy:

    I'm being quoted for insurance upwards of $1500/yr because of partial knob and tube wiring. Anyone got an insurer who is knob and tube friendly?

     Call pretty much any insurance provider and usually they won't ask. Allstate, state farm, farmers, anybody.

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    They won't ask, but if there is a fire or other claim due to it they will deny it. 

    Mind me asking which carrier insured it for that. I am always looking to add companies to our portfolio and if they did that I need access to them!

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson the first two I tried asked immediately - State Farm & NREIG

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Bukka Levy I used to know one, but he died in 1952. Jesus man, get rid of that sketchy sh*t.

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Lol, relax man, I don’t have the property yet.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    $1,500 doesn't seem awful but my guy at State Farm might be able to get you a better rate @Bukka Levy. 

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Zeke Liston but I was able to find a policy under $1k. After I close this I’ll revisit the policy as well as updating the electrical.

    I realize I should’ve consulted here way earlier.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bukka Levy:

    Thanks @Zeke Liston but I was able to find a policy under $1k. After I close this I’ll revisit the policy as well as updating the electrical.

    I realize I should’ve consulted here way earlier.

    Well done! 

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Zeke, State Farm can't do knob and tube as a heads up.

    Also what carrier were you able to get to write it with knob and tube?

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Originally I got a quote from NREIG, but in the end I went with don't ask don't tell.

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Ah ok that makes sense now. Didn’t think someone would do knob and tube for that price. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.