How to Research

How to Research

Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes

...without leaving your office.

A fellow BP poster sent me this via email:

I thought the response would make for an excellent post. Mind you, some of you may not be able to do some of what you find below, depending on your government's use of the internet.

Our county and local governments have recently come out of the stone ages and gone internet savvy. Thus, I can quickly get the following from their various sites:

From Tax Assessment Office: Current Tax Assessment (and changes to property over last 10 years which points to construction completed with authorized permits), Official Property Sq. Footage, Official Land Sq. Footage, Zoning, Bedrooms, Baths.

From County Records Office: Mortgages, Deeds, Liens, Liens Satisfaction pieces. This helps me understand what they financed and when. I can educated guess the interest rate at the time and calculate, via amortization tables, how much they need to get out from under the mortgage(s). The deed gives me the official surveyor’s description of the land, complete with right of ways, jointly owned driveways, etc.

Posted Tax Tables by the city or municipality: I can determine the actual taxes for city, county, school property taxes instead of using the bogus numbers often posted on the MLS (since I know the assessed value from above).

From MLS or Realtor.com: (my wife is an agent. Obviously, I can not view MLS directly and WOULD NEVER look over her shoulder, but can have HER look it up.), I can get Days on Market, telling me how itchy to unload they are. I also get owner paid vs. tenant paid utilities. The only other (somewhat) reliable piece of information is the current rents. This only matters in the short term as I will inherit these tenants at this rent. I try to keep it close to the same if they are good tenants and good pay. If not, I raise the rents when the lease expires (or evict if they are not paying).

From Online FEMA Flood Maps: I determine if property is in the flood zone and will require flood insurance. If unsure or unable to determine from map, I call my agent who looks up the elevation on the SPECIFIC property.

I do a lot of the above before even seeing the property as I have all the sites bookmarked and can do so quickly. If I continue to like what I see, I schedule an appointment with my agent (my wife). If there are tenants, I must (usually) give 24 hours notice, which I do, but then still go immediately for an outside inspection and common area inspection (with a second inspection the following day). A lot of times, one or more apartments are vacant and we can see them immediately. While we inspect we make note of needed upgrades and repairs, plus how important they are and when they need to be done.

Finally, from experience, we know things like: the good geographical areas (vs. the bad), the current market rents, the regulations of the local governments (municipalities). There are also sites to help the newbie gather some of this info.

Thus, within about 3 hours (with the possible exception of inspecting the actual inside of the tenant apartments when they are occupied), I can start writing a contract.

4Reply
205 views

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2008 · 430 posts · 22 votes
    18y

    Good call. My wife is getting her real estate license soon. It will be great to have access to the MLS!!!!

  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    That is awesome information. Thank you for sharing.

    I got a phone call from my partner this morning, who excitedly told me that he just left an office where they have some kind of computer software program that allows them to type in almost any address and it spits out four separate screens of info (taxes, liens, mortgage owing, 2nds, and comps for the area along with a digital map etc) I told him to get the software program so we can start using it. It would be a life saver for someone who trades in real estate.

    Would anyone else like to know what the software is should I get my hands on it?

    Best,
    Joel

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Heathen":
    ...without leaving your office.

    That's a great way to make use of pubic records (excluding the MLS) to your advantage. Especially when gas is so expensive! :D

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Thanks Christian - I was wondering if I could chat with you & your wife sometime (after my personal mess goes away) - about the MLS, specifically things to look for....would she (and you) be willing to help me find what I may be looking for...? By the way - do you do any pre-foreclosures - or mostly just Bank REOs? Thanks - Ken

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y

    Sure. Let me know when you are ready.

    Actually, I usually do straight-forward deals with real owners (non-pre-foreclosure, non-REO); though I have done 4 REOs to date.

    I have been involved in some pre-foreclosures, though I have less experience in this area.

    Most of the time I find that after the low interest rates we have had for the last 5 plus years, properties are mortgaged to the hilt... way above market values (and certainly above what I am willing to pay).

    It is a much trickier game (pre-foreclosures) as the banks will only speak with you if you have specific, written authorization to do so from the morTgagee. Thus, you are negotiating with two (or more) parties.

    Put that all together and you are trying to negotiate a short sale with multiple parties - often through their seller's real estate agent (whom I find is more in the way than anything else).

