Need More Income to qualify

Need More Income to qualify

Savannah, GA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 0 votes

I have a friend that owns a home in Californian. He bought it when the market was up and now it is upside down, he owes more than it's worth because of the current market.

Instead of selling it for a lost, he plans to take advantage of the cheaper selling homes in this economy and buy another home to rent. The income from the rent will some how off set his upside down payment.

The problem he faces, is that is current income/debt ratio will not qualify him for enough money to buy the property he wants, because he is still paying on his current home so with the new property thats two mortgage payment. He wanted to include the potiental rent from the new property as income, but his realitor told him he could not, because it has to be income claimed on his taxes.

I am not so sure about this, because I had qualify back in 2001 for a new loan using the potiental income from my house that I was still living in. I think I had to show a signed lease at closing for my house.

Has the rules changed? How can he qualify for this second home?

0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Pasco, WA · Member since 2010 · 48 posts · 3 votes
    16y

    I just want to be sure I understand what you are saying: This person wants to purchase a lower priced house to rent so he can afford the house he lives in? If that is the case, it is a very risky proposal. I would advise that person to be VERY careful in doing this because what if there are vacant months. They already can't pay for their first home how will they cover a vacancy for a month or 2? There are reasons that there are generally limits on the debt to income ratio for real estate purchases. I don't think I answered the question on how he can qualify, but I would think hard about it before going forward with it.

    Brandon Gadish

  • Real Estate Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2009 · 93 posts · 26 votes
    16y

    Suzette,

    If he really wants additional income coming in, he can wholesale houses (buy them "as is" and sell them "as is"). Also, he can buy houses from sellers directly and do owner financing. He does not need a bank loan to buy houses and he can rent them out.

    Right now, with banks getting tighter with their lending and underwriting guidelines, your friend has no chance to get qualified for a loan to buy a rental property specially with his house being upside down.

    I always tell beginning investors that they should learn how to buy houses without using cash or credit. Doing so reduces their risk and allows them to buy more houses without being limited by banks. If you need help on how to do this, let's connect.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.