Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/dec/09/banks-press-changes-strict-2011-foreclosure-law/ This article was published in the Las Vegas Sun today. Nevada's part time legislature meets again in 2013, but will addressing the consequences of AB284 be a top priority? I know many investors and people involved in the real estate industry hope for changes to the law in order to solve the artificial shortage caused by the law. However, I'm not sure there is political will to make that happen yet. Supporters of the law will argue it's benefitted Nevada home owners by increasing sale prices. What do you think?
San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 0 votes
13y
Hi Phillip - this is my first post on BP so I figure why not make it on a really complex topic I barely know anything about. Good idea right?
I'm actually trying to come out of hibernation - have a couple outstanding offers on some short sales in Reno for the first time since before the meltdown, and what really struck me is how similar the effects of AB284 are to the rent control ordinances in my home town of San Francisco.
In both cases the legislation's goal is the protection of those who are more vulnerable, but with some significant unintended consequences. In aggregate one could argue the effects are positive (and for which it's likely on objective answer really exists - it kind of depends on your political and social philosophy), but at the micro level you get a lot of the winners and losers, and where your position as a winner or loser is dictated more by specific sets of circumstances rather than your "role" as say a property owner, landlord, tenant, forclosee, etc.
If you're not paying your mortgage and you happened to have gotten it through Chase which securitized it and it's subsequently been resold multiple times and now no one can get to all the right paperwork to foreclose on you, you win!
If you own a property and you see prices moving up, you win! Unless you happen to have the misfortune of being sandwiched between 2 houses owned by people who are in the middle of a foreclosure limbo and maybe no longer care about maintaining their property so you have to stare at their deteriorating houses every morning when you go to work. In that case, you lose.
Basically - just like being a renter in SF, it becomes sort of a roll of the dice whether AB284 is a good or bad thing for you as an individual.
I won't comment on whether there is or is not political will to alter the law in 2013. I just have no idea... what I will say is that supply is supply, whether it's affected by an artificial shortage or not - and I would be really nervous about any dramatic alterations to that supply whatever the reason. If the trend continues where NODs and subsequently foreclosures will continue to creep up even under the current regime and let's say hypothetically stabilize at 2200 per month (about 50% of what it was prior to AB284) maybe a "soft landing" will just organically happen over time - it'll take a little longer to sort out - but the jarring effects of having another wild supply and price swing would be somewhat averted.
property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
13y
I think its too early to tell what the politico's are going to do. There is obviously pressure being applied by the banks to loosen the strict filing requirements. With the hedge funds ready to spend billions, it would make sense to relax the law a bit so the properties absorb while the buyers are flush with cash. It will be interesting to watch.
Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
13y
Eric French Thanks for the thoughtful response. It can be difficult to look at issues like these while working in the trenches. Taking a step back and looking at the big picture isn't always possible.
Tiger M. It will be fun to watch! How much can/will they absorb in each individual market is the question.
New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 253 posts · 7 votes
13y
Phillip, although I am from the NY area and do not know much about Nevada politics/real estate I have a question on the subject. With the elections behind us is there going to be a shift from one party to another that could sway what happens with this legislation?
Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
13y
Marc Bodinger That's a great question. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of our legislature or how the election has impacted it. I can say that the governor and attorney general who supported the legislation are still with us. The AG does have some egg on her face with a recent article talking about potential conflict of interest in her pursuit of Lender Processing Services. I'm not sure if this will have any influence on the AB284 situation.
New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 253 posts · 7 votes
13y
The only politician I know in NV is Harry Reid, has he made in case for either side of this legislation. I just went through the article a second time and do you know how many properties or dollar value of the real estate that may be affected?
Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
13y
I am certainly worried about it. But sooner or later, it will happen.
A WSJ article is saying that white house is going to replace Demarco
because he is blocking the principal deduction advocated by the administration. If the administration can get the massive principal deduction going next year, it will be a reasonable timing for AB284 to be relaxed.
Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
13y
Marc Bodinger Harry is a Senator for the federal government from Nevada. He's not a state government Senator. However, I'm sure he still has a lot of sway.
The Las Vegas metro is a nation leader in mortgage loan delinquency, so we're talking big numbers. Tens of thousands of homes. Some reports say as many as 50,000-75,000.
property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
13y
This may help, AB283 and 284 are both in litigation and we will need to see that outcome. Our state legislature is in a transition due to term limits that expired. I believe there are 42 newbies with sizable learning curves. [/url]http://tradewindvegas.wordpress.com/?p=403&preview=true[url]
Real Estate Broker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
13y
AB284 is up for reconsideration right now (Feb 2013).
We are experiencing low inventory here in Las Vegas. The decrease is a direct result from AB284 that has caused banks to stop foreclosing. Since it was passed in Oct. of 2011, REO inventory has decreased dramatically. The bill is up for reconsideration (possibly adding some amendments to allow some types of foreclosures to resume) when the Legislature meets again in Feb. 2013. It will be interesting to see the new affects on the market once additional inventory is reintroduced. I for one think the market will soften slightly but not free fall like it was before. Right now, with inventory being as low as it is, buyers are in bidding wars often times competing with more than a dozen offers. With that being said people are paying above appraisal value and homes are appreciating again at a temporary rate that is way higher than it should be. A new wave of inventory would return the Vegas market back to healthy growth with perhaps 2 or 3 offers on each property, not a dozen.
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Phillip Dwyer:
I know many investors and people involved in the real estate industry hope for changes to the law in order to solve the artificial shortage caused by the law.
There was a related question regarding California’s Homeowner's Bill of Rights here. If there’s a relationship between the number of foreclosures and inventory for sale on the market, I don’t see it.
Whether the banks are now able to foreclose more easily or not, they've been pretty clear they would rather work privately with homeowners through workout agreements, short sales, and the like. It's better public relations. In fact, some months ago the largest REO brokers in southern California were explicitly told by the major banks to fold up the tent. As we now know, this wasn't a bluff.
It’s been 10 or 12 months since the dramatic drop in inventories and the subsequent rise in prices out here (and I assume Nevada). I’m not sure if this is a coincidence with the increase in foreign and hedge fund demand or brilliant market manipulation by the banks, but recent price increases have certainly reduced short sale losses. Plus, the banks clearly got bloody noses in the court of public opinion due to foreclosing’s and they know it. Hence, HBoR and AB284.
Just because it's easier for banks to foreclose if the AB284 is rescinded, doesn't mean they will. And if they will, history shows it doesn't mean they’ll release the inventory to investors anyway.
I’d file this under the same wishful thinking where everyone thought there’d be a landslide of properties released after the 1st of the year.
Real Estate Broker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
13y
Jeff S the lack of foreclosures due to AB 284 has had a direct and dramatic affect on the inventory. We went from having over 5,000 REO's hitting the market each month to under 500. There is no denying that this decrease in supply is a direct result of AB 284.
There are thousands of vacant or abandoned homes that will have to get foreclosed on as the owners have walked for various reasons. We will see an increase in foreclosures due to this as well as many other factors.
The market will soften but I believe it is necessary to return our market back to healthy appreciation and a more balanced market. Last year some neighborhoods saw appreciation as high as 25%. This is not healthy and they are numbers that we have not heard since the bubble days.
I think the new demand being way higher than a few years ago with help absorb these new properties as they become available so we don't see another dip in prices. But I also hope it softens the market enough to do away with these bidding wars that are driving up prices and making it difficult to find good deals.