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Heathen":

    Sure. Let me know when you are ready.

    Actually, I usually do straight-forward deals with real owners (non-pre-forclosure, non-REO); though I have done 5 REOs to date.

    Are REOs trickier to close, or is the process similar to regular owners?

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y

    More hoops, more paperwork, less flexibility with REOs.

    Can get better deals if you play the game right.

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "coglethorpe":
    Are REOs trickier to close, or is the process similar to regular owners?

    Check out the REOs and Short Sales forums here on BP. Read the back posts. There is a wealth of knowledge right here!

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    So - you just find great deals from the owners?? How do you end up getting such great profit margins?? Sorry to bug you but Thanks - Ken

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "kennyb545":
    So - you just find great deals from the owners?? How do you end up getting such great profit margins?? Sorry to bug you but Thanks - Ken

    In my mind there are two angles from which to approach purchases. The first is discussed throughout here and the second rarely is, if ever.

    The first, how do you get the numbers to work? is all over BP. There is even resources to the left and entire forums. ROI, the 2% rule, cash flow... it is all good. It is important. I am not minimizing the importance of it all (I do it myself), but it is only one side of the coin.

    The second, what is the current owner willing to sell the property for? Think limbo here, and "how low can you go" This is both art and science as too high is not the best deal you could get and too low insults the seller, making him hard with which to negotiate. But, why is HIS side of the equation important?

    Let us say that all of your math from part 1, says a deal at $70k is 2% (based on the mini-equation), meaning $1400 in rents divided by $70k is 2%. What do you offer? Not enough information, you say. OK, let us say asking is $77k. There is that old back of the napkin math that tells us that 90% of normal MLS properties (non-REO, non-pre-foreclosure) sell for 10% off asking (of course, this is in markets that are not hyper where bidding wars cause contracts to go over asking price - like DC). You conclude $70k is a good number based on the asking price as well. Hey, that matches part 1! Start at say $67k (hoping to get a deal and giving yourself some negotiating room) and plan to end up at $70k. What if I told you that you could have got it for $60k? How would you ever know how low you can go without insulting the seller?

    Use part 2 - the other side of the coin. Know what they need to get to totally break even (BE). That is: to pay off all mortgages, home equity loans, agent commissions, lien satisfaction recordings, transfer tax, etc. Get this info from the very first post of this thread. Take the BE #, add a reasonable profit for their pocket and compare to Part 1 above.

    That is the science. Sprinkle on a little art and you are a Real Estate Investor.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Thank you for this excellent post - very informative!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Great post, Christian! Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

  • Lighthouse Point, FL · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    is there a way to research projected tax on a specific property?? my city will allow me to search a specific property's tax for the past year...but how relevant would that value be if i were to purchase the property much cheaper than the previous sale??

    i was told that it usually equates to about 2% of the purchase price....so if i bought a house for $200K, then based on this rule, tax should be around $4k/year. but in my area, it seems that its much more than 2%.
    any insight?? btw, i live in South Florida. (deerfield beach to be exact).

    thanx, -Anthony

  • Real Estate Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2008 · 38 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Heathen":

    Sure. Let me know when you are ready.

    Actually, I usually do straight-forward deals with real owners (non-pre-foreclosure, non-REO); though I have done 4 REOs to date.

    I have been involved in some pre-foreclosures, though I have less experience in this area.

    Most of the time I find that after the low interest rates we have had for the last 5 plus years, properties are mortgaged to the hilt... way above market values (and certainly above what I am willing to pay).

    It is a much trickier game (pre-foreclosures) as the banks will only speak with you if you have specific, written authorization to do so from the morTgagee. Thus, you are negotiating with two (or more) parties.

    Put that all together and you are trying to negotiate a short sale with multiple parties - often through their seller's real estate agent (whom I find is more in the way than anything else).

    That's currently the situation I am in, I feel really lost even though I've read so much on real estate investing. The house I am living in is up for a short sale and I am dealing with the owner's agent, but I am not sure if that's the best way to go?

    Any advice? Should I just have a property inspector and appraiser come by and take a look at the property then once I get an estimate just submit my own offer to the owner, I guess through his agent since he's working with one.

