Hello everyone, I am a Ca resident but buying turn key properties in OKC, and will retire out that way at some point. My dream is to transition into a fulltime investor and live in OK. Right now my Ca income is supporting this new venture. I am currently building my contact list of possible teams such as lenders, agents, property management, insurance company and GC - tradesmen.
I am also seeking a mentor. I believe a mentor is most important so if anyone has a recommendation as to how you find a mentor that would be very appreciative. This is actually my first day on Biggerpockets website. I have listen to many YT videos which has spiked my motivation in to stepping things up from turn key to the complete investor.
Anyone in OKC please reach out if you can help me out here. Thanks!
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
6mo
Thomas, welcome to BP community. One good way to find a mentor is by joining a local REIA Facebook group in the OKC area. Those groups usually have active investors, meetups and networking opportunities where you can build relationships and potentially connect with someone experienced who is willing to guide you.
Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
6mo
Welcome to BiggerPockets, Tom. For someone investing out of state, building a strong local team is one of the most important things you can do early on. A good property manager, investor-friendly agent, and a few reliable contractors will make a huge difference when you’re managing properties from California.
As far as finding a mentor, the best approach is usually getting involved in the local investor community. Many markets have REIA groups, local meetups, or investor networking events. Spend time listening, asking questions, and getting to know who’s actually doing deals in that market. In my experience, the best “mentors” usually develop naturally through relationships with experienced investors rather than through formal mentorship arrangements.
One practical thing investors sometimes miss when buying rentals in a new state is understanding the local insurance environment. Oklahoma properties, especially in the OKC area, often have underwriting considerations around wind, hail, and roof age that can impact both coverage options and premiums. Those factors can affect your numbers more than people expect.
After working with real estate investors on rental property insurance for over 25 years, I’ve seen that the investors who transition successfully to full-time investing usually build strong local relationships first, then scale once their team is solid.
Welcome to BiggerPockets, Tom. For someone investing out of state, building a strong local team is one of the most important things you can do early on. A good property manager, investor-friendly agent, and a few reliable contractors will make a huge difference when you’re managing properties from California.
As far as finding a mentor, the best approach is usually getting involved in the local investor community. Many markets have REIA groups, local meetups, or investor networking events. Spend time listening, asking questions, and getting to know who's actually doing deals in that market. In my experience, the best "mentors" usually develop naturally through relationships with experienced investors rather than through formal mentorship arrangements.
One practical thing investors sometimes miss when buying rentals in a new state is understanding the local insurance environment. Oklahoma properties, especially in the OKC area, often have underwriting considerations around wind, hail, and roof age that can impact both coverage options and premiums. Those factors can affect your numbers more than people expect.
After working with real estate investors on rental property insurance for over 25 years, I’ve seen that the investors who transition successfully to full-time investing usually build strong local relationships first, then scale once their team is solid.
Tom, welcome to BP, and congrats on getting started. Using your CA income to build rentals in more affordable markets is a smart move. If you’re open to looking outside OKC as well, a lot of out-of-state investors are having success in Midwest markets where prices are lower, and cash flow is easier to hit. The Midwest cities still have duplexes and small multis that work well for buy-and-hold, especially with a solid boots-on-the-ground team. Honestly, finding a mentor often just comes from building relationships with active investors and local operators in the market you choose, so you’re already on the right track by being here and connecting.
Hey Thomas - how are you finding deals in the OKC area? The MLS? Or are you finding off-market deals somehow?
I just started buying rentals in 2025, turnkey. The house is already renovated and leased out. All I do is go on the Investors website, pick a house then show up for the closing. In the near future I will use an agent to help me find deals, then use a crew to renovate it and a property management company to rent it.
Hello everyone, I am a Ca resident but buying turn key properties in OKC, and will retire out that way at some point. My dream is to transition into a fulltime investor and live in OK. Right now my Ca income is supporting this new venture. I am currently building my contact list of possible teams such as lenders, agents, property management, insurance company and GC - tradesmen.
I am also seeking a mentor. I believe a mentor is most important so if anyone has a recommendation as to how you find a mentor that would be very appreciative. This is actually my first day on Biggerpockets website. I have listen to many YT videos which has spiked my motivation in to stepping things up from turn key to the complete investor.
Anyone in OKC please reach out if you can help me out here. Thanks!
Tom
One thing I'd encourage you to think about as you move beyond turnkey properties is understanding what drives demand at the neighborhood level. A lot of out-of-state investors focus on the property itself, but long-term performance is usually driven by job growth, population trends, rent-to-price ratios, and whether local wages support the rents you're projecting. What specifically attracted you to OKC over the other markets that out-of-state investors commonly target?