Out-of-State Investor - Need Feedback and Advice
Hey BP community,
I’m a California-based investor looking to build a long-term out-of-state portfolio in the Midwest. I’ve narrowed down my focus to three markets for now:
Milwaukee (WI), Columbus (OH), and parts of Michigan (open to cities like Grand Rapids, Lansing, or suburbs of Detroit).
I’m at the stage of interviewing investor-friendly realtors and would love to hear how you screen and vet agents in these markets. My goal is to buy 1–2 buy-and-hold properties this year, then scale gradually.
Here’s what I’m asking realtors so far:
• Do you work with out-of-state investors regularly?
• Are you an investor yourself or familiar with analyzing deals?
• Can you help me with rent comps, cap rates, and neighborhood breakdowns (A-D class)?
• Do you have a network of reliable property managers, lenders, inspectors, or contractors?
• What areas do you recommend (or avoid) for long-term rentals in your market?
• How responsive are you, and what’s your communication style?
• Can you send me sample deals or recent investor purchases you’ve worked on?
What am I missing? What other questions or red flags should I watch out for?
My Current Approach (Open to Feedback):
• Focused on Milwaukee, Columbus, and Michigan for affordability and rent-to-price ratios
• Interviewing 3–5 realtors in each market
• Gathering referrals from BP, Facebook groups, and local investor meetups
• Asking for CMAs, past deals, and insight on ideal zip codes for cash flow
• Tracking all interactions in a spreadsheet to rate professionalism, experience, and communication
Would love feedback on how I can improve my process—especially as a long-distance investor trying to build strong relationships with boots-on-the-ground partners.
If you’ve invested in any of these markets, I’d also appreciate your take on:
• Best neighborhoods to invest in (or avoid)
• Local challenges or surprises
• Team-building tips specific to your experience
Thanks in advance! Appreciate any advice, referrals, or feedback you’re willing to share. I’m here to learn and make smart, intentional moves.
