Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
1mo
Quote from @Elliott Beckstrom:
Hey!
I'm looking at a few properties in Louisiana right now and am curious if anyone has experience investing from out of state there.
I understand the legal system runs differently than most states in the US and am curious how people have navigated that.
Also open to introductions for property mangers and insurance brokers down there if anyone has recommendations.
Please let me know!
Thank you,
I’d be careful jumping into Louisiana remotely without having the right local team in place. The legal and insurance side alone can make a big difference in your numbers, so I’d get those answers before going under contract. If you’re open to other Midwest markets, Ohio is worth comparing too. You can still find affordable properties with solid rental demand, and having reliable boots on the ground makes the out-of-state strategy much easier.
Those are risks investing remotely anywhere, that's why I'm asking if anyone has experience doing it in Louisiana and whether they have any recommendations.
Real Estate Consultant · Wylie, TX · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 6 votes
2w
I invest in the New Orleans and Slidell market, so here is the Louisiana-specific part. Yes, the civil law system is real and it touches your deals. Successions, title chains, and contract language all work a little differently than common-law states. The practical move: get a Louisiana real estate attorney on your team before you go under contract, not after. They handle closings there and they will catch the things an out-of-state title company misses.
Two budget items that surprise remote investors. First, insurance. Louisiana premiums run hot because of hurricane exposure, and flood zone status swings the numbers hard. Pull the FEMA flood map on every address before you underwrite, and get an actual insurance quote during diligence, not after. Second, property management. Ask candidates how many doors they run in your specific parish and how they handled the last storm season. The answers tell you everything.
Do that homework and Louisiana is very workable remotely. Skip it and the surprises eat your returns.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2w
Elliott, for an out-of-state purchase in Louisiana, I’d put local team quality ahead of almost everything else.
I actually went to college in Louisiana, so I’m familiar with how different the state can feel compared with many other parts of the country, especially once you get into real estate, insurance, and local processes.
The legal system and closing process can feel different from what investors are used to in other states, so I’d want a Louisiana real estate attorney or title professional involved early, especially around title, leases, ownership structure, and anything unusual in the purchase contract.
For the property itself, I’d be conservative on insurance, flood exposure, maintenance, vacancy, and property management. When you’re investing remotely, the deal needs enough margin to support professional management without depending on you to solve problems from another state.
I’d also interview the property manager before buying, not afterward. Ask how many doors they manage nearby, their leasing timeline, maintenance markup, inspection process, delinquency procedures, communication standards, and how frequently you receive owner statements.
From the tax side, owning Louisiana rental property while living elsewhere can create a Louisiana nonresident filing obligation because the rental income is sourced to the state. I'd also think through the ownership structure before closing rather than adding an LLC later and having to unwind lender, title, or insurance issues.
For a first remote property, I’d rather see a simpler deal with dependable management and conservative cash flow than a higher projected return that needs constant oversight.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over a few resources that might help you evaluate an out-of-state rental.