title search question

title search question

Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes

When purchasing a foreclosure at the auction how do you guys perform the title search? Do you hire a title company or do it yourself? I'm not educated enough to perform the search myself.

I feel that if I hire a title company then I could be wasting money on the search because I've done a few test runs on properties only to find out that the owner has claimed bankruptcy or has settled with the lender when I arrived at the courthouse. Now if I hired a company to perform the title search on these properties, then I would be out that money. So basically here are my questions:

1) How do you perform a title search for the foreclosure property?

2) How long does a title search take if performed by a title company?

Thanks
Pete

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    I had those same questions....Did anyone ever give you a response?

  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    15y

    No one in last 5 years :).

    You can order a title search on internet without an title company, cost you 100 bucks for each propertie and takes 2-3 days depending on state and county.

    Try "afx title company" on google and take first result.

    -Uwe

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    If these are new foreclosures being auctioned at the courthouse steps, your best option is to just pay for a limited title search before you bid. If you don't win the bid (or if the house is pulled from the auction), you're out some money, but it's better than buying a house with unexpected liens...

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 38 votes
    15y

    I've never bought at the courthouse steps, but I often use courthousedirect.com for title searches. Cost is about $5 per document downloaded. Has really come in handy for me, especially on Sub 2 deals. It's also a great resource if title hasn't come back yet on a deal that you're wholesaling and you want to begin marketing the property ASAP.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Geeez Steve, that's a days worth of reading! LOL

    Part of the foreclosure process is running title before it goes to the steps. The sale is scheduled and the Trustee/attorney conducting the sale (or in my case Trustee) will usually be there a few minutes before the sale. Ask around. They should have a copy of the search.

    If they do not do that in your area, you can have a preliminary search done, if you do alot of business with the title company, that's a favor.
    It's not a complete search, just from the date of the last transaction.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Geeez Steve, that's a days worth of reading! LOL

    ...


    Anybody planning to buy in this manner SHOULD spend WELL OVER 1 day learning the ins and outs - so I probably didn't supply ENOUGH reading above! :wink:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    ... you can have a preliminary search done, if you do alot of business with the title company, that's a favor.
    It's not a complete search, just from the date of the last transaction.

    Bad idea to only do a search since last transaction. Yeah, you'll get a title policy, but I see title issues that go back well before the last transaction. I have seen this both before Sheriff Sale, and after Sheriff Sale where a property is REO and can't close because the bank has to get title issues fixed.

    The only time I would say that a title search from last transaction is acceptable is when you KNOW there was a FULL search just before that last transaction. Like when you buy a property to flip, you do a full search on your buy, and then your buyer can just have the search from last transaction (especially when same title company gets used for both transactions).

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Geeez Steve, that's a days worth of reading! LOL

    ...


    Anybody planning to buy in this manner SHOULD spend WELL OVER 1 day learning the ins and outs - so I probably didn't supply ENOUGH reading above! :wink:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    ... you can have a preliminary search done, if you do alot of business with the title company, that's a favor.
    It's not a complete search, just from the date of the last transaction.

    Bad idea to only do a search since last transaction. Yeah, you'll get a title policy, but I see title issues that go back well before the last transaction. I have seen this both before Sheriff Sale, and after Sheriff Sale where a property is REO and can't close because the bank has to get title issues fixed.

    The only time I would say that a title search from last transaction is acceptable is when you KNOW there was a FULL search just before that last transaction. Like when you buy a property to flip, you do a full search on your buy, and then your buyer can just have the search from last transaction (especially when same title company gets used for both transactions).

    LOL, yes, I agree there should be more reading before a newbie jumps in. Just meant that was alot of info....I know you'll forgive me if I didn't go through it.

    By the last transaction, I mean from the date the property was sold, to the borrower who was foreclosed upon and forward to date. I don't really care prior to that since it was insured, not my problem. While they could go back to the Louisiana Purchase in my area or to Queen Isabella, for a policy I doubt that's what you will get. It's good enough for me. :lol:

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    15y

    The professional investors here don't check title until the day of the auction, when the trustee identifies which properties are actually going to be for sale. Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time. As for how you check title, you should have a title agent on your team, because you will be checking title for a lot of properties.

  • Debary, FL · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Can anyone tell me is there a way to find out the mortgage / loan Out Standing Balance on the property. it's easy to know the Loan amount issued. but what about the remaining balance? that should be an important factor on decision making?

