Investing in a condo as a long term rental

Investing in a condo as a long term rental

Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Daniel and I’m looking to invest in real estate to diversify and generate cash flow. While I’m not a newbie, I own two condos as long term rentals, I live overseas and thus my real estate experience is overseas. I’m unable to invest in areas familiar to me as I’m priced out of suburban NJ where I was born and raised.

I’m looking to spend $150-$180K on a condo and will need to research viable areas. While I understand the risks associated with investing in areas unfamiliar to you, my budget forces me to do so. Am I correct that a condo, depending on area and neighborhood, could be a lower risk/maintenance investment for an absentee landlord as opposed to other properties? While I am seeking cash flow and capital appreciation (who isn’t?), I really need to keep it simple and minimize risk since I live abroad. A low maintenance condo rentable to good tenants sounds like a good starting point to me.

I’m 56 and reasonably setup for retirement, so real estate is a stabilizing diversifier for me. My first deal would be all cash, and if all goes well, maybe a year or two later another deal with some financing. As a first step, I’ll print and read The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing. Later I might read The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner, but I need to be wary of succumbing to analysis paralysis.

Any advice/comments regarding my focus on condos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Daniel

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    Congrats on achieving a comfortable financial situation.

    Condos are actually riskier than single family rentals.  Just google the following:

    - special assessment

    - zombie condos

    - Florida condos (look for recent news)

    Since you are not living near the properties anyways, why not look in a landlord friendly state where the purchase prices are lower?

    On another note, I don't like the idea of paying all-cash.  Not only does it hurt the returns, it is a very attractive target for ambulance-chasing lawyers and title fraud.  

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Thanks much for your reply.  I'll Google those items and see what I find.

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 877 posts · 398 votes
    1y

    I'd recommend looking for a house versus a condo. Condo's usually have high HOA dues which will eat into your cash flow. And a condo can take longer to sell when you exit compared to a detached home. I think most people would agree that a single family home is better than a condo for a long term rental. You can still find good homes out there below $200K.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.