Request: Better search functionality

Request: Better search functionality

Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

BP is a great resource that I am relying on more and more for direction on many questions.

I have noticed recently that when searching for a topic like lending (not purchasing) with an IRA, I get hundreds of results with the vast majority totally unrelated to my specific question. Moreover, the "Related Forum Discussions" suggestions are never even close to my topic. (For example, on this one I get "Thoughts on moderation functionality," "Automating my processes to streamline management," and "Commercial blanket loans for SFHs")

Because of the poor search functionality, we get dozens, if not hundreds of redundant posts, making BP less, not more, effective as a tool.

Is there anything in the works to improve this?

Many thanks and keep up the good work!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
12y

You can use google to search the site.  Include "site:biggerpockets.com" in the search string on google and it will limit the search to just biggerpockets.com.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 922 posts · 336 votes
    12y

    Bigger Pockets is becoming the Google for real estate investors.   

    I get the same issue when I search for an answer that I am looking for.   The best thing I can tell you is to go through the thread.   You will eventually find the answer you are looking for.  

    Good Luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    You can use google to search the site.  Include "site:biggerpockets.com" in the search string on google and it will limit the search to just biggerpockets.com.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    In case you're wondering, I usually do exactly as @Jon Holdman just described by using Google to search BP, except I add "/forums" to the site part so I just get forum results. 

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jon Holdman 

    Are you suggesting that I'll have better luck using Google to search BP than the built in search?

    Didn't think of that, but good tip.  It certainly suggests that the site could use a search upgrade.

    Thanks much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    Search is REALLY hard.  Google does it well and that's why they're the big dog.  I try the built in function first, but if I don't quickly find what I'm looking for I jump over to google and use the site: operator and usually find what I'm looking for.  Not just biggerpockets, but in general.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.