  • Haymarket, VA · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Barry:

    Can anyone tell me is there a way to find out the mortgage / loan Out Standing Balance on the property. it's easy to know the Loan amount issued. but what about the remaining balance? that should be an important factor on decision making?

    John, I've asked the same question on the following thread and got some good responses:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/1964...

    The short answer seems to be "no" but please do let us know if you find a way...

    I would love to sign a petition to a bill/law which would release mortgage payoff information to licensed authorized parties such as investor LLCs or real estate agents.  I just don't think that there are enough investors in the country which could form a critical mass to push such a bill through Congress.

    Originally posted by @Bill G.:

    I would agree with you Bill.  As long as I see a Deed transfer from one unrelated party to another (usually the foreclosing party) it can be assumed that the lender did a full title search before issuing a multi-$100,000 loan.  It it an assumption?  Yes, but a reasonable one.  I did purchase a property recently which had a un-satisfied Deed of Trust which went back before the last arms-length Deed transfer (2 owners prior).  My title company caught it, called the lender of that Trust but was unsuccessful in reaching them (they went out of business).  We were able to proceed with my purchase due to the inactivity of the lender of that trust and the title insurer willing to insure title over that hiccup.

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 0 votes
    7y
     I have a question about repository properties. I’m looking at some in montgomery county. They show the property info by parcel number which I’m sure you already aware of. My question is when I click in the parcel number it dose be me pic of the land or property. If you don’t mind sending me your email I can better explain through pictures.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
     I have a question about repository properties. I’m looking at some in montgomery county. They show the property info by parcel number which I’m sure you already aware of. My question is when I click in the parcel number it dose be me pic of the land or property. If you don’t mind sending me your email I can better explain through pictures.

    Here is the link to the Montgomery County PA Tax Claim Bureau repository list:

    https://www.montcopa.org/2616/Repository-Sale

    The parcel number is not a hyperlink, and no photo shows up even when I hover over it.

    You would have to copy and paste the parcel number (or type it) into the tax assessor site to see whatever photo(s) the tax assessor has. Maybe Zillow or Google can do something more too. If you are seeing a photo, you probably are using some additional web browser plug-in that is giving you that, and I have no idea what or how to use it.

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Sorry I wrote it wrong . I meant when I click on the parcel number which is a link like you said , it doesn’t  give me the address, only the street name. So far I just know it’s a lot. After reading you message I went to the tax accessor site and they game me a little more info . Here is the info they gave me.  I’m going to try google earth and input the parcel number in to see if I can get a actual picture of the property.

    TaxMapID30199 072
    Parid30-00-57076-00-8
    Land Use Code2101
    Land Use DescriptionR - RES VAC LAND UNDER 5000 SQ FT
    Property LocationROBINSON AVE
    Lot #901
    Lot Size3125 SF
    Front Feet25
    MunicipalityABINGTON
    School DistrictABINGTON
    UtilitiesNONE//
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed - that one you just posted is only a lot. And a lot of the repository properties are just going to be vacant lots, or mobile homes that don't have any land. And many of the lots do not meet zoning requirements to be able to build anything there - some are just a place to grow vegetation.

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Let’s say if I wanted to see what the lot looks like ( just saying ) is there anyway I can find out . I looked at tax leins in Alabama before and they gave all the lot info pic and everything.Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    @Account Closed - that one you just posted is only a lot. And a lot of the repository properties are just going to be vacant lots, or mobile homes that don't have any land. And many of the lots do not meet zoning requirements to be able to build anything there - some are just a place to grow vegetation.

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Number:51-00-00738-48-9
    Deed Book - Page:6110-00477
    Name:M&M REALTY PROPERTIES INC
    Address:104 MUIRFIELD DR
    BLUE BELL PA 19422
    Location:2037 CODY LN
    District:Skippack (Township)
    Description:SINGLE FAMILY
    Assessed Value:151,540
    This property came up but now it says no taxes due , could it be because they updated , it’s a nice big house Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    @Account Closed - that one you just posted is only a lot. And a lot of the repository properties are just going to be vacant lots, or mobile homes that don't have any land. And many of the lots do not meet zoning requirements to be able to build anything there - some are just a place to grow vegetation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.