    So many questionsss

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "APortuga":
    is there a way to research projected tax on a specific property??

    Yes. It is very easy. You need two pieces of information. First, the assessed value of the property. You can get this from the Recordee of Deeds office in your county, either online or at their office in person. Second, the millage rate. This, too, is public record. There can be up to 3, depending on your state and municipality. 1. county 2. city (or municipality, such as borough or township) 3. school.

    Then do the math.

  • Lighthouse Point, FL · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    so i multiply the assessed value by the millage rates??

    regarding the assessed value...wouldn't this GENERALLY be the same as the last sale's appraisal value? so, would the assessed value decrease if i were to purchase the property at a much lower price than the previous sale?

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Sorry - but NO definitely not - Appraised value and assessed value are two totally different things.....

    Example - we had an area locally that had not had a re-assessment since 1975...therefore - a property that I purchased had an apprised value of $20,300 - although I bought it for $65,000.....A few years later, we had a "county-wide re-assessment", and my assessment jumped from 20,300 to $69,000 (supposedly the market value at the time).....but keep in mind that the taxes are determined by multiplying the assessed value times the mileage rate - alas - my taxes jumped by nearly 300%......(it is not one of the worst places to invest because they never adjusted the mileage rates - the taxes are some of the highest in the county, but the properties are some of the worst (just not soct effective when adding in the taxes to the equation) - it forced many ederly homeowners out and real estate investors in....true story....I'll be selling this property in the next year or so.

    So - long story short - no - assessed value and appraised value are not necessarily the same thing....

  • Lighthouse Point, FL · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    ok. so, generally, if i were to purchase a property for much less than the previous sale (such as in a short sale or reo purchase) the taxes won't change much unless an assessment is completed???

    after looking at the appraisals website...they assess the land and the building....the land is what's a lot more "valuable" and driving up the assessment value. so does the land value change much since its land??

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "APortuga":
    ...the taxes won't change much unless an assessment is completed???

    It is hard to determine the reference point you are using in your question. I will assume you mean “as compared to last year.” Unfortunately, if you live in America, this is not true. Politicians are raising the property tax Millage rate almost every year in many areas of the country. It is a real problem. I could go on for a long time on politics in America as it relates to taxes and investment, but I will refrain at this juncture.

    If my interpretation of your question is correct, then the answer is “Correct. They will not change MUCH.” Of course it all depends on your definition of ‘much’ does it not?

    Originally posted by "APortuga":
    after looking at the appraisals website...they assess the land and the building....the land is what's a lot more "valuable" and driving up the assessment value. so does the land value change much since its land??

    Supply and Demand, my friend, supply and demand. This apparently is true in your area of the country, but is not true everywhere. Compare the cost of an acre of raw, unimproved land in LA or NYC or DC to any where in the Midwest. Are the cost to purchase the same? Of course not. So, now let us speak of a particular piece of land, in a particular town. Will its value go up, stay the same, or go down. The answer is “Yes. One of those choices.” This is based on the same basic economic factors that may cause a loaf of bread to change price or the hourly wage of your mechanic. For the most part, though, it will not change ‘much’.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    18y

    Sept 08: Thanks for the reminder to use the public records. Our county allows us to check names and a LOT of records.
    What specific ones should we be interested in?
    Hospital and mechanics liens, mortgages, notes, notices, judgements, what else?

    thanks,
    ofgift

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y

    My suggestion is, obviously, in the first post of this thread.

    It should cover all but the first item in your above list.

    Maybe I am missing something, but why do you add 'hospital'?

    Fee free to inquire further and I will happily get into it with you.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    18y

    I had found a hospital lien --lien for hospital bills --against an owner of a property I was researching. He owed money-a lot- to a local hospital, and the hospital placed a lien on the property.
    thanks
    ofgift

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    18y

    Wow! That one I had not heard before. It makes sense though.

    See, in our county's system, that would come up as a lien when I went to the lien section. So, I would not have to look elsewhere to easily find it.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    18y

    our county list of instruments starts at abandonment (6 different ones) and goes through the alphabet to writ execution, including
    12 affidavits and a couple amended ones, lots of amended items and ASGTs!
    So, how to narrow that really long list?
    ofgift

  • Vallejo, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Kevin Powell useful info

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.