How do you travel around?

How do you travel around?

Member since 2020 · 217 posts · 167 votes

How do you travel? For trips less than 200 miles or so, seems like most people just drive. The airlines suck and the hassle has led a lot of us to just buy our own planes or charter a plane (MUCH easier travel).

But owning your own plane can get pricey and looking into  chartering with Net Jets or comparable operations. They can provide a LOT of travel just for the cost of our pilot and insurance with our own plane, regardless of the other expenses. Anyone with experience in the jet charter companies? Goods and bads.

0Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Steve Smith

    Hi Steve,

    I probably have less of an answer, and more of an analysis for you...

    I was watching a video recently by an aviation journalist (not just some random individual) and he was analyzing the variable cost of owning a small private jet.  The video in question was for a single engine Cirrus Vision Jet.

    I wasn't taking notes or anything, but if I recall correctly the variable cost of just maintaining the jet, along with fuel expense was about $1,000/hour for 250 hours of use/year, and about $1,300 per hour for 50 hours per year.  This DID NOT include buying the $2-3 million jet, or a pilot (the presumption in the video was you as the owner would be the pilot).

    I think it might come down to how many people you fly with when you travel?  For 1-2 people, this expense gets pretty high... but if you are dividing by 6 or 8 on a fractional basis, maybe it starts to make more sense.  The numbers I recall seeing from the fractional ownership companies was around $2,500/hour.  So for a 5 hour trip from say Florida to maybe California you are probably talking $25,000 round trip.  That's a chunk of change for a single trip for 2. But for 8 people you are talking $3,000/person for that first class experience... probably closer to comparable to first class with a regular airline.   If you are talking about a private jet like first mentioned, you are still talking $13,000 for the variable costs of that trip before paying for the plane or a pilot for a plane that carries a pilot plus 5.  For Jet travel, by the time you factor in buying the plane and getting a pilot, I don't think you are saving anything owning your own small jet; and you run the risk of some major expenses should something big need to be replaced.

    The thing I have always heard is that if you aren't flying a jet 150 hours a year, it isn't worth it (it's too expensive).  Many will put their jet out for charter to help offset that expense (ie. maximize it's usage)

    Again, probably less of an answer, and more of an analysis.

    Hope it provided some food for thought!

    Randy

  • Member since 2020 · 217 posts · 167 votes
    1y
    Randy,
    Thx for the info. I'm currently sharing a Citation 5 with a colleague, and the cost is every bit of what you say. He flies a lot more than I do with his business and customers and has the need, so he picks up the bulk of the costs (we share costs on hours used). And sometimes we fight over who gets the plane, and getting it for several weeks for a long trip doesn't work well. It's also more plane than I need, but relatively cheap considering he pays the bulk of the cost. Downside is operating costs is high because it's older, but a very comfortable plane. Still cheaper and better than charter. Just wondering if Net Jets, Flex Jet and others offer better options.
    A small, newer plane like the Vision, just doesn't make financial sense. Just the fixed costs of the plane, hangar, pilot, etc. is mind blowing.
    After having this kind of travel, I'll NEVER go back to the airlines, other than a rare international flight.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.